THIRTY SEVEN

Loki Laufeyson

"This is the Asgardian refugee vessel Statesman. We are under assault, I repeat, we are under assault." I said, trying to make my voice as clear as possible while my brother was being pummeled half to death.

"The engines are dead, life support failing. Requesting aid from any vessel within range. We are twenty two jump points out of Asgard." I whispered, feeling myself begin to panic, my voice becoming desperate and hoarse. 

"Our crew is made up of Asgardian families, we have very few soldiers here. This is not a warcraft. I repeat, this is not a warcraft." I stuttered out, feeling the ship rumble from the several missiles being fired.

I quickly hid the fact I had signalled for help, and stood as proudly as possible while Ebony Maw walked among the bodies of my dead people.

I always hated him.

Heimdall was badly wounded, and I saw him reach out in an attempt to stop Maw, but lacked the strength to carry through. if he would stop Maw as he passes, but lacks the strength.

Maw stepped over the dead bodies with no care, as if they were just scattered pieces of dirty clothing on a bedroom floor.

It made me angry.

"Hear me, and rejoice. You have had the privilege of being saved by the Great Titan." Maw said, and I felt my heart shatter at the thought of being in that purple grapes clutches again.

He was my biggest fear.

"You may think this is suffering, no. It is salvation. Universal scales tip toward balance because of your sacrifice." He continued, and I looked at Thor, half unconscious, half dead, completely bloody on the ground.

"Smile, for even in death, you have become Children of Thanos."

I stood next to the Black Order, watching Thanos in fear while he stared out the large window, the same window I had been looking out of in excitement of seeing Stella again, not even thirty minutes before.

"I know what it's like to lose, to feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail, nonetheless." Thanos said, and the sound of his voice made my blood run cold and my chest tighten.

I watched him lift Thor by the neck of his breastplate, and my brother hopelessly fought back.

"It's frightening, turns the legs to jelly. I ask you, to what end? Dread it, run from it. Destiny arrives all the same, and now, it's here." He continued, and I stayed frozen in my place, silently hating myself for taking the Tesseract.

This was my fault.

"Or should I say, I am." Thanos said, holding up the gauntlet on his hand to reveal he already had the Power Stone.

"You talk too much." Thor choked out, blood coming from his mouth, and Thanos slowly dragged him over to me.

"The Tesseract, or your brother's head." He said, making me close my eyes, all hope of escape diminishing.

"I assume you have a preference."

I kept a confident composure, locking eyes with Thanos for the first time since I fell into his clutches.

"Oh I do, kill away." I said, and he looked surprised for a moment, but only for a moment.

He pressed the gauntlet to Thor's left temple, and the Power Stone began glowing brightly while Thor screamed out in pain.

I immediately began shaking out of fear and anger, but I wasn't angry at Thanos.

I was terrified of him, and angry at myself.