Chapter 20

The full moon in October was on a Monday. Remus hated it when this happened, that he had to turn on a normal weekday. Because of that, he always missed a bunch of classes and had to catch up on a lot of school work when he eventually was felt better again.

But Eleanor was happy to see on a Thursday afternoon that James was helping him with his Astronomy charts, something Sirius would usually do.

James was, no doubt, the brightest student in his year and Sirius was a close second. Her brother was clever as well, but just when it came to a few subjects, like Defense Against the Dark Arts and Ancient Runes. He barely had to do anything for those classes.

"Since when do you do Astronomy James?" Eleanor approached them with a chuckle. James' light brown eyes found hers.

"Since Sirius is in detention with Professor McGonagall," he grinned. Remus let out a huff and shook his head while scribbling down some notes.

Eleanor sighed, "What did he do now?" She was surprised at how often that boy got detention. And the thing was, he didn't even seem to mind.

James' grin broadened as he thought back to the incident in class.

"You see McGonagall was just explaining some stuff, I can't even be bothered to remember what it was, but she was facing us you know," there was a glimmer of mischief in his eyes. "And the blackboard was empty." Even Remus couldn't suppress a slight grin at this point.

Eleanor sniggered. "Let me guess: he used his wand and wrote something on the board?"

"Professor McCantstoptalkingatall," he said laughing. Eleanor pinched her nose as she laughed as well.

Remus looked up from his parchment. "It was very funny until he lost focus because of the giggles coming from the class and he accidentally dropped the piece of chalk," he said with a smile, shaking his head.

James nodded. "So McGonagall turned around, saw what he wrote down, and got furious. Then she asked who did it and Sirius just raised his hand," he said in a way like he still couldn't believe it.

Eleanor frowned and chuckled. "Why in Godric's name would you do that?"

James shrugged. "He's always proud of his little pranks, especially when he does them on his own." Remus nodded before he continued his scribbling. He still had terrible handwriting.

She shook her head, turned around, and walked towards the portrait hole. She had agreed to meet Regulus in the Library at three-thirty.

"Where are you going?" Remus asked, noticing she was leaving. He still didn't know about her study sessions with Regulus, and she wanted to keep it that way.

She looked over her shoulder. "Library, studying," she said with a smile and then left the common room.

James' gaze followed her, a suspicious look in his eyes. He knew that eventually, the other boys would find out, but he did not want to be the one to cause the drama. James had a feeling that Eleanor knew what she was doing was wrong. Sirius would know sooner or later, and it wasn't going to be pretty.

***

Eleanor walked into the Library and went over to their usual desk. But she was surprised to find it empty. Odd. Regulus was usually the first one to be there.

She shrugged and sat down anyway, not thinking much of it. Eleanor grabbed her Potions book from her leather bag and opened it on the right page. They were discussing the Calming Draught now, not a very difficult potion in Eleanor's opinion. She decided to get a head start on Regulus and started taking notes as she read the pages of information.