Book two; chapter one

"Y/N helped me choose it just for you!" Mori exclaimed as he tried convincing Elise to put on a dress that Mori had asked you to buy. He had made her try on all the ones that he'd chosen and tried convincing her to try the one you chose for last.

Once Odasaku, who had just entered the room, had gotten their attention, you made sure to bring down the steel blinds for the windows. Mori flicked his hand towards a small room connected to his. It was your order to leave and go to your room, which you gratefully did.

When he was done with his meeting with Odasaku, Mori called you in. You bowed your head slightly, as you were never required to bow down fully in his presence. "Now, Y/N, you know you've been quite helpful to me in the past and present when it comes to all the manuscripts we have."

"Yes, sir."

You looked up at him to see a mischievous glint in his eyes. "However, I'd like to move you to the front lines."

"Ex"- with a single glare, you shut up. You coughed. "I'm sorry sir. May I ask why?"

"Dazai Osamu is in need of someone to do the desk work only he could do."

You raised a brow. "So why not just.. Make him do it?"

"We shouldn't be making our best executive sit around all day," Mori shot back. "And.. Dazai's printing is ..not the best." You nodded, and were excused the next second.

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:••:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

Dazai had sped in front of you and you were panting when you'd finally caught up. He was playing a video game, like a child, while the older executives and members of the mafia bowed their heads. You listened intently to the information, writing down notes on the notepad you'd brought, tuning out Dazai's voice.

You were caught off guard when he pulled you by the hand and dragged you down to where Hirotsu was. Dazai crouched down to inspect the bodies as you caught your balance, and Hirotsu fumbled with the video game.

You knew Dazai was known as a merciless executive. He hadn't shown that side of him until now though, so watching him carefully examine the situation in a low voice surprised you. He spoke quietly, so you had to crouch down a bit to hear everything and write it down. He spoke quickly, so your handwriting was a bit rushed. It didn't matter if you couldn't read it later anyways- you could just use your special ability.

Dazai, who had seemed bored earlier, seemed to have his interest peaked after learning new information about the group who had done this. You shivered as you saw his smile- when it came to Mori, you were numbed.

"Hirotsu-san," Dazai spoke. "They hit one of the Port Mafia's best storage units. They used the official passcode to get in. It's only known to members who are sub executives and higher. Could it mean that we have a traitor?"

"Don't we know whose behind these attacks?"

"My subordinates tortured a hostage from yesterday to make him talk," Dazai explained. "But he seized an opportunity to kill himself using a suicide pill hidden in his back tooth. But we did manage to learn one thing. The organization's name is.. Mimic."

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:••:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

"If that's all you need me for.." You trailed off, hoping he would be done for the day. You'd been stuck by Dazai's side the whole day, and had not done much work. Assigning you to be by Dazai's side was a stupid move. And you thought Mori was the master of chess.

"You could've gone on your way a long time ago," Dazai commented, as he jumped up onto a rock by the shore. "I never needed you here."

You grit your teeth. Of course, you agreed with him completely. It still pissed you off, for some reason. "Of course. I wanted to ask Mori-sama to not assign me here but I decided my rank was too low for such a thing."

"Sama?" Dazai repeated, amused.

"Yes." You replied stiffly. "If you don't need me, I'll be on my way. See you later Dazai-kun."

"Sama," Dazai said again, in a more sure tone.

You looked back at him. "Excuse me?"

Dazai grinned. "Call me Dazai-sama. It's an order from your superior."

You were about to raise your voice at him, when his phone rang. He answered it, his conversation seeming to be brief and serious. You wanted to go, but your legs didn't move. Once he ended his call, Dazai looked over at you. "Nevermind. We have a small task to do, so you're coming with me."

"I thought you didn't need me," you retorted, raising an eyebrow at him.

Dazai jumped off the rock he sat on, and stalked over to you, to pat your head. "But you need me. Walking alone near dark wouldn't be safe. Mori didn't assign you to me just so you could do my work- he wanted me to look after you too." Dazai grabbed your wrist and pulled you forwards. "Now let's hurry."

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:••:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

You hid behind Dazai, forehead pressed against his back as multiple, loud shots were fired. It hurt your head. You didn't want to be here. You sighed in relief when the gunmen stopped shooting but flinched once more when you heard bodies drop with a thud.

Dazai looked back at you, surprised (although he didn't seem to be so) that you were so shaken by what he considered to be part of his everyday routine. He imagined you lived the same life as him because he constantly saw you at Mori's side. He guessed Mori had shielded you from that then. Maybe you were put at Dazai's side so you could be fully thrust into the depths of the mafia.

You leaned back, taking your forehead off of Dazai, and rubbed it. Dazai reached his hand back to pat your head once before heading to Odasaku. You would've listened to them, payed closer attention to how Dazai behaved around people he enjoyed the presence of, but the round of shots that were fired right next to you still hurt your head so badly that you had to lean on one of the shooters.

Dazai and Odasaku spoke too low for you to hear anyways. And you were dismissed earlier. You had no reason to be writing down information.

But when you saw a blurry figure from behind Dazai stand up, you yelled. "Dazai-kun!" Dazai turned to you, while Odasaku and the gunmen stiffened, the gunmen readying their guns. The one you leaned against didn't even hesitate, despite you being propped on him a millisecond ago. Your legs still shook, and your vision still swam but you tried to focus.

"Oh?" Dazai turned around, grinning at the man who had been shot down before, who now stood up and pointed a gun to him. "Well, you have a commendable spirit. To tell you the truth, I hold you all in awe. No other organization has managed to face the Port Mafia head on." Dazai stepped forward, towards the gun. "I hope you can see the joy in my eyes. With just a slight press of your finger, you can give me what I desire most. My only fear is that you'll miss the target. But you won't. You're a sniper, aren't you?" You could hear the grin in Dazai's voice. "Either way, you'll be killed. At least try to kill one of the enemy executives before you go."

"Stop it Dazai," Odasaku warned.

"Please take me with you. Wake me from this oxidizing world of a dream.."

Odasaku yelled at Dazai again, and then there was a gunshot. Odasaku shot at the man. Then, the gunmen shot multiple times again. The second time was even more painful, the ringing in your head causing you to have to stumble down onto the floor. You cursed Mori in your head. You should've stayed in the accounting facilities. You also cursed Dazai. You could've just walked home on your own.