𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐞. - 𝐓𝐨 𝐃𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐭 𝐎𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬

(𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐩𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠)

𝐀/𝐍: This story will contain spoilers to the Genshin Impact story please read with discretion, also a lot of this will be written from my perspective and won't always be true to the story as we don't know the full story of Xiao I will be creating my own story for him! There also will be depictions of violence blood etc. through this story so also be aware of that but will add warnings about anything to each chapter'. 

This Chapter is just a quick backstory of Xiao, (so feel free to skip) I also want to note that this story won't necessarily be 'cannon' to genshin impact.

𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐞. - 𝐓𝐨 𝐃𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐭 𝐎𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬

"Terror made me cruel . . ." - Emily Bronte

In the bloom of the qingxin flowers and as the darkness left its rein, parting ways with the sky for yet another day as the golden light of the sun reflected off the lakes of Liyue and the boy stood watching from above. 

At the start of a new year, something felt different as if he wasn't alone, as if someone was standing right beside him, he felt warm, he didn't like it. 

It is said that the sun was captured by his eyes because of his purity, but this was before his hatred was formed and darkness prevailed. In evil there is good, in good there is evil. The boy seemed to fall in both categories, he was neither good nor evil but possessed both qualities, to an extent or was that just what he believed of himself?

It had been 2,000 years since he committed devastation of which he vowed he would never hurt a pure soul again nor open his heart to anyone again. The anger in himself only pushed everyone away and was what he thought he deserved. He didn't seem to be able to grasp the real damage he inflicted on the ones who loved him as he merely thought it was for the best. Never could he look anyone in the eye again since he was re-born, blessed by Morax himself. 

He stayed hidden for 2,000 years, only revealing himself to those who needed him but no matter how much he helped others he could never redeem himself.

That was until one day, the boy was roaming the lands of Liyue listening for those who spoke his name, even though he was immortal the torture he put himself through started wearing on his body.

He was resting, propping himself on the trunk of a tree while leaning on his spear and closing his eyes, he couldn't stop himself from enveloping the darkness of sleep as the horror of his memories welcomed him, holding him down as the boy tried to cry for help. The hands of the lives who he claimed, prying at his body, clawing at his skin, screaming. He yelled in pain, over and over again.

"Xiao, Xiao, Xiao" again and again, over and over.

"Stop, please" The boy begged

"You did this to us, it's all your fault, all your fault" The voices were getting louder, their bony hands digging deeper into his skin, he screamed louder

"I'm sorry", he cried

The voices pulled him down drowning him in darkness, he couldn't breathe.

These dreams would find him every time he fell asleep, which he chooses to avoid but even an Adeptus as powerful as Xiao has to succumb to sleep sometimes.

Xiao!

He awoke in a cold sweat, jerking upright, in front of him a woman. He shot up into a menacing stance holding his polearm by his side, not sensing a threat from the woman.

"Who are you?" He spoke, something he rarely did, his voice was husky after awakening. He spoke in a short tone.

"Hello Xiao, I have heard much about you, but I have never once expected to meet you" the woman continued to speak of meaningless chit-chat while she studied the boy, his face made of porcelain, his lean figure as he breathed unsteadily and used the staff to support himself "I mean you no harm, I wanted to help, I see you may be one not to accept help but consider it thanks for saving my father, I'm Verr Goldet"

Xiao's eyes widened just for a moment "Nonsense, it is my duty mortal" he said in monotone. The women smiled.

Since then Xiao has adapted Wangshu inn as his temporary "home" though he would never class it as that. His favourite spot was the rooftop of the inn where he could hide from everyone, the view on the inn enraptured him but what he loved most was Verr's almond tofu.

"Xiao, I have some almond tofu for you, I do hope you are resting" Verr rested the plate of delicacy on the railing of the balcony, a loud thump sounded behind her as the yaksha appeared from behind her "An evil woman, trying to bribe an Adeptus - tsk," Xiao growled. The woman chuckled as she walks back down to the reception. "Thank you" Xiao spoke quietly. Verr smiled facing away from the boy. As much as Xiao denied it to himself he cared much for Verr, she cared for him like a mother.