Chapter 32

The next day, Eleanor went down to the Great Hall for dinner along with Kathy. They had done their work for Care of Magical Creatures together in their dorm, but they lost track of time. It was now a quarter past six, and Eleanor had to hurry to make sure she would be at the Library in time.

"Hello, hello," she greeted Amelia and Doris, then sat down next to the latter. Kathy sat down opposite her.

She piled her plate  with mashed potatoes, peas and a sausage, then dug in immediately.

Doris raised an eyebrow at her. "Someone's hungry," she said with a chuckle.

Eleanor laughed. "Also, but I've got detention at seven and I'll be in even more trouble if I'm late," she explained.

"Oh right, I forgot about your little spat with Snape," Doris grinned.

They all continued to eat, until eventually the Marauders joined them. James and Remus seemed to be in a foul mood, Peter didn't look very comfortable either. Sirius, on the other hand, acted very strange.

The four sat down and helped themselves to some food. "My, did I hear some odd news today," Sirius said out of the blue, aggressively putting some broccoli on his plate.

Eleanor frowned as she drank a bit of water. James closed his eyes and sighed. "What is it?" she asked, oblivious to what was going on.

"Oh here we go," James groaned and rubbed his temple.

"What is it?" Sirius repeated, his brow turning into an angry frown. "What is it? You snogged my filthy brother that's what!" he bellowed.

Eleanor's mouth hung open in confusion. Several heads at the table turned. She heard Doris gasp beside her and Amelia and Kathy seemed to be taken aback as well.

"Merlin will you keep it down Padfoot!" Remus whisper-yelled at him.

Eleanor shook her head. "What on earth are you talking about?" she asked with furrowed eyebrows.

Sirius breathed heavily through his nose. "Snivellus came up to me today and told me he saw you two snogging in the Library and getting in detention for it!"

Her eyes shot over to the Slytherin table where she saw Snape eating with his friends. "Oh that slimey little git," she mumbled to herself. If looks could kill, Eleanor would've been in Azkaban now.

"So it's true then!" Sirius said with a laugh that screamed disbelief. "You actually did-"

"No of course not!" Eleanor interrupted him, her face livid with anger. "How could you actually believe a word that comes out of his filthy mouth?"

Sirius stared back at her. She couldn't quite make out his emotions, but she could tell he wasn't just angry - there was more.

"Then what happened? If you say it's not true then tell me, what did happen," he leaned forward, provoking her a bit.

Eleanor shook her head, not fathoming the fact that she actually had to make him believe her story over that of bloody Snivellus'.

Peter leaned forward a bit. "Maybe you shouldn't do this now," he said softly.

"No, it's fine Pete. The Slytherin part of Sirius would love to start a drama here in the middle of everything," Eleanor said sarcastically, looking straight at her accuser. Sirius chest rose and fell rapidly as his anger shot through his veins.

"Regulus and I were assigned to do a Potions project together-"

Sirius laughed, "Oh please, you must be joking."