Four

The journey to Rivendell was slow and uneventful. Luin would have much rather flown by himself but Bilbo insisted on walking. He said that he wanted the 'nostalgic experience'. Although Luin reminded him that if he wanted to recreate the journey he had taken with the dwarves, then maybe he should get a pony. It would be quicker. But Bilbo reminded him that he had lost the ponies to the trolls. Luin had given up at that point.

All in all, the journey was nice. It was relaxing and quiet. When they reached the gates of Rivendale, it was to find Arwen waiting for them. She smiled as they came closer. "Mr Baggins", she greeted, voice melodic as ever. "Gandalf has notified us of your journey. You are welcome to stay as long as you like".

Bilbo grinned back. Over the course of the journey Luin had noticed that he had seemed to age. He was older now than he had been back at the shire, despite it only being a week. His hair was whiter and more wrinkles dotted his skin. The ring no longer in his possession to ward off ageing. This change further solidified Luin's suspicions. "Why thank you. I am sure that I will be very happy here". Bilbo chuckled. A servant elf stepped forwards and led the hobbit through the gates to where he would be staying.

Arwen turned to Luin and opened her arms. Luin smiled and stepped forwards into her hug. She was a beautiful and lovely as ever. Luin had missed her. "It's good to see you Luin", Arwen sighed as he stepped back. "How are you?"

"It's good to see you too Arwen. I am fine. How long has it been? A year or two?"

"Yes. Not too long but it's still great to see you". Arwen smiled and Luin relaxed. Her gentleness always seemed to smooth him. His anxiety lessened as she looped her arm through his, linking their elbows together. His blue robes complimented the pale green of her dress. Together, they began walking through the city streets, chatting amicably. Citizens smiled as the two passed. Luin and Arwen familiar within the city. It was their home.

"Where's your lover?" Arwen asked, tone slightly teasing. The corners of her mouth trying not to tug up at the corners. Luin smiled sheepishly, a faint blush on his cheeks, at the mention of Legolas being described that way.

"Legolas is off doing the boring part of being a prince".

Arwen groaned. "Urgh. The discussing treaties and visiting parts of the realm. My brothers are busy too. Somewhere off travelling. You missed them by three months".

Luin laughed as he recalled Arwen's older brothers. They were often travelling. Always active. But when they were around, they were like Luin's own siblings. Elladan had been the one to first spar with him when he was a young teen. Elrohir and Arwen had taught Luin how to play the lyre and harp. "How is Elladan and Elrohir? I miss the twins".

"They are good. Only stopped by for a few weeks. Asked about you. Said that whenever you are near the forests of Harad, look for them. They plan to be there for a few years".  Luin mentally stored the information. It would be nice to see the two again.

He and Arwen parted once they had climbed up to the top most building. It was a grand majestic building where Elrond and his family lived. Luin had a room on the second floor. He climbed the marble steps alone, Arwen having left to meet her father. Luin was going to join them once he had freshened up.

He pushed open the door with a tired sigh. The room was clean and dust free, exactly the way he had left it. Four poster oak bed with matching ornate furniture. His guqin case was resting on top of a chest of drawers under the window. Elvish Jewellery and various hair ornaments decorated the vanity table. A jade token hung from the convoy over the bed and various talismans were stuck round the room. Blue cloaks hung from the back of the door and the rest of his clothes were stored in the wardrobe. His favourite part of the room was the large bookcase and armchair positioned near the doors to the balcony, lit by the midday sunlight.

It was the room he had grown up in. After the ship wreck, Luin had been a scared traumatised child. Gandalf had taken him to Rivendell where he stayed for three years before beginning to join Gandalf on his journeys. The room held a sense of nostalgia that was both comforting and sad. Countless nights were spent curled up on the bed mourning his family. Long days lying on the wooden floor in the sun, anything not to stay in the dark. He trailed a hand over the cream covers and sank back onto the bed.

He hadn't seen Legolas in almost a year. Elves, due to their long lifespans, took a long time to do things. Human time was not the same to them. This meant that discussions could go on for months and Legolas would be busy for a while yet. Luin missed him. With a yawn, Luin rose and made his way through to the adjoining room where a steaming bath was waiting.

It was three days until Gandalf's message arrived. Luin was in the middle of having lunch and tea with Arwen in the city gardens when a flame sparked in the air. A paper literally burst into being and fell into Luin's hand, the edges smoking slightly. Arwen paused mid word as he unfolded it and read the lines.

Suspicions confirmed. Meeting with Saruman.
Meet with me in three days at the prancing pony.

Short and to the point. It was impossible for Luin's message talismans to be intercepted but once they had reached their destination, the magic wore off. Luin let fire spark in his hands, burning the message to ashes which then drifted away. 

"Are you going now?" Arwen asked.

"I'll leave in the morning", Luin replied as he took a sip from his cup. A burning dread was eating at his insides and he tried not to let it show on his face. If Gandalf's suspicions were confirmed, then what did that mean for middle earth?

Unedited