13. Mission Successful?

The agonizing screams are all around them. The ground has potholes as deep as craters from the bombs, dying or dead men are scattered everywhere missing limbs and chunks out of there bodies. Women and children are crying and cradling each other.

Standing in horror, Naina sees a small girl holding her tattered bear, her eyes wide and rimmed with tears. Naina immediately sprint towards her and she opens her arms. Naina reaches her and picks her up. She starts to run back. Away from the bombs, guns and the fallen. The girl's small hands grip Naina's hair as she let's out a terrified scream. No child should have to experience seeing this.

Naina looks around her surroundings in order to find a way to save this little girl and her eyes spots Rajveer.

Major Rajveer throws a stepping right followed by a left hook to one of the terrorists. The man gets rocked and takes a step back. Rajveer follows through with a double leg take down into full mount and rains down, punches and elbows until the man is. bloody mess and unconscious.

"Rajveer sir... what do we do with this innocent girl? She seems to be alone here."

Naina shouts her lungs out as she makes her way where Rajveer is.

"Captain Singh, shift her to the van. The rest of the soliders will be able to take her back to the Ladakh base"

He responds as he takes out his gun to fire.

"Papa....mere papa kahan hain?"

The little girl looks around with teary eyes to look for her father who seems nowhere to be around and might have been dead.

"Do you hear me Captain Singh, I said move it!"

Major Rajveer practically shouts at Naina.

Naina stares at the girl and then back towards Rajveer.

"But sir, she is looking for her father"

Rajveer steadies the gun in his hand. as he aims, he pulls back the trigger. A loud crack echoes all around him as a wisp of smoke escapes from the gun barrel and the single bullet connects with it's target.

Making his way towards an emotional Naina, Rajveer stands right in front of her.

"Captain Naina Singh Ahluwalia, we don't know where her father is. If he is alive, we will find him. But right now, this little girl's life is important. This is not the time to be emotional Naina. Look at the sight around you, it's like wartimes."

Pointing at the little girl, Rajveer says,

"We are trained soliders but she isn't. Take her to the van, NOW"

Captain Naina gets a reality check. It's not the right time for emotions.

"Yes, sir"

she says .

Picking up the little girl in her arms, Naina heads towards the nearest van. Just then, she sees a man rushing towards her and the little girl. He looks like a civilian from his attire.

Not wanting to take a risk, she takes her gun out to aim at the man.

"Baba.."

Whispers the little girl as she gets down from Naina's arms and rushes towards her father.

"Sir, you need to get on the van. We are soliders and we want to make sure we can save as many people as possible"

Naina says to the man who turns out to be the father of the little girl.

Following her orders, the father- daughter duo get inside the van.

As she turns around, she spots a man right in front of her eyes with a sword in his hand. She looks at him and he smiles with an evil look because his sword was a powerful one.

A terrifying scrape of steel on cobbled stone rings threateningly down the alley. She knows this is the only way. Pulling out a sword from the weapons, she delves further to attack him. She dodges the man's sword as it comes crashing down with brute force.

She swings her dagger at him, but he is quick to block it. He brings down his sword suddenly, causing her to fall back. Scrambling, She gets to her feet with the weapon clutched in her hand. Glaring at the beast in front of her, she attacks his arm, cutting it into pieces. He falls on the ground as blood spills everywhere.

Rushing towards Naina, Gunny informs her,

"Naina, the mission is over. We have caught the terrorists, we need to return back to the base now!"

Naina takes a sigh of relief as she puts down the sword with blood dripping from her arms.

"And Rajveer sir?"

She asks Gunny

"Raj is handling one last man. He'll be back soon but humein wapis jaana hoga Naina. We need to return back to the Ladakh base. Dr. Shalini and Dr. Saxena won't be able to handle the wounded people alone. They need our help"

Gunny informs her.

But it looks like she isn't hearing what he is saying. Her eyes look around to search for Rajveer.

"No! Mein kahin nahi jaane wali Rajveer sir ko chor kar"

She shouts as she makes her way to find Rajveer.

Reaching her fast, Gunny gets a hold of her hand in order to stop her.

"Stop it Naina. Raj is a trained solider and he can take care of himself. If you go there, you can put both yours and his life in danger. Do you want that?"

Gunny shouts at her

"No..."

She whispers

"Then let's go"

Gunny instructs her.

As they turn around and walk a few meters, the sight in front of them causes a shiver to go down their spines.

The bloodstained ground is hidden by the many lifeless bodies adorning it and the swords of fallen men. On the other side however the battle is still going on. Many a sword clashed. Cries of pain and of victory is heard until there is a gun shot heard.

A complete silence takes place. For a brief period of time, the silence of submission: of defeat on one end and victory on the other.

"Rajveer sirrrr!!!"

Shouts Naina as she finds the bullet piercing the arm of Major Rajveer Singh Shekhawat.

And before another bullet is fired at Rajveer, Gunny fires a bullet at the only man present there, causing him to fall on the ground and die.

"Raj..ve..er sir.."

Naina whispers as she falls on her knees, dropping herself on the ground as she looks in the direction of Major Rajveer. His gaze holds onto hers before he falls into unconsciousness.

-_-_-_-_-

(A/N: please leave feedback!)