Fifty one

They were all in the great hall where Luin had first spoken with Denethor less than three days ago. This time the stone throne was empty. It stood, black and firm at the bottom of the pedestal where the throne of the king would sit. The empty spot. Well, the steward throne was empty until Gimli spotted it and gleefully sat himself down and crossed his legs. Luin couldn't help but giggle at the sight of the red haired dwarf smoking his pipe in the chair where Denethor had lorded. 

They had all removed their armour and washed away the gore of battle. Luin was in a fresh deep blue tunic with black trousers. A new cloak covered the bandages on his shoulders and his staff was back in his hands. (Legolas had retrieved it for him, being the only one other than Luin himself who could pry it from where it had ben stuck in stone). He had leaned the wood against a pillar as his hands worked. Legolas was seated on a simple wooden chair that a servant had brought for them, his long blonde hair freshly washed and his green cloths clean. Luin's fingers were expertly braiding the silver strands as they listened to the rest of the room. 

Only Gandalf and Aragorn were standing. Eomer was also there to represent Rohan. Theoden having died in battle and Eowyn recovering from her wounds. The man was seated near Gimli on one of the steps leading up to the pedestal, eyes flickering around them all. "Frodo has passed beyond my sight", Gandalf sighed. "The darkness is deepening". He began pacing the room, white robes flowing. 

"If Sauron had the ring we would know", Aragorn stated, his back to the room as he gazed out of one of the windows with his arms crossed. 

"Its only a matter of time. He has suffered a defeat yes but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping".

Luin let out a small hum as he finished the row of courting braids. Legolas turned and smiled as he caught his hand in his, pressing a kiss to the knuckles before he could pull away. Luin beamed as the elf got up and they switched places. The archer's hands finger combing his shorter strands. His hair was just about long enough for a few braids along his head, which the elf set to work on. He left hand of Luin's hair down while braiding the other half out of his face. 

"Let him stay there", Gimli boomed. "Let him rot! Why should we care?" He gestured with his pipe. 

Gandalf's face was tired. "Because ten thousand orcs now stand between Frodo and mount doom". Gimli sighed and exhale of smoke. 

"I've sent him to this death", Gandalf's voice was defeated.

"No", Aragorn turned, arms unfolding. "There is still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the plains go Gorgoroth. We can give him that". 

"How?" Gimli frowned. 

"Draw out Sauron's armies, empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black gate". Gimli began coughing loudly at Aragorn's suggestion. 

"We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms", Eomer stood up and stepped forwards. 

"Not for ourselves but we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's eye fixed on us". Aragorn's voice was strong. "Keep him blind to all else that moves". 

"Frodo needs support", Luin voiced. They all turned to him. "I can sneak passed the eye while you keep it distracted. I can get to Frodo". 

"A diversion", Legolas nodded, fingers still tangled in Luin's hair. He could feel the sudden tension of the room. Legolas' fingers braiding smoothly but there was a tightness in his shoulders. Worry and concern. Luin reached up with one hand and tilted his head back to meet the blue eyed gaze as his hand brushed his cheek. He gave him a reassuring smile that flickered in a mirror across Legolas' face.