Chapter 30: looking rather dreadful

I woke up the next morning, still confused about the letters yesterday.

I wrote Fleur the next morning telling her how happy I am that she found someone. I also wrote my brother back just telling him about my summer and my first day back.

I ran down to the owlery quickly before the start of lessons

In the first week nothing special happened. I was still delighted that I now had Circe by my side. Teachers were already stressing us about the exams at the end of the year and have us ton of homework

I found myself zooming out in class and getting lost in my own thoughts, looking out of the window..

I thought mostly about my future. I didn't know what I was supposed to do after I graduate this year. It bothered me that I didn't know what would happen to me and how I would evolve.

As the second week of September rolled around, the days started to get shorter and it rained all day. The rain pounded against the window

The only thing I was looking for was the upcoming Quidditch season. I had to try-out again, because they needed another beater last year since I was gone and she is supposed to be a pretty excellent player. I haven't played Quidditch in quite some time though.

I was sitting in the common space doodling on my parchment, I was supposed to do my homework as I was watching out the windows.

"Y/N!" I heard someone say and looked at Circe "I was just taking a walk to the owlery and well there was an owl lying on the floor looking rather dreadful and I saw that it had a letter attached to its leg and when I took it off it had your name on it. Even though I have to say that the handwriting is not the best but I guess I was able to read it you know" she finished off and handed me the letter, breathing fastly.

It was still sealed and when I turned it around it actually did have my name on it. As Circe said that the handwriting was bad I hoped for a single second that it would be from Fred but his handwriting looked different.

"Shit! I was supposed to meet Lee 5 minutes ago" Circe realised "I'll leave you with your letter! See you back in the dorm later" she said before leaving "and you need to tell me about the letter!" she shouted afterwards

I opened the letter and as I was reading the first line immediately realised that it was a different handwriting than the one of the envelope, but a familiar one.

Dear Y/N,

Oh god where do I start this. So funny story: I am sitting in the common room right now. It is 2 a.m. but writing this letter was the first thing I wanted to do as soon as I got to Hogwarts.

Honestly things have been awful back home. I can't tell you much though.

I hope that you are doing alright. I think that you are back to Beauxbatons now too.

Ok now to the most important part:

I am so awfully sorry that I didn't write to you at all. I don't know if you wrote to me and if you ever gave up.

I know this might sound like a bad excuse but I would have sent you a letter but I wasn't allowed to . I can't tell you why sadly.

I know that you are angry at me and stuff but I really, I really wanted to write to you, I promise! I just wanted able to

My mind is not completely working completely right now but I just wanted to tell you that I am sorry and I wanted to tell you that I am okay, in case you were wondering.

George and I are trying to come up with someone that will allow us to talk in a different way than letters. (We already have an idea and if it works I will send it to you!"

I love you and miss you (a tiny bit hehe) get a room

Fred <3

P.S. Lee wrote "get a room" when I wasn't looking

Was this really happening? Did I really get a letter from him after I gave up most of my hope?

I had mixed feelings about the letter. Of course I was relieved to know that Fred was alright and that nothing had happened to him, but there were so many unanswered questions. Like why he wasn't able to write to me or he couldn't tell me certain things.

I know that he wrote in his letter that he wasn't allowed to tell me anything but I still found myself wondering about it all day.

At last I got myself to write a small response to him

Hey Fred,

I am happy that you are alright. Honestly deep down I only hoped that you didn't forget me.

I also hope that what you and George are working on will be ready soon so that you will be able to tell and explain everything to me.

I can tell you more about my summer too because I am too lazy to put it all into a letter. Well Alicia might have already told you a bit though.

I hope to see you sometime soon in the future

I love you

Y/N xx

I sneaked outside to the owlery, even though it was past curfew, and when I arrived I saw that the owl was still sitting in the corner.

I handed her a biscuit I had in my robes, before adjusting the letter to its leg.

"To Fred Weasley, Hogwarts" I told it but it seemed to understand who to deliver the letter to after I said "Fred".

It hooted happily before taking off and leaving the owlery, disappearing into the night sky...