TWENTY ONE

Stella Rogers

Stella Rogers

"Alright, what do you see?" My brother asked, and I knew he was talking to Wanda.

"Standard beat cops, small station, quiet street, it’s a good target."

"There’s an ATM in the south corner." I said, and Steve hummed in agreement.

"Which means?" He asked Wanda, and she paused for a moment.

"Cameras."

"Good job." I praised her, and Steve cleared his throat.

"Both cross streets are one way."

"So, compromised escape routes?" Wanda asked, and I sighed to myself.

"It means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out."

"You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?" Steve asked, and Wanda took a moment to respond.

"Yeah, the red one? It’s cute."

"It's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. That'll probably be us." Nat chimed in, making me nod in agreement even though they couldn't see me.

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" Wanda asked, making me laugh to myself.

"Same, but having other skills can always be beneficial." I pointed out, and Nat immediately agreed.

"Stella is right, looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature."

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" Sam joked, and I kept my eye out for any sight of Rumlow.

"Not to my face, why? Did you hear something?"

"Keep your eyes on the prize please, folks." I tried to get my friends to concentrate, and I knew Steve would back me up.

"This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months, I don't want to lose him." My brother said, making me smile.

"If he sees us coming, that won't be a problem since he kind of hates us." Sam pointed out, and I bit my lip to stop me from laughing.

He wasn't wrong, after all.

A garbage truck grabbed my attention when it started pushing it's way through traffic, with no regard to pedestrians or any of the other vehicles.

"Sam, do you see that garbage truck?" I asked, and before he could respond, Steve spoke up.

"Tag it."

After a moment of waiting in anticipation, Sam analysed the truck before reporting back to us.

"That truck’s loaded for max weight, and the driver’s armed."