13

She was only using me as a fake boyfriend, as a way to avoid marriage to a man she does not know. I know that, so why has it been so hard for me to focus lately?

"Kaldur, were you even paying attention?" Robin waved his hand in front of my face.

I blinked, shook my head, and looked at him. "I am sorry. My mind is elsewhere." On the event, as it has been for the last week. "Where are we patrolling?"

"Gotham. Bats has a mission with the League tonight. It's going to be fun as long as it's not the Joker."

I nodded and fixed my waterpack. I followed the him to the Zeta Tubes and we soon met up with the rest of the Team.

"Does everyone have their coms?" I asked, fixing mine in my ear. Everyone nodded. "Good."

We started our patrol, stopping muggings and robberies, but there were no large incidents throughout the night. We gathered outside of a diner, yawning and rubbing our eyes, even Robin who out of everyone should be used to it.

"Do you guys want to-" Wally was cut of as something slammed into the bricks of the building connected to the diner.

Someone fell onto the ground and slowly picked themselves up, groaning. "That was unnecessary." They tensed and started cussing before running away, straight into me.  I was knocked over and I stared at Percy, my face heating up.

"Sorry but you- oh, uh. Hi." She quickly got up and wiped the blood from her face. "You need to get out of here."

"Why?" Artemis asked.

"Uh, I think that's why." Wally pointed towards the crowd of monsters charging towards us.

"Damn it." Percy mumbled. "Keep them out of this." She put herself between us and the creatures trying to kill her.

"You can't fight those things, you'll get killed!" Megan yelled.

Percy shrugged her jacket off and tossed it back to me before pulling her hair up. "I can handle myself."

"Oh really, Miss 'sidekicks shouldn't be a thing'?" Artemis crossed her arms, "What are you going to do? Lecture them?"

"Nah, I only do that to people who won't murder me. Hey, are you guys trying to murder me?!"

"Die, hero!"

"Yep. See? I'm not going to lecture them."

"Did they just call you a hero?"

"Uh- no?" Percy lied. She sighed and waved her hand. Water sliced through the monsters, turning them to dust. "I mean, some people might call me that but I'm not a hero."

She watched the golden dust absorb into the earth, and only relaxed once it was gone.

"You know I can argue against that, correct?" I said.

She walked over and picked up her jacket. "I'm sure you could. I'll see you later." She kissed my cheek.

My face heated up again and the rest of the Team stared at me.

"Uh, dude. What was that?" Wally looked at me.

I never answered him, instead mumbling that we should get back to the Cave so I could start on my reports. They were obviously reluctant to let it go, but they seemed to realize they would not get an answer out of me.

I was soon in my room, staring at the blank mission report in front of me. I tried to focus on recounting the crimes we stopped and any that seemed to have connections to villains or an organized crime syndicate. No matter how hard tried, Percy came to mind.

"She doesn't love you." I mumbled, tightening my grip on my pen. "She's just using you. You know this. You are okay with this. You know she would not do this if there was any other choice, so stop thinking about it."

At one point, I put my head in my hands. I cannot have this distraction if I am to lead the Team. I cannot put them in danger. I could tell Percy that I cannot do this, but then she would be forced into a marriage and I do not want one of my best friends to go through that.

With everything she has gone through, she does not deserve that. She should be free to make her own decision on who to marry or make the decision to not marry. Her father should not make her follow traditional Atlantean marriage customs when she was born on the surface, when she was raised with the expectation of being able to marry who she wanted. He gave her no warning of what that event was for, and when she attempted to socialize with me she was pulled away.

I have been her friend since before I became Aqualad. Her father has always been adamant that she fulfill some sort of royal role, so for part of my military service I was assigned as her guard when she was undersea. For the councilman to pull her away from me when she was relaxed, something that has always been hard for her, it shows how little he truly cares for her wellbeing.

I sighed and leaned back in my chair. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the small medallion. Technically I should be wearing this, but I do not see a need to. Especially as if we are against Ocean Master or Black Manta or any of my king's enemies I may become a target.

I ran my thumb over the trident. I closed my hand around it. It means nothing.

Hello

I'm gonna get mac and cheese can one of you lovely folks start the chain please?

Thank you.

I'm hungry

See yah