Eleven

Luin awoke to soft sunlight. He yawned and rolled over, sun suddenly in his face. Why was the sun in his face? He could have sworn that he had drawn the drapes last night. Hadn't he? Luin frowned, sleepy morning bliss fading as he realised that there was a long strand of annoying hair in his face. It was all irritating him now. Sun, hair. Why didn't he braid it last night? Urgh, he was too tired for this.

He was just debating whether to roll back over and go back to sleep, or flick the hair off his face, when something gently brushed it away. Luin rolled over and scouted closer to the person beside him. He buried his face into the man's shoulder with a sleep grumble. Legolas chuckled lightly. "Good morning Melethril", he smiled as he brushed another black lock behind his head. Luin blinked the sleep from his eyes and smiled at him.

Legolas was slightly sleep ruffled. His blonde hair covering the pillow behind him and there was a droop in his eye lids. They both must have woken at the same time. Legolas was wearing a loose cream night shirt, similar to Luin's in design except the fact hat Luin's was a pale grey. Luin raised a hand and gently stroked the elf's cheek with his thumb as he smiled. "Morning".

Now that he was fully awake, he blinked around at the room. The drapes covering the bed were slightly ajar and early morning sunlight was streaming through. Luin yawned and wiped the sleep from his eyes. He sat up, struggling for a moment against the sheets. Legolas followed his action. He reached out and began finger combing Luin's hair in a semblance of neatness. His own blonde locks still braided and untangled. It was probably an elf thing, to have hair so easy to manage, or it could be the fact that Legolas did not move in his sleep. Unlike Luin who would often change positions during the night.

Luin leaned over and placed a sleep peck to his lover's cheek before getting out of bed and pushing back the drapes. He turned to watch as Legolas closed his eyes to bask in the light. The softness of his expression a rare thing which not many people would see. Luin always treasured seeing him like this. All soft and golden, sleepy and vulnerable. No elf glamour or prince title. Just him.

Legolas opened his eyes and smiled widely when he caught Luin staring. Luin grinned back unashamed. "I have greatly missed waking up to you", Legolas murmured as he got up and crossed round the bed to where Luin was standing. He draped his arms over Luin's shoulders and pressed a kiss to his forehead. Luin basked in the moment.

He wrinkled his nose as Legolas pulled back from the kiss. "I want a bath", he declared, already heading towards the adjoining washroom where he knew one had been prepared. Legolas laughed, voice slightly croaky from sleep, and followed. He trailed along with his arms still round Luin's shoulders.

After washing they both got changed. Luin wore a more formal set of blue robes than usual. A high collared outer robe with silver stars stitched into the fabric. His staff was leaning near the door waiting patiently. Legolas wore a pale summery green tunic in velvet, with his usual tight fitting trousers and brown boots. It was not a far cry from his usual combat wear. Just formal enough to announce him as a warrior and a prince.

Since they had time till duties, Legolas took the armchair. Luin flopped with a groan to the floor at his feet. A elf servant had dropped by with plates of bread, fruit and cheese for breakfast. He leaned back against Legolas' legs as he ate. The elf scooping up the long black locks, still damp, and began seamlessly braiding them intricately together. As they ate and Legolas played with Luin's hair, they talked. They talked about all the things they hadn't the night before. Stories of their year apart. The things that the letters had missed.

"The king under the mountain is still doing well", Legolas commented as he finished a plait. "I was tasked with visiting under the title of trade negotiations. Tauriel is well. She is expecting their second child, much to her husband's visible joy".

"How is their daughter doing?" Luin asked eagerly. If he guessed correctly, then Kili's and Tauriel's daughter would be reaching fifth soon. That age meaning that she would be the approximate age of a human three year old. Dwarves could live up to two hundred years, but elves could live for thousands. Much like Arwen, a child of dwarves and elves could choose a dwarf or a elf lifespan. Until they made their decision, they would most likely age at the rate of a normal dwarf, maybe slower.

"Princess Nali is apparently as inquisitive as all young children", Legolas replied. "King Kili made sure to remind me to ask you to visit".

"I shall have to once this business is over", Luin sighed. He rested his head against Legolas' knee, mood suddenly darker at the reminder of the peril on the horizon. Legolas heard him sigh as his hands paused their motions.

"Will you tell me what ails your mind?" He spoke softly. Luin tipped his head back to meet his gaze. Black eyes dark.

"If you wish. I would much rather you learn during the meeting with Elrond later. It's a sensitive topic that would be better learnt with all the races present". He didn't like not telling him just yet. But unfortunately Legolas was a prince and Luin was a wizard. Wizards needed to treat all the races equally during political situations in meetings like this. He couldn't be accused by the humans or the dwarves of siding with the elves by telling the elvish prince beforehand. Much to Luin's annoyance.

Legolas did not press, for which Luin was grateful. He merely smiled reassuringly and traced his fingers across Luin's hairline in soothing motions. "I shall find out in due course then", he responded. His hands resumed their task and Luin closed his eyes. He dozed in the warm sunlight as his lover wove courting braids through his long hair. Both completely at ease and relaxed in this moment as they basked in each other's presence.

Unedited

An; I wanted a fluff chapter of them being domestic and adorable before the quest starts and it all gets chaotic. Hope you enjoyed it.
Also, check out the vid above. Isn't song jiyang beautiful?