20

I was nervous. Sure, I could've went into some long description of how my heart was racing, of how I was sweating, and that I was pacing the room like I was trying to dig a ditch with just my feet. And sure, I could've mentioned the quiet sobs breaking through my lips, but given as I had more important things on my mind, saying I was nervous was going to have to do. I stepped through the large entrance way and made my way over to Dad. He stood from his throne and shrunk down.

"Percy? What are you-" Dad cut off as I crashed into him in a hug. My body shook, and I pressed my face into his shirt. "Are you okay?"

I never answered that. I didn't trust myself to. If we weren't underwater, tears would be streaming down my face. Instead, they mixed with the water. They weren't faked. Dad placed his hand on the back of my head, his other arm wrapping around me tightly. He guided me out of the throne room and towards the hallway, away from the prying eyes. 

"What's wrong?" He asked, still holding me close. "Did something happen?" 

I nodded. I didn't pull away from him. I probably should've, considering everything that he's put me through, but he's the only one who I can go to. He's the only one who would understand why I'm this upset, he's the only one who won't ask too many questions. "Do you know why I made them fight me?" My voice was soft. I didn't look up at him. 

"Because how are they supposed to protect you if they can't-" 

"I wanted to know they could protect themselves. I didn't want to start caring about someone just to have them get hurt. I've watched so many people get hurt, die, that I can't stand the thought of it happening again," I said. "I thought Kaldur would be able to take care of himself." 

"Thought?" Dad pried me away from him, holding me at an arms length. "What do you mean thought?"

I rubbed at my eyes. "I was at the Cave today, and the others had a mission. I wasn't allowed to go because I'm not 'trained'. They came back way before they were supposed to. Turns out, Kaldur thinks getting stabbed is fun!" The tears started running faster, and my body started shaking harder. "Knife right to the chest. A little to the left and he would've died."

I did what I could to help him, but it was hard to get close enough to heal him. Even then, there wasn't much my powers could do without me dying or passing out, or both not necessarily in that order.

Dad frowned. "He agreed to serve beside Orin, this doesn't have anything to do with-"

"Megan got attacked. Kaldur lost his medallion, and Megan picked it up thinking it got washed up. Monsters attacked her, Dad. She probably survived because she's telekinetic and Connor was with her."

"Hermes's boy?"

"No," I said, shaking my head. "Connor Kent. Superboy. If that had been Kaldur, I don't think he would've survived. You know how much monsters want me dead, you know they'll go after the people I care about. Look at what happened to Mom. I don't want to go through anything like that again, ever." 

Dad stared at me with his eyes sad. "I don't want you too either. Why do you think I set up an arranged marriage? I have control over everything in my domain, I can make sure you're treated well, I can make sure they never hurt you. I can make sure nothing bad happens."

"So you'd rather have me be safe than happy?"

"A lot of people learn to love their partners in arranged marriages."

"Kym didn't." 

"Gods aren't the best examples." Dad chuckled. "But I did my best to weed out less suitable candidates. The one who you beat in a fight was only there because I invited his cousin and I had to have him attend as well or else risk showing favoritism." He pulled me back into a hug. "I know you're still going to be upset with me no matter what, but I'm trying my best to keep you safe. Why do you think I'm mad that you're involved with Kaldur? He's not a member of a royal or even noble family. If you were engaged to any of those men, I could have you in my court, with guards I appoint, and no one, not even my brother, could complain."

"That doesn't change the fact that Kaldur might end up dead." The tears had stopped falling, but I rubbed at my eyes again.

Dad pulled me back into a hug. He pressed a kiss to the top of my head. "I can't help that, Percy. I can't change the fact that you're a demigod or that you were the subject of the two great prophecies. I can't change the fact that monsters will continue to hunt you and everyone you love. I wish I could. If it was up to me, you wouldn't have a hero's fate. But the Fates are cruel." He hugged me tighter than Tyson normally does.

"Dad, you're crushing me." My words were barely audible. He released me and I gasped for water. The corner of my mouth twitched as one of my ribs popped back into place. I stared up at him. "I- I know you won't let me get out of marrying someone, but can you at least move it back? I don't want to get married this early in my life. Especially when I might end up dying soon anyway. I'd rather not leave behind a husband and possibly kids when I'm not even an adult."

Dad sighed. "I'll think-" He paused. "Fine, I'll postpone it."

"Thanks, Dad." I smiled at him.

"You're welcome. Though you know it's hard for me to say no to that face."

"What face?" I asked, tilting my head.

He rolled his eyes. "You know what face I'm talking about."

"No, I actually don't."

Okay, I should be watching a lecture right now but I don't care. It took me longer than normal to type this since I'm on my laptop. I'm uh, not exactly the best typer.

(I'm gonna go work on stuff so can one of you start the chain?

it took about 40 minutes to get all of the names typed out)

And now, since we have hit the 20th chapter here is the thank you to everyone  who has helped including

@Enyo_Pendragon @Freakyfastreader7 @CrownPrincessSushi @Skoteino_fos1106 @RayRayGirlSaysHi @RainstarQueenbow @gabigabga @Monikavinda25 @Meandmyfandoms1230 @Daughter_of_Hades_47 @-heartofsilver @aussiedoglover @Pjo4life010206 @Court0fBooks @readingfrenzy1 @Blah0Blah0Books @myshka3 @bitchwutnow @Fire_Elleth @forever_a_mad_hatter @Evyran @JustARandomPhantomer @MarvelGeek117 @GargiPandey3 @OceanaMN @Falconress @charamanderpika @1234567890AP @MultiFandomFan1679 @2625SnowQueen @Aromatic_Satan @Yo_Soy_Kian @CaptainFandom1103

Thank you guys for helping make this book what it is

and now

See yah