Book two; chapter six

Mori had simply pushed you in front, to your surprise, and waved goodbye. You were frozen in shock until they left, watching them step away until they disappeared. Once the Port Mafia was out of view, you sighed in relief. It felt like a weight was taken off your shoulders.

You felt that weight, more literally this time, when you felt Dazai hug you from behind. He buried his head into your shoulder, inhaling deeply. "You stink," he sighed.

"I haven't showered in days," you muttered back, turning your head to the side. "At least I have a reason for smelling bad."

Dazai smiled, lifting up his head to kiss your lips, using his fingers to hold your chin in place. "I'm sorry you got involved in this, belladonna."

"I was irresponsible," you sighed, resting your forehead on his, shutting your eyes. "I'm sorry for worrying you." Dazai simply kissed you again. "Why do you think Mori let me go so easily?"

"Maybe," Dazai offered. "The Port Mafia can show mercy."

                               •:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:••:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

"So," you spoke as you entered your home, after so long, slipping off your shoes. "You're going to retrieve Q right?"

Dazai nodded, closing the door behind him. "Yeah.. I'm going to have you go stay over with Naomi and Haruno."

"I promise not to go anywhere," you chuckled lightly, but did not joke. Not listening to Dazai was always the wrong thing to do, it seemed. "But um, about Q.. he's just a kid."

"I know," Dazai answered, quicker than you expected. "I don't plan on killing him."

"And what's the plan with Kyouka? We- you're saving her now, right?"

Dazai leaned down, to get face to face with you. He smiled- not the menacing way he smiled at Mori. He smiled softly now. It was hard to tell which side of him was the real one. "We." You raised a brow, confused. His smile widened, his eyes sparkling as the smile reached his eyes. "We're saving her. You're part of the agency now, Y/N. Don't ever think anything else."

You smiled back, tilting your head to the side, admiring his face. "I love you."

Dazai leaned forwards, placing a kiss on your lips. When you'd parted, you both kept your eyes closed, savouring the moment. You stayed near each other's lips. "I love you too."

Dazai's alarm suddenly went off, and he sighed, straightening his back. "I think you should come with me."

"To your mission?" You gasped. "No way, I'm not going out into that me"-

"No, so I can take you to the agency first. It's the safest place to be right now."

You sighed. "I just took my shoes off."

Dazai laughed, waiting for you as you slipped them back on. He crossed his arms, leaning back on the door. "We're going to have to move soon."

"Ah, but we just moved here two years ago," you whined.

Dazai chuckled. "At least it was the longest we'd stayed in one place."

"But it's so nice," you protested, as you straightened back up, having put in your shoes. Dazai opened the door for you, letting you walk ahead of him. You thanked him briefly as you walked out and continued your rant. "I mean, it's cheap, the neighbors don't mind the noise, and their not noisy, the kitchen and living room are beautiful, and we get a nice view of the park."

"The kitchen and living room only became beautiful after months of renovation," Dazai rebutted. "The prices shot up last year, which is good for us because it would sell for a lot, the neighbors get real noisy once you're deep asleep- they time it just right every night, we should check if they have cameras- and the park is filled with bird poop."

Once he was done, he stared at you expectantly. You both were walking on the once chaotic streets, now serene as you walked through it. The sun was setting, and Dazai looked at you with a small smile as you looked ahead, the setting sun making everything and everyone look ethereal.

"Well, that place is important to me," you spoke softer. "Because that's where we started. That's where you first told me you love me. That's where I first realized I love you. That's where we shared our first kiss, our first everything. And I'm not letting that be taken away from me, even if I have to risk my life. Because that's not just my home. It's our home."

You were standing in front of the agency now, looking ahead, the words you just said sinking in and making you want to accept one of Dazai's double suicide requests. The two of you were just outside the door, standing side to side, you staring ahead, while Dazai stared at you, his mind racing.

In the presence of the setting sun, Dazai thought hard as his eyes traced every little detail about you, and took in everything about you. There was nothing he couldn't love. He'd tried, so hard, to not love you two years ago. He denied his feelings, but he failed. Dazai could confidently say he'd failed little to nothing in his life. Being unable to love you was one of them.

You looked to the side, wondering why he was so quiet, too embarrassed from your long speech to be looking at him. You just poured your heart to him, and his answer was silence. Yet his next two words, as simple as they were, took your breath away.

"Marry me."