TWENTY TWO

Stella Rogers

Stella Rogers

I silently sat with Wanda and Pietro in Wanda's room at the compound, watching the news report on the Lagos attack.

They blamed her for it.

"Eleven Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month."

Wanda bit her lip, and I placed my hand on her thigh reassuringly, while Pietro twiddled his thumbs in the seat across the room.

"The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred."

King T'Chaka appeared on the screen, looking solemn while he stood at a podium.

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil, not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them."

Steve walked in the room, and we locked eyes while I silently gestured to Wanda.

My brother nodded in understanding, seeing how upset she was by it all.

It was her first mission as an official Avenger, and she felt like she failed.

"Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all."

We got the weapon and killed Rumlow, but Wanda refused to focus on that.

She had innocent blood on her hands, and unfortunately, that was the only thing on her mind.

"The Wakanda king went on to-" the reporter said, but Steve turned the television off, taking a seat next to Wanda on the bed.

"They are operating outside and above the international law, because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these."

Where the hell is that coming from?

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri-"

"Nat, can you turn that off?!" I called out to her, and the sound of the news report was cut short by her switching off the TV.

"Sorry!"

"It's my fault." Wanda said, making me sigh and put my arm around her shoulder.

"No it's not." Pietro immediately jumped to her aid, and Steve nodded in agreement.

"That's not true." He tried to reassure her, but Wanda wasn't having a bar of it.

"Turn the TV back on, they're being very specific."

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it." My brother admitted, placing his hand on her knee in a friendly matter.

"Rumlow said 'Bucky' and all of a sudden I was a sixteen year old kid again, in Brooklyn."