29

A piercing scream rang throughout the castle and it was the exact scream from the party and from the beast that one night. This was the third time.

Tom sharply opened his eyes and was sweating profusely. He couldn't keep his breath steady and it felt like he was suffocating in oxygen. It was like being drowned.

He ran his wet hand through his hair and climbed out of the bath, grabbing his black pants and white button up. Tom didn't have time to dry himself off, putting his clothes on over his wet body, not even bothering to button up his shirt.

The only thing on his mind was Lilith. The sight of her dead in an unknown beasts arms. His heart pounded like it was about to burst out of him and he rushed out of the bathrooms and down the corridors, ignoring the yelling of the portraits telling him to slow down. If the screams were present, something bad could've happened to Lilith and he wasn't there.

Riddle felt as if he was going mad. Did he really care if she was alive or dead? Or is she just an asset? There wasn't an answer yet but it was already set in place and it was too far to meddle with what was already done. All he knew was that he couldn't lose her now. There was unfinished business. He needs her.

Following the steep steps of the Slytherin common room, he went and pounded on Lilith's dorm door.

No response.

"Lilith. Open the door." He was demanding and there was still no response. His head was pressed against the door and he took out his wand.

"Alohomora." The door clicked open and he saw Lilith on her bed, in deep slumber. Tom kept in a sigh of relief. He walked in, getting closer to her and realized something was not right. All color was drained from her face and she looked unsettling. This wasn't human.

"Lurking again, Riddle?"

Tom turned to see Abraxas looking furious. His hands were folded and his blonde hair was unkept as the darkness in his eyes swept over him.

"What did you do??" Abraxas asked, walking towards Tom.

"Leave. This doesn't involve you, Malfoy."

"I'm afraid it does," Malfoy had an unnerving look on his face, "have you ever heard of the Tale of the Beastly Snake?"

Tom raised his eyebrows and held onto Lilith's freezing hand. He held on tight, brushing his finger over her wrist in search of a pulse. She was weak.

"It was carried on the Malfoy line for centuries. There once was a beast who lived under the moon and was feared by every village in the nation. It was so terrifying, it was rumored that it would scream a horrific screech to warn of its danger. And once it screamed three times, death of the purest soul would be taken and overshadowed with evil. This time, the beast didn't kill the one that was chosen because she was so beautiful that he took her captive and took over her mind, becoming his bride. Then, a snake that heard of the news became furious of the beast's power. It traveled under the moon and found the girl to be impregnated with the beast's offspring. In the sky, the beast peered in on his wife and the snake and watched the snake bite his wife's thigh and injected venom in her. She had become so weak that her body went limp. The beast screamed the worst horrific note and took over the sky, clouding it with black even in the day and never came back."

Tom felt his ears start ringing. How come he's never heard of this?

"The snake had taken the limp wife and her baby was born in the dead of night. Her screams were as piercing as the beast's. The baby was born a human in the form of evil. It's veins contained the snake venom and the beasts poison. The mother died after the birth and the snake slithered into the baby's mouth. He grew up to become The Beastly Snake who invaded peoples mind and filled their veins with venom, killing them instantly." Malfoy finished. Tom held onto Lilith's hand.

"Why did the beast leave?" Tom asked. His mind clouded and it was impossible to retrieve his thoughts.

"Out of a broken heart. He only comes back for revenge for the snake and even then, no one knows the ending."

Tom let go of Lilith's hand and looked at Malfoy's clouded eyes. Abraxas looked at Tom like he was the beast.

"I spent weeks figuring out what has been going on. I can't believe I've been so blind to what's in front of me. I've kept silent but I'm breaking it now so that she doesn't get hurt. The first scream of the beast at the party when Lilith first arrived. The second scream when both you and Lilith were gone and Lilith ended up in the infirmary. The third one tonight where Lilith lies like stone. Tom, you are the beast." Abraxas pointed his index finger at Tom and madness melted over his face.

"You and I are not on the same terms however, if I were the beast of an old bedtime story your mother told you, then I assure you that the danger would not come any where close to Lilith." Tom said through gritted teeth.

"Then why are you so invested in her? Why would you ask so many questions about who she is? Why would you make her weak?" Abraxas reached in his pocket for his wand but Tom quickly flicked his wand up and made it fly across the room.

"I made her stronger. I made her see things she hasn't seen. She is not the one I want to kill. If you play at this game, you will be the beast and I will be the snake. You will cower away of a broken heart and I will be the one who wins." Tom pointed his wand at Malfoy's neck, digging it into his pulse.

Tom started to think about the tale longer. It all seemed to match up. But, the beast was not real. It was apart of something. Someone. Some pair. All the puzzle pieces were starting connect but there was still missing pieces. He couldn't figure it out. All he knew was that Lilith was no longer his target. He put aside all the games and was now focused on Malfoy.

Soon, Lilith will realize the truth. The change of plans would mess with her. In Lilith's slumber, she began to connect things.

Lilith didn't see Tom on the night of her parents murder. No, it was not Tom. The hissing sounds and the intimidating beast-like appearance.

He was neither the beast or snake.

Tom Riddle was the descendent of the heir of Slytherin and the Beastly Snake.

But who was the beast? Who was the snake?