Nine

They moved as quickly as they could, not stopping as the sun rose then set again. They had crossed the rocky plains and into another forest. They were close, Luin knew. But they were still a day away from Rivendale and the hobbits were struggling. Luin could feel himself starting to struggled as well. Frodo was a clammy dead weight in his arms. It was getting difficult to concentrate on flooding the hobbit with spiritual energy and also on walking. The forest was dark and ground uneven. Luin was starting to stumble slightly.

When he almost tripped for the second time within a minute, Aragorn sighed and held out a hand. Luin halted, Frodo giving a cry of pain in his arms. "Stop for a minute. Luin put him down". Frodo wheezed as he was laid as gently on the grass. Aragorn pulled back his shirt to expose the wound. The flesh was a dark black around the edges with dark coloured veins stressing out. They covered half of Frodo's chest. The surrounding skin so pale white that he looked deathly. Luin kept his hands on Frodo's shoulder, never letting up the flow of Spiritual energy.

"Get me some kingsfoil!" Aragorn ordered.

"Kingsfoil?" Sam asked. "But that's a weed".

"It can help slow the poison". Sam flailed and Aragorn sighed heavily. He stood up and disappeared into the trees. Sam, Merry and Pippen all flailed like headless chickens.

"Stay still", Luin barked. "Sam come over here and talk to Frodo. Merry and Pippin, stop flailing around". The hobbits all paused and did what Luin commanded, not daring to go against his sharp tone. Sam knelt at Frodo's side, talking softly about the shire. Merry and Pippin watching anxiously silent in the background.

After a minute or so, the stomping of boots indicated Aragorn's return, but he was not alone. Luin felt a smile break over his face as he saw the newcomer. "Arwen", he greeted. Arwen dismounted her horse in on smooth stride and knelt down next to Frodo, Luin immediately moving back out of her way. Frodo gave a cry as the connection of spiritual energy was cut, face seeming to pale further.

Arwen was dressed in riding gear. Her pale beauty like the moon. She almost seemed to glow. "Frodo", she spoke calmly, words of elvish falling form her lips. "My name is Arwen. I have come to help you. Come back into the light".

"Who is she?" Luin heard Merry whisper.

"She's one of the elves", Sam answered in awe.

"He's fading", Arwen said as Frodo wheezed. "We must get him back to my father". Together, Aragorn and Luin lifted Frodo up and wrapped him in his cloak. They set him on Arwen's horse as gently as they could manage.

"I've been searching for you for two days", Arwen told Luin as Frodo lolled in the saddle. "There are five ringwraiths behind you where the other four are, I do not know".

"Stay here with the hobbits", Aragorn stated, turning to elvish out of habit. "I'll send horses back to you".

"I'm the faster rider", Arwen argued.

"The road is too dangerous".

"If I get across the river then the power of my people can protect him", Arwen replied. "I do not fear them", she stated in the language of man.

"I'll fly behind her", Luin volunteered. "I won't be able to go as fast as a horse but I won't be far behind if she need help". Aragorn looked at him and nodded. He took Arwen's hand and squeezed it reassuringly. Then he stepped back and Arwen mounted behind Frodo, the hobbit leaning against her chest.

"Ride hard", Aragorn whispered. She nodded. The horse taking off into full gallop into the trees.

"What are you doing?" Sam yelled as Aragorn watched her go. "The wraiths are still out there!"

"Sam", Luin hushed. He pushed his braid over his shoulder and drew his sword. The blade floating in the air. "It will be fine. I'll see you all in a couple of days".

"You're not leaving us Luin", Merry asked worriedly.

"Aragorn will take good care of you", Luin reassured. "The wraiths are after Frodo. This should keep them away from you. We shall meet again in Rivendale". He looked over to Aragorn and they shared a look. With that, Luin hopped on his sword and flew up into the canopy, disappearing out of sight.

It wasn't hard keeping track of Arwen and Frodo down below. Luin could feel their energies as they rode. He kept a steady pace above them, robes flapping in the wind. He was tired and it was keeping more concentration than usual to keep the sword moving. Sun rose as they left the forest, the trees thing in out into fields as they continued. Arwen's horse riding on as the black horses fought to follow. Luin could see them from above. Every time a black wraith rode too close to the white stallion, he would shot down a talisman. The paper sparking into flames and knocking them back, giving Arwen a few seconds to ride onwards. It wasn't much but it was wall he was able to do at this point.

Arwen rode expertly. Her horse seeming to gather speed as the sun rose.  Luin let out a sigh of relief as the river came into sight. Arwen cantered down the bank, crossing the shallow water easily. She paused on the other side, horse pawing at the ground. "If you want him!" She called to the five black riders. The ringwraiths had paused on the opposite shore. Arwen drew her sword as she faced them. "Come and claim him".

Luin hovered high above the river as the black riders hesitated for a moment. There was a screech of steel as they all drew their swords. The black blades dull in the bright midday. Together their horses stepped into the shallow river. Luin hesitated above. He wanted to swoop down and help but Arwen was doing something and he knew to trust her. As the black horses broke into a canter a rumble sounded. They stopped as a giant wave of water burst round the corner. The wraiths had not time to do more than scream before the water engulfed them and they were washed away. Luin sighed in relief as the river shrank back to its normal size. No trace of the ringwraiths anywhere.

Down bellow Arwen's horse broke back in to a gallop. Luin watched for a minute, allowing himself to take several deep breaths, before flying after her.

Unedited

Arwen is the best. Anyone who disagrees would have to deal with The fellowships swords then her own.