book one; chapter five

╔═════*.·:·.✧    ✦    ✧.·:·.*═════╗

                                                     ╚═════*

                                                     ╚═════*.·:·.✧    ✦    ✧.·:·.*═════╝

You had done most of the paperwork in five minutes, but kept some more to do without your ability so you'd have something to keep your attention. "Y/N-chan!" Haruno called out, Naomi beside her.

Looking up from your desk, you raised an eyebrow. "Would you like to come with us to lunch? Yosano will be joining too!"

"Would love to," you smiled, as you quickly organized your paper filled desk. You'd probably have people to rant about Dazai with now.

As you sat down, the other girls gave each other knowing looks before looking at you, saying the same thing at the same time. "What's going on?"

You inhaled deeply before telling them everything, exaggerating a few things to be in your favor. "And," you bit your lip. "The thing that happened at my old job?" They looked at you in surprise. You'd never told anyone at the agency. "I-um, I almost died." The girls all gasped, apologizing to the people near because they interrupted a few conversations.

"At my old job, well, it wasn't the safest place, sure, but my specific job wasn't dangerous for the most part. I'd been in some situations but, I was never injured beause I never got involved. But one day some people barged in, trying to get me, so they could use my ability, they had some ancient runes or something they needed to uncover for a treasure. When they attacked I got shot..." The girls who were being quiet, were gaping at you. "Multiple times. And I was very badly injured actually, I was clinically dead for two minutes."

"What happened to the people..?" Naomi asked hesitantly.

You shrugged. "I assume they were ki- let go. I was never involved in a case or anything. I quit once I was discharged from the hospital."

"Woah," Yosano muttered. Haruno put a hand on your shoulder. "However long it takes Dazai-san to accept this, we'll be here while he's gone, alright?"

"Yes!" Naomi agreed, leaning closer to you. "I'm sure we're much better lovers than he is."

Haruno pulled Naomi away from you and scolded her. "That's not what I meant!"

"Anyways," you continued as you played around with your food. "I doubt we'll fix it today. He, Kunikida-kun and Atsushi-san have a case today, right?" Haruno nodded. "He'll probably be back late."

"If you want you could stay over at my place," Haruno offered. "If he'll be gone most of the night."

"No, I'll stay at home, but thanks for the offer." Your phone rang and you looked at the contact, declining the call and standing up. "It was Ranpo-kun. He asked me to buy some snacks before. I assume he's getting impatient."

"Poor you," Yosano chuckled. "Must be hard being his snack shack."

"It is, would you like the job?" You said bitterly as you headed towards the door. "See you back at work!"

For some reason, tonight you were unable to sleep. Maybe it was the fact that Dazai wouldn't speak to you, but it was also this feeling in the pit of your stomach. You could tell something would happen, and it was best you stay up for it.

You put your hair up and lay on the couch, with your blanket and pillow, the only light in the home coming from your laptop screen. When you heard sound near the front door, you immediately slid the laptop under the couch, not caring in the moment how far back it slid, and covered yourself with your blanket, but leaving your head to peek out and put a peaceful expression on your face, to make it seem like you had been sleeping for a while.

When the door opened, you tensed. Not because it wasn't Dazai, it was definitely Dazai. But it was Dazai with a visitor. A female visitor. You were debating with yourself, on if you should pretend to have woken up from the noise or the light, or if you should continue what you were doing now.

The thoughts left your head as you felt someone shake you. "Y/N-chaaan!"

You pretended to be tired and swatted at his hand, rubbing your eyes and adjusting your eyes to the light. "What?" You grumbled.

"I have a guest over. I hope you won't mind, my dear sweet sister?"

"Sis-?" "Thank you, you're so sweet!" He shoved your head back into the couch and continued speaking to the girl, offering to show her around. As they were about to leave the room, you looked up to get a brief look at her. And the brief look told you she was pretty. Very pretty. Dazai had a very pretty girl over. In your house. And she'd probably be sleeping in your bed. With your boyfriend.

You stood up from the couch and hurried to the kitchen to get your phone and charger. You didn't bother cleaning up your bed couch, and grabbed your coat and shoes, quietly closing the door as you left. You slipped on your shoes outside and struggled, walking and putting a jacket on with one hand. Once you'd managed, you stuffed your charger in your jacket pocket and took out your phone. You were already half way to your destination.

"Hello?" You heard a tired voice on the other line. "Y/N-chan? Are you alright?"

You'd started crying. In the middle of nowhere. You'd started crying. "Can I- Can I come over?"

"Of course, of course, do you need me to pick you up?" She asked softly, and you could already hear her moving around.

"No, I-" You sniffled, trying to keep yourself together. "I'm almost there. I'll be there soon."

As you were near her house, you got a few notifications on your phone. Expecting it to be Haruno, you opened it up, surprised to see a familiar number. They had sent you pictures of you in the middle of the street crying.

You cursed under your breath and headed into an alleyway. Once you were at the very end of it, you turned around, not at all surprised to see Chuuya Nakahara grinning at you. "Y/N. How have you been?"

"Well," you stated simply.

"Well? Is that what these pictures tell you?" He mocked, like the wide grin on his face wasn't mockery enough. "That you're doing well?"

"Very well," you repeated. "I'll admit, not great, but well."

"You're too nice," Chuuya scoffed. "You were never cut out for the port mafia."

"What do you expect, it's in my blood," you frowned. "My father died of a stupid sickness."

"Apparently stupidity runs in the family too," Chuuya chuckled bitterly. "You're dating the suicidial idiot now I heard?"

"Heard? Are you sure you're not stalking me?," you teased.

Chuuya rolled his eyes. "Shut up."

"Aww, Chuuya Nakahara, the vicious port mafia executive cares? For me of all people? I'm flatt"- You were interrupted by your phone ringing. Your face dropped, and you remembered everything that had just happened, why you had been crying in the first place. "I'm going to have to leave now."

"Kept your mind off of it for a little while," Chuuya shrugged, shoving his hands into his pocket, before grinning at you. "Don't cry too loud you big baby, I want to get a good rest."

"Don't be shy, say the real term, beauty sleep," you grinned back. The playful jabs replaced sappy goodbyes.

You rolled your shoulders to ease your muscles and answered the call. "Are you okay? It's been a while?"

"Yeah, I'll be there soon, gimme a few."