Thirty one

What followed after the return of Theoden's mind was the banishment of Grima. Luin would have loved to watch but the feeling of itchiness at the unwashed state of his skin was still building. Instead, he strode forwards to the young woman in white. She smiled politely at him and bowed her head in greeting. "I am Eowyn, niece of Theoden. You are friends of Gandalf?"

"Yes", Luin nodded. "I am Luin the blue". He gave a half bow. "And this is Legolas". The blonde elf had wandered over and nodded as he was introduced.

Eowyn's face lit up in recognition. "I have heard of your exploits. How May I help you?"

"Would it be a trouble to request a room and bath?" Legolas asked politely. "We have travelled a long way and are in a bit of a state". Eowyn's eyes took in Luin's torn and dirty robes but she didn't to react too much, for which Luin was grateful. He was also glad that the hood hid the state of his hair. It made him flinch just to think about it.

"Of course", Eowyn smiled and waved over a couple of servants. She addressed them quickly and quietly and they disappeared down a corridor. "If you would kindly follow me". She turned with a swish of skirts and Luin and Legolas walked after her.

"Thank you", Luin voiced as she led them through the fort. "You're very kind".

Eowyn stopped at a wooden door and opened it with a creak. "There is no need for gratitude", she smiled warmly. "Rest yourselves. It is the lest I can offer. Would you like a separate room?" The question was addressed to Legolas.

"There is no need", Luin stated. "He is my fiancé". Her eyes widened in surprise as she stared at the both of them. Then she collected herself and nodded.

"Forgive me. It is not often we see elves here, much less a pairing between a wizard and an elf".

"You cause no offence", Legolas smiled. He gestured to the door and Luin wandered through.

"Men will arrive with your bath shortly", Eowyn spoke in parting. "May you be comfortable". Then she was gone back down the way they had come. The door closing behind her.

The room was mostly dominated by a double bed covered in furs. The headboard was beautifully carved to match the chest at the end. There was a small window with a wooden shutter and many candles. Luin walked round the room lighting them with a fire from his palm. The easy magic soothing him. Legolas busied himself with handing up his cloak and opening the chest. Since it was a guest room, the chest was filled with clothing of all shaped and sizes. He began rummaging through it for clothes in Luin's size. His robes officially ruined beyond repair.

Just as Eowyn had said, it didn't take long before there was a knock and men bustle into the room. Instead of a wooden tub, they had a cast metal one which they set down on the rug covering the stone floor. It was already partially filled and more men entered after to fill it with steaming water. A few of them stared in curiosity at them but none spoke. Luin was grateful when they were gone. His shoulders dropped and his sighed deeply. Legolas stacked the clothed he had found on the bed and wandered over. His hands rested lightly on the tops of Luin's arms. "Come", he murmured. The elvish soft and warm. "Let's get you cleaned".

Luin sagged into the touch. Exhaustion and emotion hitting him like a sedge hammer. With Legolas' help, he managed to get the clothes off. Some of it hurt where the mud and grime had stuck the material to his skin. Legolas' hands were gentle and reassuring and soon the cloth was in a pile on the floor out of sight. The water would have been still too hot for a normal human but it didn't bother Luin. He sank into the water with a sigh, barely glancing at his reflection on the surface. He suspected if he saw it he might cry.

"You still have bruises on your chest". Legolas was frowning as he knelt at the bath's side. He had rolled up his sleeves and he handed Luin a block of soap. It was plain and smelt slightly of lavender. Luin scrubbed up a foam with the water but perhaps he had been scrubbing too harshly. Legolas reached out and pressed a hand over his. "Allow me". Luin nodded and handed over the soap. He relaxed in the hot water, resting his chin on his knees as Legolas rubbed the dirt off his back.