Prologue

September 1st, 1971 promised to be a hectic day at the Lupin residence, what with having an 11-year-old ready to attend his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. That would have been enough. But having another child a year and a half younger who desperately wanted her brother to stay home was causing twice the trouble. 

Eleanor Lupin was still stirring in her bed after her mother had woken her, pondering whether she should go downstairs to have breakfast with the rest of the family. 

"Ella?" She heard her mother on the other side of her bedroom door. 

"Come in," Eleanor mumbled. 

The door opened and Hope Lupin smiled sadly when she saw her daughter all huddled up under the blankets. She sat down on the edge of the bed and gently stroked her daughter's back.

 "We're having breakfast honey, your brother would like it when you're there too." 

At this Eleanor frowned and popped her head out, "He didn't seem to care yesterday whether I was with him or not. Surely he won't miss me now." 

Her mother sighed and shook her head. 

"That was because you had been nagging all day begging him not to go," she said softly, "and just now he asked me why you were taking so long." 

Eleanor looked into her mom's eyes and saw that she meant it. 

"Okay, I'll be right down," she said, getting out from under the covers. 

Mrs. Lupin smiled and left the room to give her daughter some space to get ready. Eleanor got out of bed and put on some clean clothes, then stood in front of the mirror to brush out her hair. She had always liked her blonde, curly hair, which now was shoulder length. Her eyes she liked as well, which were a soft green, just like her brother and father. Eleanor smiled to herself and put on her shoes.

She ran down the stairs, stumbling upon Remus' trunk in the hallway. Her heart sank. 

"Morning," she said walking into the kitchen, trying to sound as happy as possible. 

Eleanor took a seat next to her brother, who had almost finished his breakfast. 

"So you have finally decided not to starve," Remus chuckled. 

She smiled shortly and helped herself to some breakfast. They all turned their heads as they heard a loud crack coming from the front door. 

"Good morning Lupins!" Mr. Lupin said brightly, "Are we ready for this special day?" 

He set down his briefcase before kissing his wife and daughter on the cheek. He had just gotten back from the Ministry after receiving an urgent message. 

"Our big man's finally going to Hogwarts!" he beamed as he ruffled up Remus' hair, who grunted and threw a glance at his father. 

"Lyall please, it took me ages this morning to get his hair as neat as possible," Mrs. Lupin sighed.

"And I told you that there was no need mum. It'll be all messed up again before we even get to King's Cross." Remus said, getting up to help his mother with the dishes. 

"I still don't understand why you don't use magic to do that kind of stuff Hope," said Mr. Lupin, taking a bite of his toast. 

"Well, it might have escaped your notice over these past years, but-" she was cut off by her husband, "Oh yes right, you can't do magic, whoopsie." 

During all this, Eleanor hadn't even touched her food, being completely lost in her thoughts. 

Mr. Lupin looked up from the Daily Prophet, "You're being awfully quiet Elly, something wrong?" 

But she just shrugged at his remark. 

"Ella's still mad at me for going," Remus said. 

"That's not true! I'm not mad," she frowned, "Well at least not at you," she then gave her father a look. 

She was mad, just not at her brother, but at her parents for letting him go to Hogwarts. What would happen to him there during a full moon? Did they know back there what would help him calm down? What would keep him from running off? She hated the idea of not being able to be there for him when he had to through hell. And he knew that.

"Well, he's going, whether you like it or not," he said while checking his watch. 

Eleanor looked down and put away her cereal, not feeling hungry anymore.

"Oh, dear Merlin! Remus, go brush your teeth, your train leaves in thirty minutes!"

After Mr. Lupin had apparated all of them to Platform 9 3/4, twenty minutes had passed by. Mrs. Lupin and her children were in complete awe as they saw the Hogwarts Express in all its scarlet glory, making Mr. Lupin laugh. 

"Okay boy," he said as he crouched down, "you remember what Professor Dumbledore told you right?" 

Remus nodded knowingly. Eleanor gulped.

"You should go darling, or all the good seats will be taken," his mother smiled down at him, tearing up a bit. 

He hugged their dad and kissed their mother on the cheek before turning to his little sister, but she looked away. 

"Oh come on El, I'll be home with Christmas," he said, trying to get her to look at him. 

But Eleanor was crying, and she didn't want him to see her like that on his big day. 

Instead, she just hugged him and said, "Please be safe, I don't want you to get hurt." 

Remus smiled, "I promise, I'll come back in one piece." 

She let him go and wiped away her tears with the back of her hand. At last, Remus took his trunk and waved back at his family as he made his way over to the train. Eleanor watched as her brother stopped before a boy with messy, jet-black hair who wore glasses. They talked and laughed before boarding the Hogwarts Express together. Mrs. Lupin smiled, knowing those two would have a good time together. 

Eleanor felt a hand squeezing her shoulder gently. 

"He will be fine Elly, trust me," her father said softly, crouching down behind her, "Trust Dumbledore."