Three

When Bilbo reappeared in warm glow of his halfway, chuckling cheerfully, it was to find Gandalf and Luin waiting. Luin watched from his position cloaked out of sight round the doorway to the study as Bilbo tucked something into his pocket. The hobbit patted his waistcoat pocket happily before beginning to potter around the room, humming as he went. He took a walking staff from the wall and inspected it before turning into the study.

"I suppose you think that was terribly clever". Bilbo jumped with a startled gasp as Gandalf's voice boomed. He glanced up to see Gandalf looming over him from the centre of the room. Luin leaning against the wall next to the blazing fire place. His black gaze, normally so warm, fixed on Bilbo blankly. There was no expression on his face.

"Oh come on Gandalf", Bilbo huffed. He walked around the wizard and rested his staff against the desk. "Did you see their faces?" He gave a amused laugh.

"There are many magic rings in this world Bilbo Baggins and none of them should be used lightly".

"It was just a bit of fun". Gandalf's stern expression did not change. Bilbo huffed and crossed over to warm his hands by the fire. "Oh you're probably right as usual. Enjoy the party Luin?"

Luin did not respond to Bilbo's attempt the lighten the mood. He agreed with Gandalf. Magic rings were dangerous. They were all to willing to consume and devour their masters. Luin did not have as much experience with them as Gandalf but he had read the records. There was only two rings left and one was safe in Lorien. He prayed that the other was not here.

"You will keep an eye on Frodo will you?" Bilbo asked after a pause.

"Both of us will", Luin replied. "Two eyes each as often as we can spare them".

Bilbo nodded and began moving things around the room, ducking around the two wizards. "I'm leaving everything to him".

"And what about this ring of yours? Is that staying too?" Gandalf murmured.

"Yes yes. It's in an envelope over there on the mantle piece". Bilbo waved a hand in a vague direction before freezing. "No. Wait it's here in my pocket". Luin heard Bilbo's voice drop. The hobbit's vocals becoming hauntingly soft as he reached inside his waistcoat and pulled out the ring. A simple gold band which gleamed against his palm. "Isn't that odd now?"

Bilbo turned it over and over in his fingers. He seemed to be thinking out loud to himself, mumbling softly as he smiled down at the gold. "After all why not? Why shouldn't I keep it?"

"I think you should leave the ring behind Bilbo", Gandalf said firmly and clearly. Luin took a step forwards. "Is that so hard?"

Bilbo turned. "Well no. And yes. Now it comes to it. I don't feel like parting with it. It's mine. I found it! It came to me!" His voice rose in volume, becoming snarling and harsh.

"There's no need to get angry", Luin frowned.

Bilbo whirled to them, face contorted with fury. "Well if I'm angry then it's your fault! It's mine. My own". He began crooning to the ring, stroking it lovingly. "My precious".

"Precious?" Gandalf repeated in concern. "It's been called that before but not by you".

Bilbo let out a shriek of anger. "What business is it of yours what I do with my own things?"

"I've think you've had that ring long enough". Gandalf was getting firmer. Luin could see that he was getting angry, the tension in the room rising.

"You want it for yourself!"

"Bilbo Baggins!" Gandalf yelled. Bilbo started and backed away to the wall. "Do not take me for a conjurer of cheap tricks". Around them darkness began creeping over the walls, enveloping the merrily flickering fire. The walls began to creaks as the whole house was forced to bend and comfort in unnatural ways. Bilbo pressed himself further into the corner with a fearful whimper, Luin watching coldly. "I'm not trying to rob you".

As quickly as it came, the darkness left. Light from the fire returned and the house fell back into its usual shape. Gandalf smiled down at the hobbit, face open and friendly. "I'm trying to help you". Bilbo gave a small cry and ran over to embrace Gandalf with a hug. Gandalf patted the hobbit soothingly on the back.

"All these long years we've been friends. Trust me as you once did. Let it go".

"You're right Gandalf", Bilbo sighed, having regained his senses. "The ring must go to Frodo".  The old hobbit stepped away and picked up his pack from behind the desk. He took his staff in hand and began walking towards the front door.

"I must away. The road is long". He opened the huge round green door with e creak and made to step out.

"Bilbo", Gandalf's voice stopped him. "The ring is still in your pocket".

"Oh yes". Bilbo pulled the ring out of his waistcoat and looked down at it. He gazed at it for a long moment before slowly turning his hand so that the ring fell to the floor. It barely bounced against the wood. With a nod at it, Bilbo turned and strode out of the door.

Gandalf and Luin followed him to the porch, where the hobbit waited for a moment. "I've thought of an ending to my book", he announced. "And he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days".

"And I'm sure you will my dear friend", Gandalf smiled. "Will you be willing to allow Luin to accompany you to Rivendale? He will be going that way anyway".

Bilbo nodded as Luin startled. The blue wizard eyed his mentor thoughtfully. If Gandalf was sending him away them that meant that he suspected something but was not quite certain. Gandalf always liked to space out his chess pieces around the board. Luin was used to the old man's secretive nature. He knew how to read him. If Gandalf was sending him away then he feared for Bilbo's safety and wanted Luin with their nearest allies. Luin has no doubt that once Gandalf had confirmed his theory, he would tell him. But for now he would trust him.

"Goodbye Gandalf". The hobbit smiled.

"Good bye old friend".

Bilbo turned and began marching down the stone steps. "Come on Luin. Keep this old man company for a few days", he called behind them. Luin and Gandalf both chuckled.

"If you suspect the same as me", Gandalf murmured once the hobbit was out of ear shot. "Then await my word. I still have the talismans you gave me. I will send for you when I have confirmed my theory".

Luin nodded and patted Gandalf on the shoulder. "I shall await your call. Stay safe". Before jogging down out of the garden and along the street after the old hobbit. Gandalf a grey silhouette in front of the door, watching them go, expression grave.

Unedited

Short update for you there. Sorry I haven't updated in so long.
I'll try to do better.