Forty

They set off less than a hour later. Luin started off with the reins but he fell asleep as soon as they had slowed from a gallop. He slumped back against Legolas behind him and the elf sighed fondly. He gently tugged the reins from the sleeping cultivatior's grip and wound his arms around the still figure as he continued to steer into Fagorn forest. Aragorn turned and caught sight of the couple. He huffed and shared a look with Legolas. Both of them used to Luin falling asleep after tiring battles. Gimli chuckled behind Aragorn while Gandalf merely smiled. Behind them, Theoden and the two men he had brought with them blinked at the couple with wide eyes but did not comment.

Luin slumbered for another hour and a half as they made their way through the forest. The company silent as they watched the trees, still aware of how those same branches had torn the orcs apart. But the forest was still and allowed them through with barely a branch in their way. Maybe it was because Gandalf was leading them, or maybe it was because of the sleeping blue wizard, but the trees gave them passage through. Legolas whispering thanks in elvish as they crossed the forest in record time and the tower of Isengard appeared through the canopy. The wall surrounding the tower was broken in sections. The gates falling off their hinge and the ground a good foot or two deep in water. The damn that had once stood up on the hillside above them, nothing more than ruins.

Luin shifted as the horses' gait changed, the animals now wading through water. He wrinkled his nose and Legolas grinned as he rubbed his knuckles cross Luin's cheek. He blinked open his dark eyes hazily. "Wake up Melethril. We're here". Legolas gestured to the tower as they walked through the broken gates. Luin blinked then sat up.

"Oh", he muttered. "I was asleep. Sorry. I did not intend to doze off". He smothered another yawn into his sleeve as he looked around at the water and the destruction. He made a face. "Glad I was not here when the damn broke".

"I know", Legolas hummed. "You do not do very well with water". Luin grimaced and the elf chuckled.

A joyful cry made their heads turn. Over on top of a destroyed part of the wall were two small figures. Merry and pippin appeared unharmed. They were jumping and waving at them. Surrounded by boxes of food and holding smoking pipes. Pippin held a tankard of beer at them with a wide, slightly high grin. "Welcome my lords", Merry swept his hand loftily to the tower behind him. "To Isengard".

"You! young rascals!" Gimli shouted. "A merry hunt you've led us on and now we find ya feasting and smoking!" Merry waved his pipe and Aragorn laughed.

"We are sitting on a field of victory enjoying a few well earned comforts", Pippin replied, legs swinging as he puffed his pipe. Merry blew them a smoke ring. Luin laughed loudly, grin splitting his face with relief and joy. "This salted pork is particularly good".

"Salted pork?" Gimli repeated hungrily.

"We're under orders form treebeard. He's taken over management of Isengard", Merry gestured towards the tower again.

Luin steered the horse closer and waved at them. "You hobbits!" He laughed. "Got us all concerned about you and here you are, as dandy as a spring day! Really, how do you get out of those situations?"

The two hobbits lit up as he came closer. Pippin held out his hands as Merry waved. "Luin!" They both yelled. "We were so worried about you!" Pippin cried. "The last time we saw you, it was chaos!"

"Luin! You're okay!" Merry beamed. Luin laughed as they leaned down from their perch to touch their fingers to his.

"I'm so sorry about your hair", Pippin murmured as he took in the new haircut. "Were you badly injured?"

"I'm fine", Luin smiled. "Do not concern yourselves over what has passed. There was nothing that you could do. Legolas found me and I am alright". The hobbits smiled in relief.

"Enough now", Gandalf called as Shdowfax trotted over. The horse turned and the wizard held out an arm. "Come on you two. Let's go and talk with the new management". Merry and Pippin took his hand to jump down onto the saddle behind him. Not before shoving things into their pockets of course. Luin chuckled as he watched them stuff tobacco pouches into their waistcoats.

When they were settled, the horses moved onwards. Through the gate and the water towards the foot of the tower. At the doors was what seemed to be a tree with an almost humanoid shape. Luin gasped as they approached. He had heard of the ents but he had never actually seen one. He shut his mouth as the tree turned to them. Now it was facing them, he could see the holes of eyes and a crack in the bark which could be a mouth. Around the grounds of Isengard, he could now see more ents moving about. They walked slowly but with the attitude of a job that needed doing. He watched as two knocked down part of the wall.

"Young master Gandalf", Treebeard greeted in a slow, deep voice. Luin tried not to snort. He had never herd Gandalf being referred to as 'young master' before. "I'm glad you could come. Flood and water, stock and stone, I can master. But there's a wizard to manage here, locked in his tower". They all looked up to the looming black structure.

"Show yourself", Aragorn muttered. Luin gripped the reins tighter as he looked up. Legolas a comforting presence behind him.

"Be careful", Gandalf warned. "Even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous".

"Then let's just have his head and be done with it", Gimli suggested. Legolas' hands twitched for his bow. Luin could feel his anger towards the man bubbling up. He held out a hand and caught the elf's in his, intertwining their fingers and pulling it gently away.

"No we need him alive", Gandalf muttered. "We need him to talk".

It was that moment Saruman started speaking. His voice echoed around them, deep and brooding, enhanced by magical means. "You have fought many wars with many men Theoden king, and made peace afterwards". Up above them, high on the roof of the tower, a figure in white appeared. Saruman placed both hands on his staff and looked down at them below. Even defeated, he aimed to be above them. "Can we not take counsel together like we once did? My old friend, can we not have peace? You and I?"

Unedited