FOURTY SEVEN

Loki Odinson

I couldn't sleep.

The days passed as uneventfully as possible for quite some time, but most nights I just struggled to get some rest.

I didn't actually keep track of the days, but I knew it had been over a year since I lost Thor, and since I lost Stella.

The bedsheets had lost her scent, and the pillows felt more like mine since my smell masked hers.

Natasha led business from the Avengers headquarters, and occasionally Steve would pop in to help her out.

He spent a lot of time in meetings, trying to adjust as best as possible to the large changes in our lives.

Bucky and I stayed home, mutually leaning on eachother while we struggled to come to terms with everything.

"Hey, can I talk to you?" Steve asked, and I nodded, inviting him to come in my room.

Stella's things remained unmoved, and I didn't know if I would ever be able to clear them out.

"What are you doing awake at this hour?" I asked, and Steve shrugged.

"My thoughts were keeping me awake." He responded, looking at me intently.

"What about you?"

"The same." I smiled sadly, and he nodded sympathetically before clearing his throat.

"I uh," Steve started, taking a seat next to me and looking nervous.

"I think I'm ready."

"You think so?" I asked, and he nodded, holding the jar of Stella's ashes.

"I was thinking you and I could take a trip somewhere and do it together."

"Can I bring Thor?" I asked, making Steve smile sadly and nod.

"Of course, but only if you're ready."

"Yeah, I'm ready." I said, standing up and grabbing the jar of my brother's ashes, turning to face Steve.

"Are we leaving now?" I asked, making Steve nod.

"Well, should we bring Bucky and Nat?" I asked, but Steve shook his head, smiling a little.

"No, I already spoke to both of them."

"What did they say?" I questioned him, and Steve stood up, grabbing Stella's jar.

"They said this is something we need to do together."

"They're probably right." I sighed, and Steve nodded in agreement, gesturing for me to follow him.

"I was thinking we could go right now, and that way we can get where I want to be by sunup."

"We can scatter their ashes during the sunrise." I whispered, smiling at the thought, and Steve nodded.

"That's exactly what I was thinking."

"How far is the drive?" I asked, making Steve look in thought for a moment.

"It's a few hours."

"I'm with you, let's go." I said, holding Thor's jar close to me, and we walked downstairs to see Bucky sitting in the living room.

"What are you doing up?" I asked, and Bucky grabbed his car keys, turning to face me.

"Nat needs some help at the compound, I'm about to go see her." He responded, and Steve pulled him in for a hug.