FOURTY FIVE

Loki Odinson

Natasha, Bucky, Steve and I decided to visit the Avengers compound after getting a concerned call from Bruce.

James Rhodes and Pepper Potts got a call too, but little to no time was spent interacting.

We weren't sure what he wanted, considering by the time we got there, a large rumbling cut off our greeting.

"Any idea what that is?" Steve asked, but Bruce shook his head.

"No, this is the first time this has happened."

I silently walked outside, and the others followed closely behind, until I saw an all too familiar ship.

It was the same one I woke up on after Thanos decimated the Statesman.

That must the Guardians.

The landing gears deployed as they touched down, courtesy of a woman holding the ship, and I watched eagerly while the entry hatch opened, but to my surprise, Tony walked out.

He was followed by a robotic creature I'd never seen before, but I was too busy rushing over to him, Steve by my side.

I hadn't thought about Tony all that much since I'd been mourning Thor and Stella, but against all odds, Tony and I had built somewhat of a friendship.

Through our teaming up a few years ago I knew he was an ally of mine for life, even though we hadn't spoken since then.

Tony grabbed my arm while I supported his weight, and he gave me a broken expression.

I could tell in his eyes that both of us had been haunted by Thanos for much longer than we'd been letting on, perhaps much longer than the others.

"Couldn't stop him."

"Neither could I." I responded, and Steve Pat his back lightly, trying to show his support.

"I lost the kid."

"Tony, we lost." Steve whispered, and Pepper rushed over to us, wanting to be with him.

"Is, uh-" 

"Oh, my god!" She exclaimed, and I watched the two hug tightly, making my heart drop.

I was happy for them, but the overwhelming feeling of pain coursed through my veins, making the void in my soul even larger.

I missed Stella.

"It's okay."

We got situated in a briefing rom while Tony got the medical attention he so apparently needed.

A holographic casualty report began listing the names and faces of those lost to Thanos, and I had trouble looking away.

"It's been twenty three days since Thanos came to Earth." Rhodey said, and I gulped, looking at the faces of everyone we'd lost.

I noticed Thor's face appear, making me look at the table, feeling the urge to throw up.

"World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working are trying to take a census, and it looks like he did exactly what he said he was gonna do." Natasha elaborated, gesturing to the screen.

"Thanos wiped out fifty percent, of all living creatures."

"Where is he now?" Tony asked, and Steve shrugged.

"We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through."

I saw Stella's photo appear, causing everyone to fall silent, mourning the loss of her.