23

"How could they not tell us this?!" Connor's hands clenched into fists. "Kaldur's letting this get in the way of doing our job."

"Guys," Wally said. "Percy's completely against the idea of kids being sidekicks. Why would she date one? It would be like me failing a basic chemistry class, it doesn't make sense."

I sighed and hung off of the chair, fixing my sunglasses. "I can swing by her uncle's place and try grilling her. But I think this was Black Manta trying to mess with us."

"Then why aren't they saying that? Kaldur has been avoiding us, Percy's been avoiding us, and they've only talked to each other and Aquaman. It's shady."

"Says the girl with-" I started only to get glared at through her own sunglasses, which hid a black eye. I flipped off the chair. "Hey, Megan, how do you feel about reading her mind?"

"I thought you guys told me I'm not supposed to do that."

I grinned. "Second rule Bats taught me, as long as you don't kill anyone it's fine."

"I thought it was don't get killed?" Wally asked.

"There's thirty different sets of rules. I'm talking about the first rule he taught me on gathering information. Second one is don't get caught."

"I don't know." Megan rubbed the back of her head. "It still feels wrong, but-" her eyes glowed. We sat in silence until they went back to normal. She sighed. "Nothing."

"What?" I asked.

"She had mental walls. I can't even get a surface reading. I can't pick up on what she's thinking at all."

My eyebrows drew together. "I'm going to go see if I can find her." I walked out and through the halls of the Cave. My fingers trailed the walls and I stopped outside the living room. Laughter emerged from inside.

"How are you so bad at this?" Percy asked. "This is a children's game."

"How well do you do at any of the games I try to teach you?"

"Better than this. Now come on. Miss Mary Mack, Mack Mack, all dressed in black, black, black with silver-" She started laughing. "It's always the same place." I peeked inside and saw them sitting on the couch. Percy wiped her eyes. "My gods, this is so funny."

"No, it is not. Or do I have to bring up half of what has happened to you?"

"That's more traumatizing than funny. Do you have any idea how fun it was to be the only girl locked in with a bunch of pirates?" She shuddered. "Thankfully stabbing them made them leave me alone."

Kaldur frowned. "I suppose that is another chalk on the trauma bored." He sighed and leaned backward. Percy stayed sitting up.

"Yeah, that brings me up to like a hundred, doesn't it?"

"We have been past one hundred for a long time. We included everything from your mother's first marriage."

Wait. Sally was married before? I knew she was married to Paul and Percy's parents weren't married, but Bruce mentioned nothing about a different husband. So did he know about- Who am I kidding? Of course he knew, he's Batman. Then again he didn't know about Tyson.

Percy sighed. "Thanks for bringing that up. Time for recurring nightmares. Woo!" She fell backwards and kicked her legs onto of Kaldur's. He moved his so they were ontop.

"You have not had a good night's rest since you started staying with us. Do not blame me for nightmares."

They kept teasing each other for awhile and I decided to sneak back to the others before I could get caught. They stared at me, even Connor who couldn't hear outside of the room since it was still secured.

"So?" Wally asked.

"Apparently Kaldur is horrible at Miss Mary Mack, Percy's mom was married before, and Percy really does have an obsession with stabbing people."

"And none of that tells us anything we want to know," Wally said. He pulled a bag of chips from his pocket and started eating them, so fast I'm surprised he didn't accidentally eat the bag. The thought made me laugh. Maybe Wally would develop an edible packaging for food.

"They didn't know I was there, so they were acting like they would if they were alone. If they were- Artemis, where are you going?"

"To ask. Spying might be good and all, but we're not going to get an answer out of them unless we ask."

I looked at the others before following after Artemis. When we made it into the living room, Percy had moved to drape herself on the back of the couch. She stared at the television, which played some sort of movie. Occasionally she'd make a comment in Greek and Kaldur would laugh.

A chimera appeared on screen and whatever Percy said made Kaldur almost fall off of the couch before he responded. She shrugged.

"Hey guys." Artemis picked up the remote and muted the show, causing a  'hey!' to leave Percy's lips. "We wanted to ask you something."

"What is it?" Kaldur asked, ignoring Percy as she tried to get the remote from Artemis. Eventually he grabbed the back of her shirt and pulled her back to the couch. Glaring at him, she pushed him off of the couch. "Was that necessary?"

"Was it necessary to pull me by my shirt? You know I don't like that." A haunted look appeared in her eyes. She shook her head. "I think I'm going to go home and help Tysonvwith whatever he's doing. I think he was trying to make me a new watch."

Artemis blocked her as she tried to get up. "First we need to talk about what Black Manta said."

Wow. This is bad.

But someone please start the idea chain because I need to feed my animals and start cleaning my room.

I hate it, but it's getting me out of something I'll hate more.

See yah