book three; chapter five

"Dazai!" You yelled, as you stormed inside the agency. "How could you not wake me up?!"

"What? You're not even late?" Dazai said, glancing over at the clock.

"That's not what I meant, and you know it!" Your words got drowned out at the end, when the door slammed open again, and Atsushi came running in. "Is it true that the president was attacked?!"

"Yeah," Kunikida answered roughly. "He survived, but he's unconscious and suffering from mysterious symptoms. He isn't improving, even with Yosano's abilities."

"There have been a lot of similar attacks recently," Dazai commented, leaning back, relaxed in his chair, when this was most definitely not a moment to be relaxed. "Ability users being attacked at night, with no one around to see. Some have already died."

"What do we know about the attacker?" Kunikida asked.

"Only that they use an unknown ability and that they wear a mask." Kunikida repeated Dazai's words, under his breath, and Dazai continued on. "Of course, the attacker may be dead before we start running around. Atsushi-kun, which organization do you think stands to lose the most if an ability user killer were to go on a massacre in town?"

Atsushi took a moment before answering. "The Special Ability Department?"

Dazai straightened up and raised a finger. "In the town, it's the opposite." He smirked. "It's the Port Mafia. For the Port Mafia, wardens of the night, the relentless killings of the ability users whom their existence depends is an insult akin to having a knife swung around at their nose. If one of the Port Mafia were to fall victim..."

"Their credibility would come crumbling down," Kunikida deciphered. "But will they take any action before there are casualties?"

"The first to make a move wins," Dazai answered. "That's what Mori-san would always say." Your finger twitched at the mention of his name. "I guarantee they will act."

"You're going out?" You asked, as Dazai made the move of getting up, stretching his arms as he did so.

He nodded, draping his coat on. "Mind waiting for me to come pick you up today?"

"Not really, but if you don't get here by 7, I'm going home."

Dazai frowned slightly, but he walked over to your side to press a quick kiss on your forehead. "Fine, just ask Ranpo if it'll be safe, okay?"

"Of course. You get back home safe too, alright?"

"I'll do my best!"

Little liar, he was.

You knew that, obviously, but when at 4PM, before work even ended, you got a call from Atsushi, and he started panicking, you knew to never trust Dazai. Well, he didn't give a straight answer, so really it was your fault for not looking into it like you usually did.

Atsushi couldn't get the words out, but you quickly reassured him. "Text me what hospital you're taking him to, and I'll get there."

You ended the call, and leaned back sighing, closing your eyes.

"You feeling alright?" Naomi asked softly, coming up behind you and patting your shoulder lightly.

You shook your head. "Can you organize some of my work for the rest of today?"

"I'll cover you tomorrow too, don't worry." You opened your mouth to deny her help for a full day, but she quickly hushed you. "No , you're not coming for work tomorrow, Dazai's in the hospital, and you know you'll want to stay with him tomorrow."