Twenty

Luin was dimly aware of Legolas lifting him and carrying him out into the sunlight. The fresh air had the shock of a cold bath after all that time in the mines. He gasped and sagged in his fiancé's arms as the party collapsed in the grass around them. The hobbits, especially Frodo, seemed numb with shock. The company silent with emotion on the mountain side. The sunny weather seeming too bright for what must be a day of mourning for middle earth. Gandalf had been like the forests. Old and wise and always there. So many things in middle earth were because of his influence. Now it felt slightly empty with him gone.

Luin was curled up in Legolas' lap. His form folded up and cradled like a small babe as he stared unseeing at the horizon. Inside him emotions warred. He wanted to scream that it was unfair. He had no homeland, no family and now his father figure, his mentor, was gone too. Screaming didn't seem like enough. No tears could give the emotions he felt enough credit. It was all too much. Fine fingers softly stroking his hair as Legolas murmured soothing elvish into his ears. After a few minutes, Luin blinked. He stirred as if waking from a deep dream. He pushed the emotions back, wrestling them under control. The effort made him give a little gasp and he shivered. "Hush Melethril", Legolas hummed softly, hugging Luin a bit tighter. His arms a secure hold against the world. Luin gazed at him for a moment before sighing heavily and pressing their foreheads together.

"Nin Ithil", he whispered softly. "I'm okay. I will be okay". Legolas stroked a hand over his cheek and Luin leaned into the touch. They kissed, ignoring the rest of the fellowship around them. A soft reassuring kiss. Something to remind them that the danger was over and that they were okay. They were unharmed. When they parted, Luin exhaled shakily and gently stood up. Legolas keeping one of their hands together.

Luin's whole meltdown had only lasted a few minutes. Once Aragorn noticed that they were standing, the man also rose. He gave Luin a questioning look, asking if his friend was okay. Luin nodded. "Boromir, get them on their feet", Aragorn ordered. The man instinctively taking command of the fellowship.

"Give them a moment for pity's sake", Boromir cried out.

"They've had their moment", Aragorn stated firmly. "By nightfall these hills will be swarming with orcs. We must reach the woods of Lothlorien. Come Legolas, Boromir, Gimli. Get them up". 

Luin released Legolas' hand and strode over to where Frodo was half collapsed on the ground. The hobbit had wandered quite some distance away from the main group. He took the hobbit by his shoulders and pulled him to his feet. Frodo blinked at him, blue eyes glazed and tears on his cheeks. "How are you not crying?" He broke, voice cracked with sorrow. Luin pulled the hobbit into a hug. Frodo's form seeming too small in that moment.

"Death is always a threat", Luin replied gently. "The time for mourning will come. For now we must continue on. Gandalf would not want us to waste ourselves over him. Now come on". He pulled back and straightened Frodo's cloak. "Chin up. We have a quest to complete". Frodo sniffed and nodded. Together, they joined the fellowship and began walking towards the forest of Lorien.

——

The company followed Aragorn to Lothlorien despondently. Though, as the day went on, a few of the members were able to swallow their grief enough to wonder about the famous elvish city. By the second day, it appeared to the casual observe as if they were back to their old spirits. Merry and Pippin asking excited questions which everyone entertained, Frodo and Sam marching on with wide eyes at the new landscape. Gimli's booming voice responding to conversation. But Luin could see the way Merry and Pippin faltered, faces falling in between questions. How Frodo and Sam seemed emotionally weary. How Gimli's voice was that big too loud, his manner just a bit too cocky. The way Aragorn pushed on with singleminded determination and how Boromir was quieter than normal. He could also see how Legolas was more closed off by normal. The elf unused to human grief and not quite sure how to portray it. He hadn't known Gandalf was well as Luin. He didn't know how to react properly. Luin didn't fault him for it.

They reached the woods of Lorien on the second day. The afternoon sun giving the leaves a gold shine as they entered the woods. There was a still, ageless beauty here that was different to that of Rivendale or Mirkwood. Lorien always felt that bit more magical. Luin always guessed that it was Gladriel's doing. Her beauty enhancing her home. The others must have picked up on it too, as they walked carefully and quietly. The hobbits all with a hushed awe as they were enveloped deeper by the trees.

"Stay close hobbits", Gimli shuddered back to them. "They say that a great sorceress lives in these woods". Luin smothered a smile in his sleeve as he listened to Gimli talk. "An elf witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell, and are never seen again". The dwarf glared at the trees suspiciously. "Well," he growled louder. "There's one dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the years of a fox". Gimli promptly stopped as a arrowhead poked his nose.

Elves seemed to melt from the surroundings. They were dressed in gold armour and their bows were all raised and pointed at the fellowship. "The dwarf walked so loudly we could have shot him in the dark", a voice commented. A tall regal faced elf stepped forwards. Unlike his men, he word not helmet. His long straw blonde hair draped over his shoulders. He regarded Aragorn with narrowed eyes.

"Haldir", Luin greeted, a smile blossoming on his face. "It is good to see you old friend". Haldir's focus on Aragorn broke as he turned to Luin. The elf beaming warmly.

"Luin the blue as I live and breath. What has brought you back to Lorien? Not at Mirkwood with your Prince? Or did you just come to show us the wonders of your Guqin?"

"Unfortunately I have brought no music", Luin laughed. "I'm here with my companions to see the lady Galadriel, if she would grace us with an audience".

Haldir patted Luin on the shoulder with a smile. "Of course. Come with me", he turned. All his soldier lowering their bows as he began leading them deeper into the woods.

Legolas walked at Luin's side. "Your Prince?" He quoted cheekily under his breath so only the two of them could hear.

Luin beamed. "That's right. My Prince. And I'm his wizard". Legolas pressed a quick kiss to his cheek. Both of them smiling lighter than they had in days.

Unedited