Thirty two

Luin awoke to arms hugging him close. Legolas' face buried in the junction between his shoulder and neck, soft breath brushing his skin. The elf's long blonde hair covered his bare back. Strands unbound and free from dirt. Luin yawned, eyes crusty from crying, and shifted slightly. The blankets and furs on the bed were warm and safe. A comfortable cocoon of frozen time. Only them and the warmth.

He lay there for a few minutes, simply enjoying feeling his lover breathe. It slipped into a almost form of meditation. His energy expanding as the sleep fell away. It was the steadily growing light of dawn outside and the animals were all awake. He could feel their life signatures as they began moving around. A few of the people of Rohan were up too. Guards on the gates. Hunters preparing their tools for the day. Women rising for chores, and babies screaming for food. It was a human hustle and bustle that Luin was familiar with. A business that the elves, who had a softer signature, did not contain.

A sigh broke his concentration and his focus returned to the room. Luin opened his eyes and smiled softly as Legolas tensed slightly. The Prince automatically huddling into the warmth as he began to wake. Arms tightening briefly around Luin's chest as he buried his head deeper into his neck. Then he relaxed with a sleepy exhale and Luin felt his smile stretch at the corners. He reached out and brushed a lock of silver blonde hair behind a pointed ear. "Morning", he whispered.

Legolas made a light humming noise. Luin could feel the movement of a smile against his skin. The other brushing a soft kiss to his neck as he replied. "Dawn greetings Melethril". His voice was slightly husky from sleep and Luin doted it. These moments behind closed doors where Legolas was completely relaxed. Not a Prince or a travelling elf. Just Legolas, Luin's lover.

"I assume we should rise", Luin muttered. "Our companions will be waking up soon".

Legolas sighed  and pressed another kiss below Luin's jaw. "Let me bask in your presence", me mumbled back. "I missed you".

"I was only gone five days", Luin stroked his fingers through the long blonde hair soothingly. "You found me before I could come to any real harm".

Legolas shifted so that they were face to face, noses only a centimetre apart. Luin moved his hand down to brush the hair behind a pointed ear. Black eyes meeting blue. "It was five days too many. I should have gotten there sooner, killed the orcs who did this to you. Any harm to you, of the mind or of the body, saddens me. If it were up to me then I would keep you safe and in comfort. However, you have your duty as a wizard. You are beautiful in battle and your compassion moves me. You love helping people and I would never take that away from you".

"Nin Ithil", Luin rested their foreheads together. Legolas' jewel around his neck warming as spiritual power flowed between them. "We are at war. So I can't promise that I would not get injured again. But if that happens, I will know that you will always come for me. And if our positions were reversed, I would always come for you. I can promise you Ithil, that I shall fight anything that seeks to separate us. I will never be caught unawares like that again".

"I will still worry".

"I know. Just as I will always worry about you".

They lay there for a while longer. Exchanging soft kisses as they basked in the bed. The peace allowing them to collect their thoughts from the emotional turmoil of the last week. They did not know when they would get another chance like this in the future. A chance just to lay in a warm bed with no urgent matters to deal with. Just time for them as a couple, to unwind and enjoy each other's presence. It was a soothing balm to both their souls.

But the sun was rising and soon sounds of life were becoming audible. Luin sighed, hand resting on Legolas' cheek. "I suppose we must break fast with the others".

"Gandalf and King Theoden will be up and already planning our next move", Legolas murmured. "We shall be expected to join them".

"Moving seems like a chore". Legolas grinned as Luin grumbled. He stroked a hand down the wizard's ribs as he leaned in to kiss his nose.

"A chore we must bare". He moved and threw off the blankets and furs, rising in a fluid motion. Luin scowled at the cold and sat up. The movement felt weird. No long hair brushing against his back. He raised a hand to his head and ran his fingers through the now short strands.

Legolas looked up from where he was picking up clean clothes. He shrugged material over his head to ward off the morning chill as he went through their belongings. The elf had dressed in only a long white nightshirt. The hem brushing his knees and his loose blonde hair tumbling over his shoulder. "Melethril, is something wrong?"

"No. It will just take me some time to get used to this lack of weight". Luin shook his head, feeling the black strands brush against the very tops of his shoulders and his neck. He hummed. "It tickles".

Legolas grinned and leaned over to press a kiss to the now exposed nape of his neck. Luin leaned back against him. "You are beautiful. Although your short hair is now prone to bed head". Luin gasped and ran his hands through his hair. Legolas laughed as Luin poured at him.

"Help me smooth it down?" Smooth fingers and a comb began to help tame his hair. Luin grinned and gazed at him.

"Let's get dressed", Legolas kissed him on the cheek once he was done. Then he scooped up Luin's hands and pulled him to his feet. Handing him the clothes he had picked out. "Otherwise I may fear that our friends might send in a rescue team". They dressed quickly to ward off the chill. Once he was done, Luin wrapped his arms around Legolas again. Left over anxiety and stress making him touchy. His lover's body heat serving as a grounder. Legolas let him, understanding why Luin needed it.

"Ready to face the Wolves?"

"Are you relating the hobbits and Gimli to Wolves?

Legolas winced and pulled a face. "The dwarf, maybe. The hobbits? That was a mistake. I was more accurately referring to the humans".

Luin giggled. He took a breath and straightened. His new clothes were shades of charcoal grey and deep blue. The trousers darker than the tunic but a blue cloak was draped over his shoulders. He raised a hand to his hood then forced it to drop. "As ready as I can be".

Legolas's gaze was fond. "I am right here".

Luin loved him. "I know".

Together, they opened the door and strode down the corridor to the main hall. The voices of the fellowship echoing as they drew close.

Unedited

Anyone in need of soft fluffiness? Fear not, I have delivered.