Thirteen

"It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasam from whence it came", Elrond stated with a finality that made a silence fall over the courtyard. Luin felt a thrill of anxious excitement fall over him. Excitement at the thought of a quest, anxiety at the scale of what they would have to achieve. No one had made it into the heart of Mordor before.

Elrond look around at them. "One of you must do this". Everyone exchanged looks.

"One does not simply walk into Mordor", Boromir spoke after a significant pause. "It's black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. The evil there does not sleep. The great eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly".

"Have you heard nothing of what lord Elrond has just said?" Legolas shot back, standing with a sweep of his cloak. "The ring must be destroyed".

"And I suppose you think you're the one to do it!" Gimli shouted.

"And if we fail what then?" Boromir was standing now, voice rising. "What do you think will happen when Sauron takes back what is his!"

"I will be dead before I see the ring in the hands of an elf!" Gimil snarled. Instantly the other elves were on their feet. The dwarves and men rising as well. The courtyard quickly dissolving into a shouting match. Voices all rising in a chaotic jumble as fingers pointed and axes were shaken. Legolas was trying to hold back his men the best he could but Luin could see him becoming frustrated. Luin sighed and exchanged looks with Gandalf, both wizards rolling their eyes.

Luin was just about to stand and try and control the argument when a small voice broke out. "I will take it!" Frodo was on his feet. The little hobbit almost unnoticeable in the noise. "I will take it!" He shouted again. The argument broke off suddenly as everyone turned to face the little creature.

"I will take the ring to Mordor", Frodo stated, staring at them firmly. "Now I do not know the way". Luin sighed and closed his eyes for a brief moment before standing up.

"I will help you bare this burden Frodo Baggins", Gandalf said as he rested a gentle hand on the hobbit's shoulder. "As long as it's yours to bare".

"You have my power", Luin nodded at him with a gentle smile. Frodo nodded back thankfully.

Across the courtyard Aaragorn stood. "By my life or death I can protect you. I will". Luin smiled at his friend as the man came to stand at Frodo's side. "You have my sword".

"And you have my bow". Luin's smile broke into a warm grin as Legolas came over to stand with them. The elf smiled at Frodo as he and Luin linked hands. Luin beaming at his lover. He knew that Legolas wouldn't turn down adventure like this, but he was glad all the same.

"And my Axe", Gimil boomed. He gave Legolas a cocky look as he waved the blade. Luin giggled as Legolas rolled his eyes. The elf prince still not quite used to dwarves.

"You carry the fate of us all little one", Boromir commented as he stepped forwards. "If this is indeed the will of the council. Then Gondor will see it done". Luin felt his annoyance at the man dim slightly at the promise of loyalty. Boromir had a good heart at lest.

There was a shout and the sound of rustling bushes. Luin turned in surprise as Sam burst in and ran to Frodo's side. "Mr Frodo is not going anywhere without me".

"No indeed not", Elrond muttered with a huff or barely contained amusement. "It seems hardly possible to separate you two when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not". Sam gave a sheepish expression but did not move form Frodo's side.