Chapter thirty-two

My leg bounces nervously up and down, I try to ease the uncomfortable feeling by looking out the windshield of Carter's car. 

It's the first time since my birthday that I left the estate, but if it were up to me, I would still be home safely. Even though Nick has found a way in our home, it is still better than outside where anything can happen.

I know my brothers would never let me leave in a million years if they knew something could happen, however the need to head back and hide from the word doesn't go away. 

The past week I have transformed into a paranoid, overthinking, emotional mess. 

I try my best not to show it because everyone is already stressed enough, no way I will burden them more. So I have been busying myself, trying to shut my mind for a while, even if it doesn't really work. 

The only time when I'm set free from my own suffocating thoughts is when Sam visits. He came by every day of the week after school to keep me some company. 

Even though I saw him every day, it still wasn't enough. His presence is addicting, I find myself craving more. He's the only one who can make my heart jump with a simple smile. He's truly one of a kind.

Thinking about him makes me feel things I have never felt before. Feelings I have trouble understanding. And it scares the shit out of me.

"We're almost there." 

My head snaps to the driver's seat where Carter is sitting. A deep sigh accidentally escapes my lips which causes Carter to frown. 

"I thought you would be happy to leave the house for a few hours, after all you have been stuck there for a whole week," he notices without taking his focus off the street. 

I should be happy, but the nagging feeling won't go away. If I hadn't promised Jasmine and Cora that I would be there, I would have forced Carter to take me home. And after all I need a dress for the ball on Saturday, so I don't really have a choice.

Jasmine had been bombing my phone with messages the past week saying she missed me, and she would come by when the twins and I are no longer sick. Apparently Sam had told them that we had the flu. 

Normally I'm not a fan of lying, but I can't tell them the truth and get Jay and Jasmine involved in this mess. Maybe I can explain the whole story after this is all over. 

After Carter pulls over, I hesitantly climb out of the car. I take a deep breath of fresh air and tell myself nothing is going to happen. 

Carter placed his hand on my right shoulder, gives it a comforting squeeze when he notices the sombre look on my face. I don't even try to hide it from him because he already knows it anyway.

"I will be there the whole time. No need to stress this much, that's my job remember?" 

I look up at him and give a small, thankful smile. This man is always working his ass off for my family, especially for me, without asking anything in return. He's a sweetheart. 

We start walking toward the little boutique which apparently has the most beautiful dresses according to Cora. Luckily for me, Cora knows exactly the type of dresses people wear for such occasions because I have no idea at all. 

When I imagine a ball, I think of the fairy tail ones with the most unique dresses, beautiful music and dancing people. The conclusion is that I don't really know what to expect.

A bell rings when the door opens. The first thing I see is Jasmine and Cora laughing about something. When they see me walk in, they almost make ma fall to the ground. Two pairs of arms are wrapped around me.