43

Jasmine

"Okay, okay so I understand that I shouldn't pick fights, but—"

Travis rolls his eyes. "Roman, you shouldn't be fighting in school, you shouldn't be fighting at all!"

Roman huffs. "What do you think Auntie?"

I look down. Stern. Right. Travis said I should be a little sterner with Roman.

"Well what did he say?"

Roman clenched his jaw. "He called me a name. Let's just say he called me a name."

I shrug at Travis who shakes his head at me, silently telling me that that isn't enough.

I sigh. "What name was it?"

"It's a bad name, Auntie. And it's not even true. And he always does this. He's always picking on me and then Uncle Travis tells me I have to apologize and it makes me look like a wimp, it's why he keeps picking on me."

"I told you to apologize because they were going to suspend you!" Travis says in exasperation. "That is a good school, Roman and they teach you out of books that have covers. I didn't have that when I was growing up. Is it a history book? It's a surprise!"

I snort clearing my throat.

"I think this is all very simple," I stand. "Roman we'll invite him to a play date at a third party location, at which you will beat him up, but not in the face—"

"Miss!"

I shrug. "It's gotta happen. He's a bully and you don't tolerate bullies. If it happens on campus Roman will get expelled. If it happens at a park? Who's to say who really hit the asshole?"

I shrug.

Travis shakes his head rolling his eyes. "Fine. Fine. But no hitting him in the face. No broken bones. Just the torso maximum two very good hits."

Roman grins. "Yes! I'm gonna beat the snot out of that brat!" Roman shovels some mashed potatoes in his mouth grinning. "Oh Auntie, are you going to therapy on Thursday?"

"I am. Uncle Travis will be here of course."

Roman sighs, to which Travis tells him very flatly not to be too disappointed.

• • •

I close the door and Travis sits up in bed, scrolling through his phone.

"You know our four year anniversary is coming up," Travis remarks, "Let's reserve somewhere fancy."

I smiled. "I actually got you a present."

"Already? It's a month away," Travis sets his phone down.

I grin, "Would you rather, pierce me or me get a piercing and surprise you?"

He frowned. "Uh...I would rather pierce you, if I could."

I figured which is why, I shove my phone in his face.

"What's this Miss?"
"It's my appointment."
"For?"
"For my nose piercing."

He blinks. "You're gonna let me pierce you? Really? You're not screwing with me are ya?"

I look down at his chest. Our names fit in the space of his heart but he's left some. Just in case he says. Just in case.

I laugh. "Yeah, really. But if it hurts I won't do any more."

He laughs, giving me a kiss. "This is the best day ever!"

"Are you going to see Wes?" I ask.

He nods. "Yeah, I know you were going later this week but I wanted to go a little earlier."

"Okay," I kiss his head.

"I'll ask Roman if he wants to come, you can take Cora on your trip." He says, speaking of which.

"Roman!"
"Yeah?"
"Going to see your mom today. You wanna come?"
"Okay!"

Travis shrugs. "There we go. We'll go in an hour and be right back okay?"

I nod. "Alright. Tell her hello."

"I always do," he put on his shirt. "A piercing," he grins.

• • •