19

"Kaldur!" Tyson pulled him into a tight hug. "You came!"

"Of course I did, my friend. I would not pass up an opportunity to spend time with you." Kaldur pulled away before glancing at me. I offered a small, wavering smile. His shoulders fell. He walked over and pulled me into a hug. I tensed up, but returned it. "My teammates did not hurt you, correct?"

"Who is that aimed at?" I asked.

"Both of you. You have made it very clear that you do not like the idea of child sidekicks. Superboy's temper is short."

"Hey, Percy. Wally's here so try not to punch- uh, aren't you Aqualad?"

Kaldur released me. "You can call me Kaldur. Hello, Wally."

"Hey, dude." Wally waved. "What's with the hugging?"

Dick looked between the two of them, perfectly mimicking confusion. "You two know each other?"

"He saved me from drowning," Wally said. I almost laughed. I'm guessing Kaldur has no idea that Dick is Robin and I'm not going to be the one to tell him. "But seriously, what was with the hug?"

"What's wrong with hugging people?" I raised an eyebrow. "Or am I supposed to wear a jacket not a friend?"

Kaldur snorted and lightly elbowed me. "Like you have friends other than me."

"I have more than you. Thalia, Nico, Travis, Conner, Katie, Clarisse, Chris, Will-"

"They are members of your family. They do not count."

"You say that, but you know the only ones I'm actually related to are Tyson and Fish Legs."

"You're going to die if you keep calling him that." Kaldur sighed. "Well, at least those two decided to leave." He was, of course, referring to Dick and Wally, who had slowly backed out of the room.

"Yeah, I really don't need another argument." I collapsed onto the couch. Kaldur sat beside me. That surprised me, along with him pulling me so my head rested on his leg. "Uh, Kaldur?"

"Yes?" He asked, doing something with my hair.

"What are you doing?"

"Braiding your hair."

"Why?" I raised an eyebrow.

"You act as though I have not done this before. Sit up." I did what he said. Kaldur sat on the back of the couch and started braiding my hair again. "Tyson, if you want to, I'm sure Percy can manage a simple braid."

"I'm not that bad. I don't even know how you're this good at it." I ran my fingers through Tyson's hair after he sat in front of me.

A chuckle left Kaldur's lips. "My mother taught me how to. She said it was imperative I learn in case I am taken on as a royal servant. It was only later I figured out it was so she could keep me occupied while she folded laundry."

"Okay, we were gone for five minutes. How did this happen?" Dick walked in with Wally, now accompanied by a girl with red hair. Unfortunately, it wasn't Rachel. Or should I say fortunately? With my luck she'd spit out another prophecy.

"Oh, so now it's a crime to have a braid train with two guys in it? Jeez, you're so judgemental." I rolled my eyes. I stared at Tyson hair, at the horrible braid. A load groan left my lips. "How come I can braid rope but not hair?"

"Because you do not practice," Kaldur said. "Hair tie."

I handed the one around my wrist to him. He wrapped the braid up into a bun before putting the hair tie around it. I don't know how he did it. It's hard enough to keep my hair in a ponytail, much less a bun.

"You look cute." Wally said, a wide smile on his face. "Think I could steal a kiss?"

"Think I could stab you?"

Tyson laughed. "You sound like Annabeth."

I tensed as her name left his lips. I forced a smile and tried to redo his hair. "I don't think she would have stabbed him, Big Guy. Probably dislocated his shoulder. Or judo flipped him." Kaldur's hand rested on my back as he slid down to sit beside me. He quickly removed it.

"I think she would have leaned towards stabbing him. I mean, how many times have you stabbed me?"

"You're about to make it a third time." I narrowed my eyes, hand closing around Riptide.

"Perseus, what have I told you about stabbing him?" Orin appeared in the doorway with Bruce. I sighed, why is this happening on the one day Kaldur is actually acting normal?

"That I shouldn't do it? You know that just makes me want to do it more. Arthur." I smiled, before asking how Mera was. That led into a conversation that was a lot less stressful than any other I could come up with.

All too soon, it was time for Orin and Kaldur to leave. I sighed and walked with them to their car.

"I'm sorry that-"

Kaldur grabbed my hand as I tried to mess with my hair. "I know you are sorry. You do not have to repeat it every time you see me. I am trying my hardest to not let this get to me. To know we will be married in a month is not an easy thing to ignore. Are you sure there is not a way out of this?"

"None of the gods are willing to cross my dad, even Zeus knows better than to get involved. Right now, anything short of my mom coming back to life and talking sense into my dad is going to end up with you dead and me married to some noble."

Kaldur chewed at his lower lip. "Try to talk to your father again. Maybe try to rein your temper in a bit. Perhaps play on his love for you."

"Are you telling me to emotionally manipulate my dad?"

"I am not one to suggest underhanded tactics, but this may be our only shot at stopping this. Or at the very least, we may be able to stall it."

I nodded and stood on my toes to press a kiss to his cheek. "I'd prefer getting out of it entirely. I'll see what I can do." At this point, I'm tempted to tell Dad that Kaldur and I had a fight and we broke up. Sure, I might end up engaged to someone else, but Kaldur could be happy and I wouldn't feel as bad as committing murder.

What?  Did I just update without a month in between?

It might not be exactly what you wanted but I tried my best.

Can one of you guys start the chain?

I'm trying to type as much as I can (plus plotting out an actual book is not fun. It's like is this the right pace? Or is it too slow? Too fast?)

Anyway

See yah