the new era

"Oh my god Lis, you're so cute!"

"Stop it Chaeng. I'm more hot than cute."

"Yah, just be contented with cute," Jisoo teases their youngest while eyeing her with a big smile on her face, "But honestly, it suits you."

Jennie dries her hand. She just finished washing the dishes when she heard the two gushing over Lisa, who just came in.

She still feels bummed because of her hangover, but hearing Lisa's voice made her heart race in nervousness.

"I know right," Lisa replies with a grin, not noticing Jennie's presence. It gave her time to take in Lisa's appearance with her now short hair.

Jisoo was right. It suits her...

And that's when Lisa finally took notice of her presence.

She was panicking internally, her lungs suddenly short of breath, until Lisa smiled at her. Why was she smiling? Does she look funny, was it the hangover? Or was Lisa being sarcastic- nonsense, the girl has been nothing but sweet to her all these years. She has got to stop overthinking and engage like a normal human, or probably just return the smile.

"Morning, Jennie unnie."

Jennie's knees weakened, realizing how much she missed this Lisa. Would throwing herself in Lisa's arms be too much?

But... Unnie?

Instead, she put on a small smile and tried to act normal, "Y-You look nice. Good. Great, actually."

Jisoo looked as if she wanted to give the girl a thesaurus, suppressing her laughter while at the same time feeling awkward, while Chaeyoung was trying to sense the atmosphere between the two with furrowed brows.

Lisa chuckled, "Thanks."

Something definitely shifted. If it was any giveaway, Jennie didn't want to think on why the short hair. Lisa has always loved the hairstyle, anyways.

"I won't take long. I'm just here to get Lili," Lisa glares at Chaeyoung, "Someone catnapped her last night, you see."

"How sure are you that Lili didn't willingly come, though?" Chaeng asks in an innocent tone.

"Well, I'm sure she doesn't know which floor our dorm is nor does she know how to operate the elevator."

"I'm not so sure about that, she's the smartest cat I know."

It makes Jennie smile seeing the two bantering, as if nothing was ever wrong in their group. She bit her lip and looked away when Lisa caught her staring, though.

"Uh, Lili's in my room. I'll get her for you," Jennie muttered awkwardly.

"Thank you."

Jennie came rushing to her room, only to see the cat still asleep in her bed. Placing her hand over her chest, she tried to even her breathing.

Calm down, Jennie. Calm down.

"Jennie."

Holy fucking shit.

She turned around with a forced smile, masking her surprise when she heard Lisa's voice from behind her.

"Hey, Lili slept here with me last night," she says, surprisingly in a calm tone while continuing her way to her bed.

"I actually... wanted to talk to you about something."

Jennie trained her eyes on the Thai, hearing her own heartbeat beating frantically.