Thirty four

"I am glad to see that your friendship with Gimli has developed", Luin commented as he flew slowly alongside Legolas. The elf was running alongside the scouts Theoden had sent ahead, using his keen eyes and senses to help keep and eye out for any threats. Luin at his side, feet balanced on the blade of his sword as he kept pace. A short distance behind them was the citizens of Rohan. Thousands of people marching onwards towards Helms deep with all the belongings they could carry.

"I shall admit that his is not bad, for a dwarf", Legolas admitted with a slight smile, knowing that Luin was going to tease him for it.

"Not bad for a dwarf he says", Luin crowed with a grin. "Ithil, don't lie. I know that you have warmed to dwarves after all the visits to Erebor". Legolas snorted and rolled his eyes at him, hiding how pleased he was to see the laughter back in Luin's eyes.

"Gimli is a respectable warrior", he conceded.

"Respectable warrior just like his father", Luin nodded. "Gloin was a good companion during the quest to retake Erebor. You met him, actually, if I recall correctly, you insulted Gimli".

"When?" Legolas frowned. He hopped on top of a rock outcropping with a slight view to gaze over the green plains.

Luin thought for a second, smiling cheekily as he recalled. "When you and the guards were searching the company for weapons", he giggled. "You found a locket with Portraits of Gloin's family. You called Gimli a mutant halfbreed".

"Well", Legolas muttered, a embarrassed flush on his ears. "That was different times. I was a different person before I met you and left Mirkwood".

Luin swooped close enough to kiss his fiancé's cheek. "You were. But so was I. There is no fault in it. It would be amusing if Gimli knew of the interaction". Legolas sighed but his lips were failing to hide his grin. Luin giggled as he hovered at his side. His sword only an inch or so above the ground, making the two of them the same height. He smiled widely, wind whipping his newly short hair round his face. Legolas relaxed slightly and reached out to tuck a strand behind his ear. Luin leaned into the touch softly.

"Stop distracting me", Legolas smiled.

Luin huffed. "I'm not distracting you. Merely keeping you entertained". Legolas chuckled and Luin grinned.

Suddenly a scream rang out over the planes. Both of them turned towards the noise as behind them, the crowds paused. Before another scream could ring out, Legolas and Luin were already moving. Legolas sprinted towards the noise as Luin ascended up into the air. The vantage point giving him a wide range of sight. He gazed over the green. Just over a rocky outcropping, hidden behind a ledge, were the remains of tow of Theoden's men. One was already dead and the other had been thrown from his horse. A orc rider descended on him as Luin watched. The warg it was riding cutting off the second scream savagely.

Legolas reached the warg and it's rider first. An arrow knocked the orc from it's back and a second slew the beast. Aragorn reached the outcropping just in time to watch as Legolas slew the orc with his blade. "A scout!" He shouted.

"Luin!" Aragorn called up. "What can you see?"

"Wargs from the west. Twenty strong! All warg riders!" Luin called down. Aragorn was already running back to Theoden for his horse and to gather the men. Luin glanced at them and saw the riders gathering as Eowyn steered the civilians in another direction. The wind billowed around him as he flew down to where Legolas was perched on a rock at the tip of a hill. He dismounted his sword and the blade flew back into it's sheath as he stepped forwards towards the approaching enemy.

"Stand behind me", Luin commanded as the wargs came bounding over the hill opposite them. He could hear their blood thirsty baying and grimaced. It reminded him of when the pale orc had chased him and the company on wargs for three days straight. He hadn't been as skilled then. Legolas nodded and stepped into his shadow. Luin took a deep breath and drew out his fan. He flicked it open and held it out in front of him as the wargs drew closer. He felt his Qi being to build up as he tapped into this spiritual roots. Air and fire.

As if he was fanning a flower, he swept out his hand. A wave of air burst out like a tsunami. The energy building and the wave of air growing bigger the more distance it travelled. When it hit the Wargs, it was so big that they couldn't escape it in time. It swept them up. Orcs knocked from their backs and sent flying backwards, scattering like a handful of dice. The wargs sent grumbling over the ground and back over the hill with surprised howls. By the time the vicious wind cleared, weapons, wargs and orcs all lay strewn across the green. The creatures disorientated and battered.

Luin gasped and staggered back a step. He had forgotten how much a large scale attack like this could drain him. Legolas caught him by the shoulders and steadied him as he took a few deep breaths. "I must still be recovering from the spiritual binding rope", he muttered. "I had forgotten how much power this fan used when exposed like this".

The sound of galloping hooves drew their attention. Aragorn rode up next to them. Gimli and Theoden at his side. "They should be easier to pick off now", Luin gestured to the orcs trying to pull themselves up and grab their blades. The wargs were whining and snarling with dizziness.

"Amazing", Theoden remarked. "Thank you wizard".

"Very helpful Luin", Aragorn smiled as the men took off in a charge.

Legolas and Luin watched them go. The elf still with his hands on Luin's shoulders. "Are you alright?" He asked in concern.

Luin rubbed at the pressure points on his wrists. "Yes. The fan works better in enclosed spaces. Less air to control. Out in the open like this, there's resistance. It's a good attack but not a lethal one".

Legolas nodded and let go of him to take up his bow. He drew and arrow and aimed it at the fray. What could have been a bloody battle with horrific losses was more of a scuffle. Luin stood at the elf's side as he shot arrow after arrow from their vantage point. The orcs who were still on the ground were swiftly cut down. The ones who had managed to get up and put up a fight found themselves outnumbered. Luin heard Gimli's yell as he tipped off his horse and came up with his axe raised. His roars  of triumph as he beheaded a warg echoed back to them. Some of the wargs ran away but the majority fell to Legolas' arrows and the Rohan spears. Soon the hill side was bloody with the blood of wargs and orcs.

Theoden and Aragorn rode back to where Luin and Legolas were standing once it was over. Theoden nodded at him. "This could have been a battle of manny losses. I owe you a debt".

"They meant to weaken you before you reached Helm's deep", Aragorn spoke up. "We must be careful".

"We should return to the people. Who knows what other traps lie ahead for us". Theoden waved a signal at his men and the horses all turned and began riding after Eowyn. Aragorn waited as they all passed.

"That attack is new", he remarked at Luin with a smile.

Luin grinned. "This fan is not made for delicate battle but that attack drained me more than I anticipated". He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"We shall ride the rest of the way until you recover", Legolas said. Luin nodded as Gimli wandered over, the reins of their white horse in his hands.

"I may need a hand getting back in the saddle", he announced gruffly. "Good conjuring", he nodded. "Just like the stories my father told me. You vs the pale orc. Nothing but fire and your guqin to stop him".

"Oh, that", Luin chuckled. "That was a last resort moment. I hope I will not be having one of those again".

Gimli handed the reins to legolas and wandered over to Aragorn. The man hoisted the dwarf up onto the horse behind him while Legolas swung himself into the saddle of their white mare. Luin pulled himself up behind him and looped his arms around the elf's waist. "Shame. I was hoping to see some fireworks", Gimli grinned.

Luin smiled as he leaned his head on Legolas' shoulder. "Maybe another time", he replied as the horses began to gallop after the others.

Unedited

Two towers warg attack scene? Na, Luin can sort that out. No need for Aragorn almost dying here.