John Laurens: Oh, I Might Just Try 🌧

(Trigger Warnings: 9/11 Attack, Suicide)

John smiled at his group of coworkers as he strutted past them, sipping his coffee and sitting at his desk. He set his cup of coffee down, humming softly and powering up his computer. "Another day, another hundred trading calls.." He chuckled darkly under his breath, adrenaline rushing through his veins from the several cups of coffee he had that morning just to stay awake.

John was lucky enough to land a job at the World Trade Center in New York. Countless job interviews with several different companies and buildings, some even in towns far away from home where he would have to move away from family. He worked on the 87th floor, high above the beautiful city of New York. He plugged in his headset and set up his work station, clicking a button to start his day.

Soon enough, John's break alarmed from his phone. From 8:30-9:00. John stood up, smiling cheerfully as he made his way to one of his friends' cubicles. He folded his arms over the wall that gave the cubicle privacy, whistling and giggling. Alexander, his friendly coworker, had just got on break five minutes ago. "Hey, John!"

"Hey! You wanna take a walk with me?" John suggested, and with it, Alexander nodded. He stood up from his seat and removed himself from his workspace, walking in a random direction with John by his side. They blabbed about whatever came to mind, work, their personal lives, relationships, you name it.

"What time is it?" Alexander asked, glancing over at John. John pulled out his phone, clicking the home button. "8:45." Alexander nodded.

"Okay, I gotta get back to work at 8:55." Alexander wiped his nose, walking to the refreshments corner of the floor and refilling his cup of coffee.

"Wow, look how low that plane is flying!" Someone else who was on their break as well stated, pointing to the windows where a plane flew about the height of their floor. Everyone looked over, John and Alexander too, when the plane took a heavy sharp turn. It flew straight towards the building beside them, the other tower. Confused gasps were let upon the entire floor, when suddenly the plane flew right into the tower, smoke, dust and flames exploding from the hole in the tower. The sky darkened with the black smoke that escaped from the tower, terrified screams let out all around the workers. Papers flew about as people pushed their way towards the elevator, John shoving people inside to save them. Alexander was shoved in as well, and he attempted to yank John inside. But not everybody was off the floor yet. He mouthed a few words, but none were distinct due to the amounts of screaming and frantic speaking. What his lips read was something along the lines of, "I have to get them to safety first!"

The elevator closed, sending the group of people down to the first floor. John and a few more people held each other tight, huddled in the middle of the floor where it was presumably safest, Once the elevator had made it back up, John shoved the rest of the people in the elevator. John went inside as well, but a sobbing from the other side of the floor made him bolt across the room. John picked up a woman who was sobbing in the corner of her cubicle, and the elevator door began to close. John sprinted, throwing the woman through the small crack of the elevator doors before it shut, leaving him alone. He checked his phone frantically. 9:01. A second plane appeared into view, barreling through the sky at the speed of light towards the tower John was in.

One more crash and boom erupted through the air when the plane hit a few floors right above where John was, smoke covering all windows from John's view. Windows shattered to pieces, debris and rubble flying down the tower to the ground below. A loud crash from the elevator caused John to flinch. The elevator had broken. He can't get down, he couldn't. The rubble was beginning to fall all around him as the building collapsed.

I wish that I could fly..

John swiftly made his way to a window, ducking a large piece of rubble as he did. He stared ahead at the glass of the window, which broke almost as if on command. Thousands of screams, car horns, explosions and booms filled John's ears.

Way up in the sky..

John looked up, the smoke flooding the beautiful blue sky out of view. Chaos flew rampant around the city, smoke, dust and fire flying about to create a hell-ish hue to the scenery.

Like a bird so high..

John took a step, holding onto the window frame for the dear life he knew he would be losing any minute now. The only chance he had left was to jump.

Oh, I might just try..

John leaned forward, bracing himself for the death he knew was coming. In an instant, his body was barreling towards the ground, but he couldn't see anything. His eyes watered, everything was black yet colorful at the same time as he squeezed his eyes shut as tight as he could.

This was his death.

Oh, I might just try..

{Word Count: 881}