12. Fight

The twigs gently snapped under my feet as I walk through the forest. Birds were chirping, singing throughout the woods as a new day was arising. I go to our favorite place to try and calm my mind down. Our field looks like it never changed. The grass was still tall and swayed in the wind, dancing with the breeze. The river continued to talk, babbling and rushing away. The giant tree still stood watching over it all as its branches slowly swayed in the wind. I sat at the base, looking over at the river. I haven't been here alone since I met Lucifer; he has always come with me. There's a topic, my soulmate Lucifer. The mark has corrupted him and turned him into an angry monster. Someone, I don't recognize anymore, a mad, dangerous, bloodthirsty monster. I watched him destroy a small village burning it to a delicate crisp along with everyone in it. I found him in the middle of the town, standing with his eyes glowing red as his chest fell up and down from anger. "Lucifer, what have you done?" I ask him, horrified, looking around at all the dead humans lying on the ground.

"Not now, Freyja." He clenched his fists as he huffed under his breath.

"Lucifer, you promised me!" I look around at everyone on the ground covered in their blood. The sight was horrific; knowing my soulmate was the cause of all of this. "Lucifer, why?" I question in dismay.

"Because I had to!" He snapped back at me, finally turning to look at me.

"No, you didn't! You didn't have to do anything; you did it because you can't control your loathing. I don't recognize you anymore; you are a monster." I point my finger at him as I stare into his eyes. "You aren't my soulmate; oh no, you aren't the Lucifer I fell in love with." I lose my temper I tried so hard to contain.

"YOU KNEW WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN! YOU KNEW I WOULD SNAP AND YOU PROMISED ME YOU'D BE BY MY SIDE! YOU GOING TO GIVE UP ON ME NOW?!?"

"Lucifer, I tried my best with you. It's been six months since you got the mark, and I've put all my effort into you. I've been by your side and haven't left! I've put up with so much shit for you!" I get in his face staring into his eyes. "I no longer recognize the man in front of me." I search his face for any remorse, but there was none. Even in his facial expressions is a foreign man.

"Freyja, stop!" He rubs his hands through his hair, flustered still controlled by the mark.

"I'm done! I can't do this anymore. You don't want to change!" I turn to go but felt him grab my arm, pulling me back to him. "Don't you dare leave me." He grits his teeth as he stared down at me.

"Let go of me!" I try to pull my arm away, but he held on tighter.

"You can't leave me; you are my soulmate." He glared at me. There was no love in his heart, and I could feel it; it was only anger inside of him. He hasn't shown me love or that he even still cares for me. All he has done these past few months is leave me in the morning to slaughter monsters, then come home and sit in his rocking chair. He sits and stares at me with fierce eyes as if he was planning something. I no longer feel safe around him; I'm scared for my safety.

"No...not anymore." I look up at him, heartbroken but know I could no longer help him. "You don't want to change, and you are just dragging me along. I can't do this anymore, Lucifer; I'm done." I try to yank my hand back, but he held tighter than before. "Let go of me." I glare at him.

"No, you are not leaving me."

"Stop, you are hurting me!" I try to peel his hand off of me, but he hit my hand away. I felt my heart race, knowing I was in too deep. He's going to kill me if I don't listen to him.

"You promised me, Freyja! Are you going back on your promise because I'm too hard to handle? You pagans always give up and turn on your own. I should have suspected this would happen. I thought you were different; I thought you LOVED ME! Now I see that is complete bullshit!" He threw me to the ground, making me slam into ruble. "I do love you; this isn't you. I've tried so hard to help you, but you don't want to change. You want to give in to the mark and kill and destroy."