32

Kaldur's arms wrapped around me and he held me close to his chest. The blood from his side stuck to my hand. I pressed my head against his shoulder.

"Breathe," he said. "You are safe here."

"I know."

"As much as you say that, you would think it would be true at least one time."

"Watch it."

"Forgetting that I am just as capable as you are at sassing people, are we?" His hand brushed hair away from my face. "Lying is not going to help you in this matter. If you were to talk to Canary, which I know you will not, it would put my mind at ease. Instead, I know you will continue to lie and say you think or know you are safe when in reality you are constantly looking over your shoulder for the next threat." 

"If I don't, I'm just going to get killed." 

Kaldur said nothing about that. What could he have said? There was no use in denying something I had long since accepted. The moment I was born I had a target on my back, and each year it kept getting bigger and brighter. At this point, I probably had one of those neon signs from Vegas. 

Extricating myself from his arms, I waved my hand. Water from a nearby pitcher rose up and wrapped around his side. The skin closed up, as if I had never stabbed him in the first place. A few seconds passed with Kaldur staring at me. He said nothing, just kept his pale green eyes narrowed. A question was on his lips, yet he never asked it. Opening his mouth, only to shut it a moment later, he messed with the hairband around his wrist. It snapped against his skin. I moved further away, and the next few snaps were loud and in quick succession. 

I bit my cheek. I sighed and leaned to rest my head on Kaldur's leg. Riptide slid from my pocket. Tossing it into the air and then catching it and twirling it and launching it back up, I fell into a simple rhythm. Kaldur combed his fingers through my hair, hesitant at first but quickly relaxing. They were both such normal things. I could almost imagine I was at home, really home. Home with Mom and Paul and not living in the Cave because Bruce wants me to accept his lifestyle. The thought made my heart ache. How much I wanted that to be true. I wanted to be home and I wanted it to be Mom letting me lay my head against her. 

"Is something else bothering you?" asked Kaldur. He didn't pause in brushing his fingers through my hair. I knew he was going to make me sit up so he could braid it at some point, but I didn't mind. His hands are nice.

"Why are they so concerned about me? It's not like I'm the one running around fighting criminals."

"You oppose the concept of children fighting. They do not know your reasoning for your opinions, and Robin and I both are not opposed to the idea, so they probably think there is something else at play. In a way, I suppose they are correct in that assumption."

"They also could respect my opinion on it."

"You know as well as I, the risks that could pose." 

"Doesn't mean I have to like it."

"No. No, it does not."

His hand slid from my hair down the side of my face to cup my jaw. It didn't linger long, as he soon went back to running my tangled mess of hair through webbed fingers. The gentle touch was welcome while it lasted, so much better than the rough grip that usually accompanied anyone holding my face. Kaldur's eyes never ventured towards my face. Mine, on the other hand, swept over the contours and angles of his. A soft hum rose from his lips, rumbling through his body. 

"Doesn't that feel weird?" I asked.

"What?"

"You have webbed hands."

"And?"

"You're running your fingers through my hair."

He tensed. "Percy, if you wish for me to stop, you do not need to-"

"I like you doing this. I just want to know if it feels weird." I stared at my hands, picking at the skin surrounding my nails. A little bit of paint sat around them, though I didn't know from where. When was the last time I painted my nails? I didn't care, and I knew that, it was just a distraction from the way Kaldur's hands paused. From the gentle 'oh' that left his lips, and from the way his fingers brushed my cheek. 

"I am used to the sensation. My mother's hair is much longer than yours. Do you mind sitting up?"

Called it. I sat up and moved until I sat in front of him. The gentle tug on my scalp was enough to keep me from wandering off into my thoughts. I fiddled with my hands in my lap. There weren't many options for things to do really. It was either that or staring at the wall. Part of me wished I had convinced him to move to the living room so I could at least watch tv. 

At the same time, did I really want to deal with the Team?

"Look at me, please," said Kaldur. I turned. He bit his lip and lifted his hands. He tilted my head from side to side, and he tilted it down. "I do not see any bumps." His hands fells away, and I sat there, staring at him.

And then, I leaned forward. My arms rested over his shoulders. The side of my head pressed against his. My fingers pulled at the material of his shirt. My heart hammered in my chest. If I let go of Kaldur, my hands would shake. Every other part of me was, why would they be exempt?

"Percy?"

I choked on my next breath. "I just-" I shook my head and pressed my head harder against his. Something was wrong. Something was going to happen. What? I didn't know. All I had was the aching, familiar feeling of wrongness. 

"I am right here," Kaldur whispered. "I have you. Breathe." He settled his arms around me again. I shook my head, still gasping for breath. Each time I tried to steady my breathing, I'd choke. It kept catching somewhere in my throat. Kaldur's chin dug into my shoulder and a constant rumble worked its way into my bones. Vaguely, I was aware it was him purring again.

"Sorry." My voice was strained. Breathing was still hard. 

"Do not apologize. Just rest and focus on breathing. Do you wish for me to leave?'

"I'll be fine."

He hummed. His arms tightened around me. "Get some rest. I will make sure the others do not bother you." 

The moment the door closed behind him, I wanted him to come back. The anxiety clawed at my throat again. I wanted him to come back.

Hope you enjoy, i get to walk 2 miles tomorrow yay

anyway, im in class, so you know, I'm going to go back to that so

Please put the idea chain here ------>

Also I have somewhat of an idea for the next chapter so..... who. knows what will happen

See yah