FOURTY EIGHT

Loki Odinson

Bucky and I made the drive out to the compound, both of us feeling the tremendous need to get out of the house.

It had been a long, long time since I scattered Thor and Stella's ashes, but getting out of bed still proved to be a chore some days.

Perhaps even most days.

I did have good moments, as did the others, but life felt like it was dragging on most of the time.

I felt like I would never find someone like Stella.

Bucky and I had a cigarette on the way down, both needing a relaxant.

We talked about Stella while we smoked, and I knew they'd been heavily involved in the past, but I knew his feelings towards her were nothing more than platonic anymore.

I had been feeling significantly closer to Bucky recently, as I did with Steve and Nat.

They felt like family, and I was incredibly grateful for that.

By the time we arrived at the compound, we'd put our cigarettes out and I noticed Steve comforting Nat who was clearly crying.

"You know, I'd offer to cook you dinner but you seem pretty miserable already." Bucky said, and I laughed lightly at his attempt to ease the tension.

It worked, somewhat.

"Well how about I cook, and it might be half decent." I said, and Steve looked happy to see us while Nat wiped the tears off her face.

"Are you guys here to do your laundry?" She asked, but I shook my head.

"No, we just wanted to see some friends." I smiled softly, and we pulled up some chairs, getting comfortable across from the others.

"Well clearly, your friend is fine." Nat said, but Bucky shook his head.

"I think we all know that's not true."

"You know, I saw a pod of whales when I was coming up the bridge." Steve said, and I nodded in agreement.

"Yes we saw them too, beautiful creatures."

"Wait, in the Hudson?" Nat asked, looking slightly surprised, but somewhat happier.

"Yeah, there's fewer ships." Steve said, and Bucky nodded, tapping his finger on the desk.

"It means there's cleaner water."'

"You know, if you're about to tell me to look on the bright side," Nat started, and I snickered a little.

"Then I'm about you to hit you in the head with a peanut butter sandwich." She jokingly smiled, and we all felt the tension ease slightly.

"Sorry, it's a force of habit." Steve said, and Bucky took off his jacket, getting more comfortable.

"You know, I keep telling everybody they should move on and grow." Steve sighed, and I frowned at the table.

"Some do, but not us." I said, thinking about Stella and Thor.

I missed them.

I missed them so much.

"If I move on, then who does this?" Nat asked, making Steve shrug.

"Maybe it doesn't need to be done."

"I don't think it need to be done anymore." Bucky chimed in, but Nat immediately disregarded it.

"I used to have nothing, and then I got this." Nat said, gesturing to us.

"This job, this family, and I was better because of it."