Book two; chapter seven

"Marry me."

You head snapped to the side to look at him, eyes widening. You paused, before looking ahead again, punching his arm. "Don't be silly Dazai, you have work to be doing right now. Don't get yourself hurt on your mission, alright?"

Dazai chuckled. "Alright." Another pause. It was more descriptive to describe it as an awkward silence. "You really know how to hurt a man, belladonna."

You opened the door to the agency, walking ahead. "It's just not the right time to be talking about this. Yokohama- our home- is in danger. Our first priority is protecting it."

Dazai smiled again, this time, a bit more bittersweet. "Yes. You're right." He nodded at you as a form of goodbye, before walking off, into the sunset. Without you.

"Osamu!" You called out. Dazai turned around. You waved, yelling. "Be safe!"

He nodded and resumed walking, waving his hand. You waved back, lowering your hand, despite the fact he wouldn't see. You believed what you'd said. Your new family, the Agency and your old family, the Port Mafia, were in danger. Your beloved was in danger as well. The first priority was the protection of Yokohama. That's what it always was.

And it was a small excuse to not say your other reasoning behind saying an indirect no. It felt too in the moment. You knew Dazai, you knew he planned things. But love made people do crazy things. You knew it made you do so. So who knew, what if Dazai was under it's curse as well? You wouldn't take advantage of him like that.

You watched as the sky finally started to become a purple colour, the dark would soon encase the city. You looked up, exhaling, shaking as well, you realized. It was the perfect moment. As a young child, living with parents who never cared for your well being, you were forced to daydream constantly, to block out the real world. The way he asked you to marry him was not like those daydreams, filled with a knight in shining armor riding his horse towards you, breathless as he gets on his knee, taking out a big beautiful ring, suavely asking you to marry him.

No, it was so much better. And it was a moment that had been missed, ruined by you. You regretted it as you finally stepped inside the agency. You regretted it as the elevator took you up. You regretted it as you headed into the agency, eyes darting to his desk right away.

But you knew it was the right decision. You were sure of it.

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:••:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

The next morning, Ranpo and Yosano had received detailed papers on the Moby Dick. Of course, you were the one who read all the papers and wrote notes, correcting Dazai and Ranpo on any small details about Moby Dick.

You didn't need an ultimate detective like Ranpo to sense the awkward tension between you and Dazai. Many of the agency members had slept over at the agency, which made you quite tired since Ranpo had stolen the comfy sofa, while Yosano took the comfy chair, leaving you hucnhed over you desk. Dazai hadn't come back, he'd apparently went home.

You were expecting a little tease about your speech yesterday. It didn't come.

Despite the awkwardness, which wasn't helped by Ranpo constantly voicing out the fact that it was very awkward indeed, you acted professional, not letting your relationship compromise your work as you'd promised Fukuzawa when he hired you.

"We're done then?" You exhaled, relaxing our shoulders as the men finished up their planning. They nodded. "I'm going to get some coffee."

"Y/N," Dazai called out quickly, grabbing your attention before you took another step. Ranpo, somehow, had already snuck out. "Once Atsushi saves the city." He walked towards you, taking your hand in his, tracing his nail around your ring finger on your left hand. "Then, I'll ask you again. What do you think your answer will be."

"Well, if our home was safe, if everyone else was safe, and most importantly- and I'm not sorry for being selfish- you are safe.." You trailed off, the corners of your lips turning up. "I'd say yes."

"It's great that I'm amazing at making plans then, huh?"

"And it's even better you have the two perfect people executing them." Dazai tilted his head, questioningly. You smiled. "I'd say if you're asking me to marry you, I'm not too bad at reading you. So, I have a feeling Akutagawa will be coming around."

"Not bad," Dazai chuckled. "I'm marrying you for a reason, of course."

"Be nice to him, yeah?" You looked up at him.

Dazai scoffed. "That's near impossible."

"A simple thing will do. Just pat his shoulder, or say good job. The kid would do anything for you. Your praise might give him a heart attack, so at least you'll gain something from it too?" It was your way of convincing him.

Dazai wrapped his arms around you, bringing you close. "Alright, but only for you."