Thirty three

Gimli was the first to notice them as they entered the main hall. The tables had been moved from the night before and various people were seated on them eating breakfast. Theoden was in his throne with Gandalf at his side. The two men muttering together. Aragorn talking with Gimli as they ate. The dwarf inhaling his food as Aragorn puffed slowly on his pipe. On another table, Eowyn was seated with two small grubby children, no older than twelve. She was speaking softly to the boy about something Luin couldn't hear but her body language was gentle. His stomach rumbled and he flushed, suddenly recalling that apart from some lembas bread the night before, he hadn't actually eaten anything else.

From the look on Legolas' face, he had remembered too. The elf waved at a passing servant and requested for two bowls of breakfast before leading Luin over to their friends. At their approach, Gimli looked up and spotted them. "Ah morning", he boomed. "You look much better. Sorry about the hair. I heard that it was as precious to you as a dwarf's beard. I shall cut off the heads of the next orcs we meet to avenge it for you", he offered.

Luin blinked then surprised himself by laughing. He took the empty space opposite them, propping up his staff as Legolas squeezed in next to him. He had expected to feel another pang of loss at the comment, and he did, but the bluntness of Gimli's words and the complete loyalty in his promise soothed it over. "That offer is very considerate of you Gimli. Thank you".

Gimli nodded. "My pleasure". Then the dwarf went back to inhaling his food. At his side, Aragorn was watching the two of them with a calm assessment. His eyes taking in the way Luin's hair now fell neatly round his ears and covered his forehead. Some of the strands hit his cheek bones while others were just about long enough to tuck behind his ear. Still, the lightness of his head and the cold air on the back of his neck was strange to him. Sensations he will have to grow accustomed too.

"I too, am relieved to see you in a better state", he smiled lightly. Luin smiled lightly back. The servant returned and handed them their food. Luin thanked him and eagerly took up the spoon. The porridge was slightly sweet, flavoured with bits of apple and honey. Where they had gotten the honey from, Luin had no idea. But he had not eaten honey in weeks and it was a welcome surprise. Legolas smiled as Luin gracelessly stuffed his face. When his bowl was finished, Legolas handed him his own half empty one.

Luin looked up at him through his new fringe with wide eyes. "Eat", Legolas murmured. "You need to recuperate your strength. I'll have some lembas later". Luin beamed and pressed a kiss to his cheek, lips slightly sticky. Legolas chuckled as Luin continued eating.

Eowyn stood up. She wore a deep blue dress and had her hair pinned back with a gold circlet. Her face was grave. "They had no warning", she spoke aloud. "They were unarmed. Now wild men are moving along the westfold, burning as they go".

Luin paused to whisper lowly. "What have I missed?"

"Wild men have attacked the villages on the outskirts. They bare the mark of Saruman", Gimli muttered lowly.

"Every brick, cot and tree", Eowyn scowled. The little girl looked up as she draped a blanket over her shoulders.

"Where's mumma?" She asked. Eowyn calmed her and directed her attention back to her meal. Luin sighed deeply. He could relate to being young and afraid.

Gandalf gestured at the children with one hand. "This is but a taste of what Saruman will deliver", he spoke loudly. "He's all the more potent in fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw them away from your women and children, you must fight".

Aragorn took his pipe out of his mouth. "You have two thousand good men riding north as we speak. Eomer is loyal to you. He will return to fight for his king".

Theoden stood up abruptly and stalled across the hall. "They will be three hundred leagues from here by now", he exclaimed. "Eomer cannot help us now. I know what it is you want form me but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war".

"Open war is upon you, wether you would risk it or not", Aragorn stated. Theoden turned to eye him sharply.

"When last I looked, Theoden, not Aragorn was king of Rohan". Aragorn met the king's stare evenly, face calm.

"Then what is the king's decision?" Gandalf broke the tension. At the table, Gimli belched loudly.

"We shall retreat to helms deep. That is my decree".

——

The four of them followed after Gandalf as they stomped through the city of Rohan. Around them the citizens were gathering their belongings in preparation for the journey. Soldiers wandered around through the crowds, hurrying people along or helping them gather supplies. Voices echoing over the hill. "Leave your treasures! Take only what you can carry, we head to Helm's deep!"

"Helms deep", Gandalf repeated. "They flee to the mountains when they should stay and fight. Who would defend them if not their king". Luin picked up his staff and quickened his pace. His fan tucked into his tunic and his twin jade swords bouncing against his hips. Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli all keeping pace. Their supplies and weapons all ready to leave. 

Gandalf strode into the stables at the bottom of the city. His white robes standing out like a spot of brightness among the crowds. "He is only doing what he thinks best for his people", Aragorn pointed out. "Helm's deep has saved them in the past".

"There is no way out of that ravine", Gandalf sighed. "Theoden is walking into a trap. Thinks he's leading them to safety. What he'll get is a massacre". At the end of the stables was Shadowfax. Aragorn opened the gate for Gandalf to slip through and the wizard reached up to pet the white stallion. The horse already saddled up in preparation. "Theoden has a strong Will", he continued. "But I fear for him, I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end Aragorn. Their defences have to hold".

"They will hold".

"Are you leaving?" Luin spoke up. "But I just found you again". He instantly winced at the childish tone in his voice and tipped his head to the ground. "Forget that. You have your duties and I have mine".

Gandalf swung himself on to Shadowfax's back. He smiled down at Luin reassuringly as he steered the horse to face the gate. "The people of Rohan will need you Luin. You have always been more skilled at combat than me. Look for me at first light of the third day. I will be there". With those parting words, the gate banged open and Shadowfax broke into a gallop. The four members of the fellowship watched as Gandalf disappeared out of the stables. Luin chasing after him to watch as he left the gates and became a white dot moving across the plains.

Legolas jogged to his side and took his hand as Luin sighed deeply. "I guess he is leaving the battle to me", he murmured.

"To us", Legolas corrected. "We share this burden of this oncoming battle".

"Aye", Aragorn murmured as he joined their side. "It is not a light weight".

"Speak for yourself", Gimli barked. "I, for one, are looking forward to chopping off some orc heads". That broke the somber mood and they all chuckled.

"That's the spirit Gimli", Luin grinned. "We shall avenge my honour".

Unedited

In ancient China, long hair represented one's parents and family. So what Luin meant by being disgraced, it meant that he has lost one of the last tethers he had with his parents. Cultivators would only cut their hair if they had been disowned or cast out. Hope that helps clarify some things.