1

The loud clang of the two's blades could be heard from afar. The force she had put onto his blade from her own was far too much for him to handle as he stumbled back.

"I got you again, good fight Nick." You said as you walked to the exit of their homemade fighting ring.

"Wait-" Nick said with a breathy sigh. "Y/N, WAIT" this made you turn around almost immediately, since Nick almost never yelled. 

You turned to see the boy slouched like a lifeless sack of potatoes on the ground with a menacing grin on his face.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" You asked confused. When you had beaten Nick in the ring, he always accepted defeat. "I want to challenge you again"

You shrugged your shoulders and put a tight grip on your sword as you ran towards your brother. You two had always been into PVP which is why your dad had made you guys a fighting ring when you were little that you  still use today. Although you two had gotten too big for the fighting ring, you guys practiced in it often as it was good for close combat, but you were never able to practice with bows and arrows in the ring, which happened to be something that Nick was particularly good at. 

Both of your blades clashed against each other again, again, again, and again. The sweat dripping down his face was evident but he didn't give in. Y/n always knew how to move her blade so that it would be uncomfortable for the other person, which soon took a toll on Nick's joints as he let go of his sword and fell to the dirt floor exhausted. 

"Nick we're really going to have to practice your close combat skills tomorrow." You said as you picked up his sword off of the ground and brushed of the dirt. As you headed to the entrance of the ring you noticed a car pull up. No one knew where you guys lived since you lived in the country side, where your next neighbor was about 2 miles down the road. 

Your dad rushed out of the house quickly and took the crisp envelope from the man's hand and scurried just as quick back into the house again.

"Who was that?" Nick asked as he lifted his head ever so slightly to look up at you.

"I'm not too sure, but dad had a worried look on his face. I'm going to go inside, it's getting late." you said as you looked up into the sunset sky.

"Wait for me y/n!"

As you got back into the small cramped house you saw your dad sitting at the small dining room table with his head in his hands. As you walked over to the table, you pull the small stool from underneath causing his head to shoot up. His eyes were bloodshot and puffy and his cheeks were stained of tears.

"Wha- dad what's wrong?" 

 You haven't seen him cry this much since your mother left you guys for a rich man in the city.

"What's for dinner?" Nick said as he brushed off his shoes in the doorway. "Hello? oh-" he said when he looked up and heard a sniffle.

"It's a letter from the embassy." Your dad said in-between sniffles. "It said that you need at least one person from each household to go." Letting out more tears at these words. You knew that your dad couldn't serve for he was too frail and old with too many health conditions, and he knew this as well.

"Dad, look if I go-" you said before once again getting cut off from your stubborn younger brother.

"If we go-" rolling your eyes at what he'd said.

" If I go, I promise I'll be back ok?" 

His head shot up at those words. He knew how dangerous it was in the field, and how it almost got him killed.

"No, y/n you're not going, if anything Nick is." These words causing Nick's eyes to light up in pride.

"But dad-" you said trying to challenge his words.

"No y/n YOU AREN'T GOING! End of conversation!" your eyes widened in shock as he headed up the steep narrow staircase, disappearing into the darkness at the top. 

"y/n look.." Nick said as he focused on the neat lettering on the paper that was now pools of black ink. "It says that we need to be in the city of L'manburg by the 4th.. That's in 3 days." Sitting on the stool next to Nick you began thinking of how you were going to persuade your dad within 3 days, to let you go. He didn't want to lose you to the government that took your mother away from him. 

All you knew about your mother, was that she left your brother, father, and yourself to some guy that was apparently running for office that she had also been having an affair with for almost a year before she came clean to your dad. After she told him she left after packing her bags and didn't even tell you or Nick goodbye. 

After eating the same dinner that you ate every night you headed upstairs to go to sleep. You and Nick shared a room since you guys were little and you always found yourself grateful to have someone that you could rely on to do anything. He had always had your back since he was always bigger than you getting the height from your mother while you got the shorter genes from your dad. While waiting for Nick to come to bed, you read one of the books that was in your nightstand one of your favorites that you can always use to make you feel better and also make you feel like a hopeless romantic. 

"Alright what's our plans for tomorrow?" Nick said as he walked into the room stretching before getting into bed.

"I think we should definitely work on your PVP tomorrow and also get up early so that hopefully dad can get to see us practicing." You said as you put your book back into your night stand before turning off the lamp and dozing off to sleep.