14. Back with a Bang

Ladakh Army Hospital

Everything spotlessly clean, yet you can still taste sickness in the air. Wards and corridors of sick people. You recognise the patients who know they'll never get better, because you can see it in their eyes and the hopelessness of their face. Even though every floor is scrubbed spotlessly, you can see all the tears that were ever shed on it.

Naina sits outside the operation theatre. She sits there quietly, her arms wrapped tightly around herself in a hug, hoping to comfort herself. Her body gently rocks back and forth, her cheeks have been stained with the endless stream of tears from her glossy eyes, enduring the emotional pain that continues to engulf her.

Her gaze falls on the figure coming out of the operation theatre. Composing herself, she runs up to Dr. Shalini.

"Ma'am..."

Naina's eyes meet the gaze of Dr. Shalini which were dry and emotionless.

"Naina, we took the bullet out of his arm. He is safe but still unconscious. He had hit his head hard on the ground. We are running x-rays on him to make sure there isn't any internal injuries"

Dr. Shalini informs Naina.

A single drop of grief wells up from the corner of Naina's eye and suddenly, the dam brakes. Hot torrents of grief courses down her face. She doesn't utter a single word, just stares at Dr. Shalini.

Understanding her condition, Dr. Shalini gives Naina a pat on her shoulder.

"Don't worry Naina. Major bohut strong hain. Wo bohut jaldi theek ho jayege"

Naina nods, her eyes fixed on Dr. Shalini. She tries to smile but it doesn't seem to come out naturally. As Dr. Shalini leaves to attend other patients, Naina makes herself comfortable back on the chair. She feels herself feeling relieved by the news of Rajveer's wellness. Only she knows how hard it is to control herself from not seeing her Rajveer sir.

On the other hand, Dr. Vidya Saxena walks inside a ward and her eyes spots Major Gunraj Singh Randhawa. She slowly takes steps towards him, examining his wounded body, stains of blood all over his clothes.

A lone of tear escapes from her eyes as the flashback of Vanch's death hits her. She turns around and immediately wipes away her tears in order for them to hide from Gunny.

"Are you okay, Doctor?"

She hears Gunny's voice. She turns around and finds a weak smile playing on Gunny's lips.

"Vidya bilkul theek hai lekin iss waqt aap theek nahi lag rahe. Aapke zakham bohut gehre hain Major"

She says as she starts applying medicine on Gunny's wounds.

"Ek sipahi ke zakhmon ki gehrai nahi naapi jaati Dr. Saxena"

Gunny says casually, causing Vidya to stop applying the medicine and she looks up and finds him already staring at her. They share an intense eye-lock.

Vidya looks away and continues to bandage Gunny.

"Ye Army ki koi famous line hai kya?"

She asks

"Kyun? Ye aapne kahin or bhi sunni hai?"

Gunny asks out of curiosity

She doesn't reply, just continues to do her work. He keeps staring her in order to wait for her response but she doesn't utter a single word.

Gunny slowly extends his right hand and soon, his hand grips her wrist causing her to gasp out of surprise. Her eyes widens and her gaze meets his.