Thirty five

Cheers went up and the people began to move with renewed energy as helms deep appeared on the horizon. Luin lifted his head form where he was dozing on Legolas' shoulder. Helms deep a a fortress set in the mountain side. It was made of a spiral of corridors and walls. The outer wall looked up above them with the main keep rising in the corner. The keep was higher than the rest of the fortress, with a narrow stone bridge just big enough for a wagon width ascending up to the gates. Inside the keep was the stone corridors and a small courtyard before another wall. This wall defended the small castle carved directly into the mountain. In the castle were the entrances to the caves below. The final stronghold.

People let out happy cheers as Theoden entered. People from all over Rohan had already sort refuge there. Luin sat up as the horses trotted through and up the ramp into the courtyard. Theoden and Aragorn dismounting ahead as Eowyn ran out to meet them. "There is not one life lost", she gasped as she took in all of the men. "It must be our good fortune".

"Or the skill of a wizard", Aragorn chuckled as he gestured to Luin. "The blue sent a Gale to knock our enemies off their feet. It was simple after that".

"It is to our strength that you are on our side", Theoden smiled. "Saruman will try to target you".

"He has already tried", Luin reached up and rubbed a hand over the scar on the back of his neck. The short strands of his hair ticking his skin.

"He will have to go through me first", Legolas stated as he swung himself from the saddle. He held out a hand despite the fact that Luin didn't need the help. It was a mark of respect which never failed to make Luin smile. He took it and dismounted.

"Hold my horse", Aragorn commanded as the soldiers moved to take the horses away. "I shall go and scout out the lands. We have no idea what comes next. The wargs were just the beginning".

Luin nodded. He rummaged in his tunic as Aragorn remounted his horse. "Be swift", Theoden commanded. "I shall bar the gates by nightfall".

"Take this", Luin stepped forwards as he pulled a talisman from his sleeve. He frowned at it. "Wait, that's the wrong one". He stuffed it back in and continued rummaging. "This would be easier if my robes hadn't been ruined", he muttered as he produced several more pieces of yellow paper. He squinted at the red markings, everyone waiting patiently as he looked. "Aha", he smiled as he finally found what he was looking for. "Take this", he held it out for Aragorn. "If you see anything then blow on it and whisper your message. It is tied to my power and will return to me. Time is of the essence".

"Thank you friend", Aragorn grinned before he kicked his horse into a canter. "Open the gate!" They all watched as the gates below opened and Aragorn disappeared out.

"We need to make preparations", Theoden muttered to his men. "Saruman must think his arms are long if he can reach us here. Move all the supplies and those who cannot fight into the caves. I need to see how many weapons there are". The king bustled off with his men flanking him.

"I should go and find somewhere to meditate", Luin yawned. "I should be at my full power if anything happens".

"Agreed", Gimli grunted. "I need to sharpen my axe". With that the dwarf was wandering away.

"Are you okay?" Legolas murmured. "I know you are a more powerful force than i know but I still worry over you".

Luin smiled and pressed his hand to the elf's cheek. "I am fine Nin Ithil. I have you protecting me". Legolas smiled and leant into the touch. Luin yawned. "Though I am tired. Let's go and find some place for me to meditate".

——

Aragorn returned a few hours later. Luin had been meditating when a sharp intake of breath from Legolas made him open his eyes. Luin let the feeling of his Qi flowing through him fade until it was background noise again and turned to see what had disturbed him. His talisman glowed in the air. The symbols forming words in his home tongue. A foolproof charm that meant that only he could read what he had been sent. Luin scanned them over then poked the hovering paper with a finger. The second charm activate and it fizzled into fire and disappeared.

"What has Aragorn seen?" Legolas placed the arrows he had claimed from the armoury into his quiver. He had been sharpening the points while Luin had meditated. The wind blowing through their hair. Luin twisted round and hopped off the perch he had found on the edge of the outer wall. His feet his the floor and he dusted off his clothes. He grabbed his staff and rubbed his thumb over the wood.

"Saruman has sent a army", Luin scowled. "The bowels of Isengard have been emptied. We must warn them. Aragorn will be back soon". He turned back to the expanse of Rohan spread out before them and squinted. In the distance there was a single rider.

"We shall break the news to the king", Legolas nodded. "Aragorn will tell us more when he arrives". With that, they both set off. Pushing through the crowds towards the doors to the castle where Theoden was holding council with his advisors. Luin pushed open the doors and strode in, cloak flapping behind him. The men all stopped talking as he crossed over to them.

"Aragorn is on the return", Luin announced. "He sent word back to me".

Theoden stepped forwards. "What is his news?"

"Saruman has sent an army. The depths of Isengard had been emptied. It is a force meant to wipe out the species of man". Silence followed his declaration.

"How strong?" Theoden asked. There was the clatter fo boots on stone and Luin turned to see Aragorn striding in. He must have been travelling fast to have reached them in such short time.

Aragorn pushed his sweaty hair out of his face. "At lest ten thousand".

"Ten thousand", Theoden paled.

Aragorn nodded grimly. "They shall be here before nightfall".

"Get the women and children into the caves!" Theoden ordered. "You! Any person who can fight, give them a sword". The soldiers began moving as orders were shouted. Theoden turned to Luin. "Luin the blue. Is there any magic that you can do that can protect us?"

"I have a spell", Luin muttered. "But it does not have a far distance. I cannot cover everything. Maybe the entered to the caves or the inner keep. But it is draining".

"No", Legolas cut him off. "If you are describing the energy shield then no. The last time you used that, it almost killed you".

"Times were different then", Luin retorted, annoyed at being told no. "If I reinforce it with talismans and don't activate it until the very last moment then I should not be as affected as the last time. This fortress has layers. If your men can keep them out for as long as possible then it should be safe as a last resort".

"My men will fight to their last breath", Theoden promised.

Luin nodded. "Good. I shall set up the spell just in case but it is a last resort. We need to hold out until sunrise. Hopefully then Gandalf will pull through". Luin's face was grim. If Gandalf didn't return as promised then they would be slaughtered.

Unedited

Song Jiyang being a model up above. That's sort of the length I imagine Luin having now.