Chapter | NINE

[HOW MUCH IS A LOT?]

In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.

"I already wired the money." 

"Sera, I told you to send more for Seohyun. She joined that tour to Jeju-do and she needs additional money to buy new clothes to bring there, how many times do I have to explain this to you?"

"I told you I was suspended and I still have two months ahead before I can go back to working at Jackals, Aunt Minyoung. That's what I was trying to -"

"Fuck your excuses! Listen to me, I don't know how you'll get it or where but you have to send that money tomorrow. I'll let Seohyun use what you wired so she can buy the things she needs but you have to send the rest early so I can pay our bills, do you understand me Kang Sera?"

"I'll see what I can do." I stated firmly.

"Do we have to talk about this again?"

"No." I quickly retorted in a perpetually tired voice, I know she's not gonna stop not until she hears what she wants. 

"I'll send what I have separated for my allowance, but that's all I have - I can't send the same amount of money that I just wired to you today. I'll hang up now, I need to go." I disconnected the call and shove the phone into my back pocket.

I stood in front of the cafe and stare blankly at the street, thinking of ways to solve this fucked-up obligation that my Dad left me. I am tired - no that might be an understatement, I am fucking exhausted and I really wanna tap out but how? I bit my lower edges and tilt my head down feeling helpless.

"Everything okay?" Baekhyunie suddenly queried making my body jolt being startled, I hope he didn't hear that conversation, or else it will be too awkward for me.

I pushed a smile and a gentle nod desperate to convince him that it was all good. We just had dinner at a fried chicken house at Jung-gu then drove to Chungmuro for coffee. I don't want to ruin this night - not after having a surprisingly relaxing and pleasant dinner with this nice man.

"Uh - maybe I should head home now. I have work tomorrow and it's quite early."

"Sure, yeah just let me just get the tab then the car." he went back in then out after a few minutes.

We are still fifteen minutes away from Itaewon where I am renting a tiny weathered apartment, I might just ask him to drop me off around the corner then walk - not that I am embarrassed with how fucked-up my life is, it was more of the concern that he might think I am befriending him because I am in need of saving.

"Why do you like me?" I shot out of the blue.

"Hmm?" he hummed obviously stunned by my sudden question.

"Please, don't say you like me because I am - pretty." I countered getting tired of hearing that shitty reason for like a million times over.

"Well, that's one thing - I have about ninety-nine more."

"Very funny, Baekhyunie! For sure you can have any girl in your lane even from a different lane by just flashing that smile so - why me? I am a fucking mess." I reasoned out.

"Uhm, I am a fucking mess too."

"Uh - I am a nutjob."

"Same."

"I have a freaking wicked life, I am no princess, and don't even start me with our status difference like - whoosh!" I gestured my hand going up like a rocket which makes him giggle. "That far!"