Book two; chapter five

"Chuuya-kun!" You yelled, your hands held up in surrender as you approached the port mafia. Once he realized it was you he gestured for you to come over, while keeping an eye out for enemies. You whispered to the girl, telling her to crouch down. "I need help. I need to get some people out of a crash"-

"That isn't our top priority right now," Chuuya grit his teeth. "We have people that are easy to save, to rescue. We can't be saving people that may be dead."

"But I promised this girl"-

"You should know, of all people, to never make a promise you can't keep."

"I've already broken one promise in the last half an hour!' You yelled. "I can't break another."

Chuuya stared at you. You stared back, unwavering. He grit his teeth and looked away, a moment after, and then called two gunmen. "Tell them where they have to go. I don't want you going anywhere though."

You sighed, flinching when you heard gunshots. "Are you going to kidnap me again?"

"We'll see what Mori wants."

"Yeah," you grinned slightly. "I doubt Osamu will let you get away with it this time, though."

As Chuuya and Mori spoke about the situation, you stood on Mori's right side, with a poker face. How you ended up being taken away this time was a shock even to yourself. The whole situation had ended up being messy, and you'd actually went on your own will this time.

As Kouyou entered, catching the three of you by surprise, Mori waved his hand to you. "Go to your room," he ordered. You clenched your fists, eyebrows furrowing.

You were in no way a child yet you'd always been treated like one with him. It didn't really infuriate you, but right now you were angry at yourself for letting yourself obey them and needed to take that out on someone else.

"You'll be going back soon," Mori called out after you. "So enjoy your stay while you can."

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:••:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

You were unfortunately made to follow Mori, right behind him, and were surrounded by three other port mafia executives, so you couldn't see where in the world you were heading. Your heart leaped when you heard Dazai though. "Welcome boss."

"It's been four years," Mori greeted, with a smile. "Do you still wear the coat that I gave you?"

"Of course," you heard a thump, which you assumed was him jumping off of something. "I burned it."

"Port mafia boss, Mori Ougai." You again, were very relieved to hear the presidents voice.

"Armed Detective Agency chief executive, Fukuzawa Yukichi," Mori greeted back. As the two stepped towards each other, you came into view for Kunikida. You saw him hesitate once he saw you, probably wondering what would happen with you, and Dazai kept his eyes closed in expectation. He already knew you were here of course.

As the two leaders stood in front of each other you held your breath in anticipation. This was history being made. The Port Mafia boss and president of the Armed detective agency forming a truce? You would have never imagined.

"So the time has finally come," Fukuzawa spoke first.

"If the governemnt brass were to find out that the leaders of the two top powerful organizations of gifted in Yokohama were conducting a secret meeting, they would froth at the mouth," Mori commented.

"I'll get straight to business. A new member of the agency proposed an alliance with you, the Port Mafia. I objected. The idea of cooperating with criminals goes against the Agency's standards. But the proposal came from someone who, countless times, was shot, slashed and kidnapped by the Port Mafia. His words carry weight. Therefor, as the leader of the agency, I was left with no choice but to lend an ear."

"We are both in quite a difficult position," Mori commented.

"Alliance aside, I would like to request a temporary ceasefire."

You heard Mori chuckle lightly. "Have you ever heard of Schelling? Or perhaps of Kissinger?"

"Both are researchers of strategic studies," Dazai explained as he walked forwards. "Taught by you know who."

"I do read Sun Tzu," Fukuzawa commented.

"There is a parallel between state warfare and the strategies of illegal organizations such as ourselves. No one exists to punish either of us, should we violate agreements. What if the Port Mafia suddenly breaks a ceasefire? What if the Agency betrays us? The party that trusted in the agreement would be the only one to suffer. Under circumstances that reward the first to commit a betrayal, a limited ceasefire cannot be established. The only possibility is for complete cooperation."

"That's also impossible," Dazai added.

Mori agreed. "The Port Mafia is an organization of face and resentment. Many of my people have been dragged through the mud."

"Many of mine have been brought to the brink of death, as well," Fukuzawa said.

"But they didn't die," Mori countered. "And that is a source of great shame for the port mafia."

"Then how about this," Fukuzawa reached for his katana. "We settle our account here and now." Tachihara and Gin rush forwards, whilst Hirotsu moved to point his gun at your head.

You tensed but tried to seem relaxed as you looked over at him. "I thought we were friends." He sent you a look of forced disdain before looking back at the situation with Fukuzawa and Mori. Mori had a scalpel at Fukuzawa's neck, and Fukuzawa had his katana on Mori's. The men continued to insult each other, about Mori thinking like a little girl, and about Fukuzawa talking to cats, when Mori noticed the special ability being used.

"That was an enjoyable meeting. Let us continue it on the battlefield," Mori said as he walked away calmly.

"The agency will be recovering Q tonight," Fukuzawa added. "Don't get in our way tonight. For the both of us."

"Why?"

"Because that's our sole similarity," Fukuzawa explained. "That we love this city. As people of this city, as organizations that work to protect it, we cannot allow foreign gifteds to raze it."

"The Guild is powerful," Mori said. "The agency stands no chance." He turned back, smiling at them. "That is all from me. Dazai-kun, the offer still stands for you to return to the executive team."

"No way," Dazai chuckled slightly. "You're the one who kicked me out of the mafia in the first place."

"Did you not quit because you wanted to?"

"Mori-san, you were afraid weren't you?" Dazai grinned, his eyes dark like they were back in the mafia days. "That I might someday aspire to take your position and put a knife to your throat. Just as you did to your predecessor." Your eyes went so wide it hurt your head. Mori's grin was so wide, you could tell he was doing so despite standing behind him. Dazai smiled just as wide. "Evil expects evil from others."

"We also have one more request, sorry to say," Fukuzawa glared at Mori menacingly. "Let Y/N go."

Mori grinned. "Ah, what will you do, fight us for her?"

"No," Dazai glared, cracking his fingers. "But it may be time I make your fears come true."