19

"Forgetting something, Riddle?"

Tom felt his heart stop as his face hardened and he turned on his heel to discern the person that said that.

A red haired girl with pale freckles said. Her hair was pinned up in a bun and was held up by a quill.

She had green eyes that didn't seem to have a stop.

Tom recognized her to be the friend Lilith was always around. The one who had the on and off relationship with a guy named Theo.

"Found these two jackets up on the Astronomy Tower." The girl examined the black satin on Lilith's robe and held a pondering look as she glared back at Tom, extending her arms to hand both of them over to him before realizing who was in his arms.

"I found Lilith passed out on the ground. Decided to return her to her dorm." Tom half lied. The girl simply shrugged and tucked the coats under her arm.

"I'm Catherine Duval. Lilith's friend." The girl said as they still stood around. Wands could point at them at any moment.

Tom processed what the girl said but didn't care. He looked around for a door to the castle.

Catherine caught on to what Tom was doing and she spotted a light nearing towards them. She looked over at Tom.

"Follow me." She said as Tom raised his eyebrows and followed her to a pathway that looked like it led to nothing.

Catherine waited for Tom to catch up and pushed on a wall, seeming to be struggling until the wall moved. It opened like a doorway and Catherine shuffled in.

Tom looked around before following, absent minded. The door creaked shut and he found himself faced to darkness. He had to turn sideways so that Lilith didn't hit the walls that surrounded them tightly.

"Lumos."

A light lit up and Tom looked down directly at Catherine who's wand was lit. She looked back up at him and they stayed like that in the tight hallway for a while until she looked away and retreated to continue to walk down to hallway which led down to a flight of stairs where a door stood tall.

She opened it to reveal the Slytherin common room. It was a mess. There were robes, books, quills, and clothes everywhere.

Tom stepped out with Catherine and saw a pale blonde on the couch.

They were sprawled on the couch, shirtless. There were claw marks all over their back and chest and bruises on their neck and collarbone. They still had their trousers on along with their shoes.

"Malfoy completely passed out and slept throughout the earthquake. Figured he was with another girl judging by the bruises and scratches." Catherine said as Abraxas shifted positions.

Catherine looked at the robe and coat in her hands and looked back at Tom, placing it on top of Lilith awkwardly.

"Can you show me Lilith's room?" Tom said, not wanting to hang around any longer. Catherine looked a bit dull when he said that.

"It's down to the right." Catherine said with a monotone voice as Tom nodded a thank you and went towards Lilith's room.

Creaking the door open, Tom was greeted by a wave of cold air from the open window.

Her room was cold and messy. Books, parchment, and her uniform was tossed around the room. Books were opening and flipping pages magically. Her bed was unmade and looked demolished. The rose shaped paper Tom made for her still settled on the sill.

He put her down on the bed along with the robe and coat and walked around the room. He flipped through pages. Every page was marked with some kind of annotation. Messy and scattered like mad scientist. On a separate parchment, Lilith copied down quotes from the textbook and broke it down.

"Let mercy rain on the foul one who reigned."

Unjustly or of justification.

Tom flipped through it, scanning every word but not stopping until he found a quote that struck his attention.

"Bête Noire. Term for black beast or someone particularly disliked by another.

First recording of a Bête Noire in Magical History: Salazar Slytherin and Goodrich Gryffindor.

A feud that carries to descendants.

Rumored to be forbidden, sin ridden lovers, they shared a dislike to each other that resulted in a war between Slytherin and Gryffindor.

Bête Noire's have the same fate. They die the same death at the same time and same place.

A good and evil relationship where either good absorbs the evil or evil absorbs the good."

Tom read through it over and over again until it was practically engraved in his head. He ripped the piece of parchment and put it in his pocket.

Multiple voices and footsteps came into the Slytherin common room at once.

Tom straightened his back as he stepped closer to the dorm door and pressed his ear on it.

The footsteps and voices stopped abruptly meaning that a teacher walked in.

"Attention Slytherins. Today, we have acknowledged an earthquake but nonetheless, it was not a fatal one. We are still on the lookout for students that are missing so if you have seen Lilith Rosenyx, Tom Riddle, and Catherine Duval, please report to me and the professors will handle it. Classes will be resumed and so will your daily schedule. All seventh years will report to the Great Hall at 1pm for a special announcement regarding the end of the year. Any questions?" Dippet's voice echoed through the common room.

"Professor?" A voice broke the silence.

"Yes?"

"Catherine is right there."

Dippet paused possibly meaning he spotted Catherine and he let out a haughty laugh.

"Oh, there you are. Will you follow me to my office after I finish this? Also, have you seen the rest of the missing students?" Dippet was put off track and small coughs were heard.

"Um, Lilith apparently passed out but Tom found her and they're back in their dorms." Catherine's voice strained and Professor made no other comment except an insignificant sigh of relief.

"Professors. Go into Lilith and Tom's dorm and tell them to come to my office. And if Lilith is still unconscious, bring her to the hospital ward." Dippet muttered to the group of teachers who's footsteps came closer.

"As for everyone else, go back to your dorms and get rest. I am aware most of you have important exams tomorrow." Dippet continued. His usual cheery tone lost.

Tom stepped back, knowing what would happen as he stepped back and leaned on the wall.

The dorm room door swung open. Professor Slughorn looked at Tom directly in the eyes and looked at Lilith who was on the bed.

"Professor. I'm a head boy and I saw Lilith on the floor, unconscious. I brought her here and stayed to make sure nothing happened." Tom defended himself. It was a sturdy lie and no one would suspect it.

"Don't worry, Tom. I know. You've done nothing wrong. If you are in trouble, I will defend you." Slughorn said. He forgot all about the stuff about Tom. All he saw was an innocent and keen student.

"Professor Merrythought. Call the hospital ward. Ms. Rosenyx is still unconscious. Tom, follow me." Slughorn motioned Tom to exit the room and Tom obliged.

Tom left the common room with Slughorn. He was certain no teacher thought he was dubious. No one knew.