Chapter 25

Over a week had passed and besides her occasional meetings with the Marauders to practice transfiguring, Eleanor could most of the time be found studying in the Library. She studied with her friends or just on her own, whatever suited her best on that day. Amelia had definitely noticed something was up with her, but every time she asked about the matter Eleanor just started to talk about something else.

The truth was that Eleanor herself didn't even know what was wrong. That night after seeing Sirius with that girl, who she learned was Denice Wiley, her heart ached every time she thought back at it. It definitely didn't help when she found out the two were actually dating. Even James had tried to confront her with it, but she didn't want to hear it. She had other things to be bothered with than something silly such as that. 

The only person who wasn't aware of anything was Regulus, and each time they met up to just go over their Potions assignments together, Eleanor felt like a weight was lifted from her chest. At least, that's what she thought.

The two of them were sitting together at their usual desk in the Library on a Tuesday afternoon, writing their essays on the Calming Draught. It was also the day of that month's full moon, and Remus had gone to the Hospital Wing to stay there that morning. He had only told her, she hadn't visited him like she usually would. Eleanor didn't feel like it.

"Were you at the match Saturday?" Regulus asked her with furrowed eyebrows. Ravenclaw had played Hufflepuff and lost with two hundred ten to seventy.

"Yeah, I was, but it was really boring," she said flatly. Regulus chuckled beside her.

Eleanor continued to write, trying to get her essay finished. But Regulus seemed to have other things on his mind when she noticed he was tapping his fingers nervously. She got to learn that he did that when he was really focused, or nervous. Just like she picked at her earlobe when she studied.

Eleanor put down her quill. "Okay, what's wrong," she said and turned to him.

"Well- it's just that I've seen you kind of avoiding James and his little gang-"

"Bloody hell, not you as well," she groaned, rubbing her temple. Regulus raised his eyebrows and Eleanor gave him a sideways look.

"Have you been stalking me?" she asked him with a grin. He rolled her eyes but she noticed his cheeks flush a little anyway.

"Of course I haven't, who do you take me for?" he snorted, "But I've just noticed for example with dinner and stuff that you don't really sit with them anymore." He leaned back and crossed his arms over his chest.

Eleanor shrugged. "I've just got other things on my mind right now, as should they," she said with a frown. She continued to write. "Bloody OWLs coming up but they never even bother to study."

"Well, I dunno about the others but I know Sirius doesn't need to," Regulus said while fidgeting with one of the buttons on the cuff of his shirt. Eleanor stopped writing and thought for a second. Regulus had never spoken to her about his brother. It always felt like a sort of taboo to her.

She lifted her head up a bit and put a strand of hair behind her ear. "Have you two ever talked after what happened?" she asked softly. His grey eyes turned away from her and he shook his head.

"I'm gonna ask him to come back though when we go home for the Christmas holidays," Regulus mumbled. Eleanor's eyes widened slightly in surprise. 

"Chances are slim he will, of course. He probably likes it way better with the Potters." Eleanor knew for a fact that that was true, Sirius would never go back to 'that hellhole,' as he always put it.