There's still something here

Sometimes happy ever after loses the battle against reality.

Couples face all that they can together and then decide they've had their fill.

This is where Toni and Cheryl currently stood.

One day away from signing the papers and legally divorcing.

Toni had already moved nearly all her belongings out of Thornhill thus far, all that was left was her clothes which she saved for the end because she couldn't bare removing herself from their bedroom.

So here she stood one last time, watching as Sweet Pea and Fangs quickly and easily cleared the hangers from her side of the closet.

"We'll be back up for the boxes" Fangs addresses his friend who had now made her way over to the bed.

Such sadness and pain in her eyes but she knew what was happening was for the best.

Perhaps that's why it hurt so much.

Once the boys had disappeared down the hall Toni sat down on the velvet duvet she had come to love so much.

She ran her hands over the bed, feeling it's texture and trying not to let her thoughts run.

The last thing she needed was more reminiscing.

"I could've ordered you a moving company, you didn't have to come all the way out here." Cheryl's voice startles the serpent who jumps right up on her feet.

"No worries, the guys made quick work of it. I'll just take these and get out of your hair." Toni voiced, her eyes still avoiding Cheryl's.

She quickly wiped a stray tear from her face, one she hadn't even noticed, and walked around the bed frame to grab the rest of her things.

When she still felt her wife's presence she faced her, feeling her defensiveness begin to rise.

"I'm leaving, Cheryl please don't stand here and intimidate-" She starts to say before she Cheryl walks towards her and grabs her cheeks in her hand softly, looking into Toni's teary eyes and exposing her own heart broken gaze.

Cheryl's eyes flicker to Toni's lips as a pair of tears slide down her pale cheeks and she opens her mouth to speak.

"What the hell are we doing?" She asks in a breathy tone and Toni kisses the side of her hand which is still sitting on her cheek.

"What's best for each other" she admits and Cheryl shakes her head, scoffing and pulling her hands away this time.

"What's best for you.." she wipes her eye carefully with her hand and turns her back to Toni. "I wouldn't have left you. If I messed up if...if you forgave me I wouldn't just walk away"

"Cher-"

"You did the worst thing you could possibly do to hurt me and I forgave you, I built our love back up I did everything I could do and it wasn't enough for you. I-I'm never enough for you." She grips her hand into a fist at her side and never looks back at Toni.

She doesn't move, she doesn't say another word she just stays there.

She was waiting for Toni to speak.

"Nothing?" Cheryl's voice cracks and Toni realizes this is it.

This is her last hope, she's putting every bit of what she has left in this conversation.

She wants to fight, she wants to put it all out on the table and fight for them.

But Toni was done fighting.

She was done being the mess of a girlfriend that Cheryl Blossom would settle for.

"We're gonna be okay, Cher" is all Toni can say and that was it.

Maybe it was because Cheryl knew it was the end of maybe it was just one last beautiful memory to pay homage to their great love, but Cheryl faces Toni once more and races right up to her for a kiss.

She puts everything into the kiss and Toni couldn't be more confused at all the affection the redhead had managed in this one moment.

"Stop-" Toni tried to speak but Cheryl just kissed her deeper, pulling at the buttons on Toni's blazer.

Now it seemed she had more in mind than a simple kiss goodbye.

There she went breaking into routine and trying to push things further than they were allowed to go now. Given the circumstances.

"Stop. Please." Toni finally managed to pull away, holding Cheryl back by her waist. "This isn't...we can't. I have to go." Toni almost shouted, overwhelmed with all that was going on.

She fixes the stray buttons and hurries past Cheryl just as the boys return from downstairs.

"Get the boxes." She commands as she turns the corner and ends up out of the redheads sight.

Was that really how their story would end?