12

"Your Highness." Orin greeted. Kaldur, who stood a step behind him, repeated the greeting.

I rolled my eyes. "I know we're supposed to maintain a level of formality during these things, but the two of you need to stop before I stab Kaldur a third time."

"I would prefer getting stabbed over being killed."

I laughed softly and smiled at Kaldur, only to stop when my 'handler' shot me a sharp look. The smile fell from my face and I sighed. "I appreciate your presence here. Perhaps we can speak later."

They nodded and moved along, leaving me and the resident royals of the city-state to greet guests. The other nobles wore some of their best clothes, their sons in tight fitting outfits showing off their muscles, or lack thereof. Each of the sons kissed my hand and it was all I could do to avoid decking them. I would get so much Hades if I did.

Soon, everyone had arrived and I was forced to mingle. The councilman pulled me from group to group, explaining who each family was and what they had to offer.

When we came to Orin and Kaldur, the councilman tried to pull me away, but when I refused he sighed.

"Orin is the King of Poseidonis and Atlantis. He has no male children, though his wife is pregnant and did not make the journey. By his side is his chosen champion, Kaldur'ahm of Shayeris who has no noble blood."

"I know who they are." I rolled my eyes. "Are you enjoying yourselves?"

"You know I enjoy these events as much as you do, Your Highness." Kaldur bowed his head, trying and failing to hide his smile. Orin elbowed him.

"Your Highness, we still have many people to talk to, many who are suitable marriage candidates."

Weight hung heavy on my heart as I was pulled away.

"Your Highness, you look stunning." A dark haired boy kissed my hand.

"Residents nobles of Lemuria, the patriarch of the family is a distant relative of King Orin. The young lord-"

He got interrupted by the master of the house inviting everyone to the floor to dance.

To anyone else, it would have been a welcome escape, but for me it was a doorway to greater misery. Hands went further down than they were supposed to, and I could do nothing about it. I had to bite my tongue and smile, pretending to enjoy the company of the myriad of men.

"May I have this dance?"

"I don't have a choice."

Kaldur rested his hand on my waist and kept it there as we danced, making him the first person to do so.

"Your skin is soft." He commented. "New lotion?"

"You should know, you got me it for my birthday last year."

"It was payback for when you got me shampoo."

"But it smells good and I keep forgetting to use it, so I still have a lot left."

Kaldur tightened his grip on my hand, and his lips pulled into a smile. "I am glad you like it."

A hand grabbed the back of my top and I was roughly pulled away. The councilman glared at me.

"You know the purpose of tonight's event."

"Actually, I don't."

"To select one of the noble suitors to become your future husband. You cannot waste your time with the riffraff here by grace of their ruler."

"I did not agree to this." I growled.

"Why do you believe you have a choice? You will be married to one of the men here and you will fulfill your marital and royal duties. The only choice you are afforded is how your future husband will be chosen."

My hands shook and the water around me swirled violently. Then it stopped. Options ran through my mind and I sighed. I can't get out of this, but I can do something that will get me out of it, if that makes any sense.

"They have to fight to win my hand."

"The princess has decided that whoever wins a tournament of fights will win her hand in marriage!"

Wow. He gave me a lot of time to change my mind. There was a flurry of activity as the nobles grabbed their sons and rushed to prepare. I fixed my tiara, wincing as it pulled at my hair.

The tournament took a lot shorter time than I thought it would, both to set up and complete.

The winner was from someplace I couldn't remember. All I knew was he was tall, deathly pale, and had brown hair. Oh, and he was one of the worst guys there.

As his opponent laid bleeding he looked up at me. "I suppose this mean I will be-"

"Oh no. You're not done yet." I grinned and everyone stared at me.

"Your Highness, what do you mean? My son won the tournament in accordance to what you wished. That means he shall become your husband."

I stood up from my seat and pulled Riptide from my waistband. "There's one last person you have to fight." I uncapped my sword. "Me."

"I am not going to fight a girl."

I chuckled and floated down into the arena. "Then your forfeit. So yeah, it might be easier for you to forfeit. At least you'd maintain your dignity."

He took a deep breath and raised his sword before charging. It didn't take long for me to disarm him.

"Wow. Okay, that was sad. I know children of Hypnos that fight better than you. But on the bright side, I don't have to get married."

"Your Highness, you must pick. You are not permitted to leave until a suitor is chosen." The councilman crossed his arms. "Your father has ordered it."

"Well I don't see why I should have to pick some guy I've never met."

"I could explain this but I do not feel like arguing. Give me one reason why you shouldn't have to pick from one of these suitable young men, besides you have not met them or anything I can dismiss with this being tradition."

"Because, uh, well-" I slowly swam to the side, towards everyone who wasn't a suitor."I already have a boyfriend." Without warning him, I kissed Kaldur.

Here you go my friends.

I might head to bed or watch anime so can someone else start the idea comment chain please?

See yah