Twenty three

It was peaceful travelling by boat. The river was fast flowing so they didn't need to much rowing. Legolas kept them pointing in the right direction with the oar, but apart form that it was easy for them to sit and watch the world go by. The landscape changing from dense green forest to rocky cliffs as the hours changed. Luin spent most of the journey meditating and trying to ignore the water underneath him. The river had a fast current which made him uneasy. Any water deep enough for him to be completely submerged in, and with a fast current, made him anxious. He supposed that it was the old fear of drowning coming back to him. A trauma he could now control, but still wouldn't go away.

"Luin", Legolas' voice made him break from the calm mindset he had . Luin blinked and raised his head, meditation now forgotten. Legolas nodded ahead of them and Luin turned to see that the river had taken them through an almost tunnel. High cliffs rising up on either side of the water. Before them stood two magnificent statues. The carved forms, standing hundreds of feet above them, of two kings stood on either side of the river. They each had a hand out in a stop motion, as if to protect and warn intruders away from their lands.

"The Argonath", he heard Aragorn mutter. The man's boat a couple of metres ahead of them. He turned back to Luin and Legolas,  wide eyed look of excitement on his face. Luin grinned back. He knew that Aragorn had been wanting to see the land of his forefathers ever since he was a boy. It was a big moment for him. The boats passed underneath the giant statues. Their shapes tiny compared to the stone feet on either side. If Luin craned his neck up, he could see the golden rays of the noon sun just catching the tops of their heads.

Beyond, the river stretched out into a wide circle. Three boulders ahead of them marking the start of the water fall down into the valley below. Legolas picked up the oars and steered the boat after Aragorn and Boromir. Luin was relieved that the current wasn't as strong here so it was easy to paddle towards the shore. "We shall camp here tonight", Aragorn stated as they pulled the boats up the rocky beach. Luin hopped out, legs stiff from hours sitting, and looked around. They were in the woods. Ruins of stone structures covered the beach and stuck out amongst the trees. There must have been some sort for fortress here years before. Luin couldn't remember.

"We'll cross the lake at nightfall", Aragorn stated. "Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north". Sam had made a fire and he and Gimli were huddled next to it. Luin and Legolas were going through the supplies, recounting everything and making sure that they were shared equally amongst the boats. Merry and Pippin were poking the flames with sticks and Boromir had disappeared after more firewood. Frodo hovered on the edge of the water with a unreadable expression. Face tense in thought.

Luin eyed Boromir for a moment. The man was acting off. He hadn't been the same since they'd left Lothlorien. Luin could feel the man's anxiety and yearning. The ring's aura had grown stronger since the elves. It throbbed on the edge of their minds like a wasp. Calling and threatening at the same time. Meditation had allowed Luin to ignore it. But he doubted that Boromir could do the same. He would have to keep and eye on the man.

"Just a simple matter of finding our way through a impossible labyrinth of razor sharp rocks", Gimli voiced sarcastically. Aragorn gave the dwarf a sideways look. "And after that, it gets even better! Festering stinking marshlands as far as the eye can see".

"That is our road", Aragorn replied calmly. "I suggest you take some rest and recover our strength master dwarf".

"Recover my"- Gimli groaned, insulted at being called weak. Luin rolled his eyes.

"We should leave now", Legolas suggested.

"No", Aragorn shook his head. "Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for cover of darkness".

"It is not good to linger long", Luin murmured, eyes flickering over the trees. "I have a sense of foreboding about being stationary".

"Aye", Legolas nodded. "It is not the eastern shore that worries me. A shadow under threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near. I can feel it". 

Luin hummed, eyes darting over the shore and the campsite again. He paused, frowning. The place where Frodo had been standing was now empty. "Where's Frodo?" He asked. Aragorn and Legolas both turned to where the hobbit had been but there was no sign.

"I'll go search for him", Aragorn volunteered, hand straying to his sword. "Legolas, come with me. Luin, you stay here to keep an eye on the others". Luin nodded as they both strode off into the trees.

"Hey", Gimli called, haling himself to his feet. "I'm coming too. Recover my strength, pah!" He grumbled loudly as he stumbled after them. The three figures disappearing into the trees.

"Where are they going?" Merry asked in confusion.

"To retrieve Frodo and Boromir", Luin said, eyes still on their surroundings. His bad feeling was getting worse. Neck tingling anticipation of dread making his fingers twitch and stray towards his swords. "It is not good to wander alone".

Silence descend over them. Sam continued poking the fire. The embers sparking into the air as they waited. Each minute making the dread worse until it bubbled in Luin's stomach. Eventually he couldn't stand it any longer and started pacing in circles around the flames. Mustn't had been long, about half an hour at most, before a noise made all their heads shoot up. A muted clanging of steel and a roaring voice.

"Find the halfling!"

The three hobbits jumped to their feet. Luin unsheathing one of his swords. "We're under attack!" Merry gasped.

"Mr Frodo!" Sam called. He burst into a run.

"Sam!" Luin called after him as his form disappeared into the woods. He turned between Merry and Pippin and the trees. "Argh!" He huffed in frustration. "Come on you two". He waved at them to follow him before breaking into a run.

The sounds of fighting grew louder as they raced through the woods. Heavy clangs of steel and groans of pain. Luin leapt over fallen logs, feet carrying him towards the fight. A flash of black material caught his eye and he skidded to a stop. "Boromir!" He shouted, chanting direction and running towards the man. Boromir turned and his face changed upon spotting him.

"Boromir, what happened?" Luin asked in concern. The man looked shattered. Eyes dark and expression faltering.

"I tried to take the ring". His voice was wheezy, aghast at what he had done. "I broke the fellowship. I attacked Frodo".

"Did you take the ring?" It was a harsh question.

"No but I tried. I almost had it".

Luin sighed. "Many a greater man than you have fallen prey to its evil Boromir. You can still help us. Come on!" Luin turned and found themselves alone in the trees. Merry and Pippin gone. He instantly cursed violently under his breath. Why were hobbits so easy to lose?

"We're under attack. We need to get to the hobbits". He set off at a sprint back towards the camp in hopes that the hobbits would be nearby. Behind him, he could hear Boromir's footsteps as the man followed him.

"Pippin!" His voice echoed through the trees. "Merry!"

"Luin!"

Unedited